Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:47 PM

37 posts, read 17,909 times

Advertisements

I write checks to my housekeeper and my hairdresser, so approximately 3 checks a month. For everything else I use electronic bill pay or my debit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 05:17 PM

15,616 posts, read 9,279,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
You do realize that those can bounce, too, right? Where I worked, a LOT more electronic bank checking, and ACH through our website, bounced than paper checks. And, because of it, the accounts were deleted and they'd have to start over again to get it re-set up.
ACH is a 2 business day transaction. Checks are a 5 to 10 business day transaction, after you get the check deposited. If a payment to you bounces, do you want to know about it in two days, or 10 plus days?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 PM

3,096 posts, read 1,703,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
ACH is a 2 business day transaction. Checks are a 5 to 10 business day transaction, after you get the check deposited. If a payment to you bounces, do you want to know about it in two days, or 10 plus days?
Many people with ACH or electronic transfer didn't "find out" until a good month or two later when the next bill didn't get paid, then all of a sudden they get notices for water shut-off. Automatic notices are sent to them but I assume they often go into their junk mail or perhaps they don't check email often. Also, you'd be amazed at how many people don't pay attention to their monthly bills, and I think the automatic options make some of them lazy.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 PM

26,218 posts, read 21,735,603 times
Quote:
The management company for my apartment, accepts cash, checks, credit cards, debit cards, and automatic bank transfers. Personally if I was a landlord I wouldn't accept anything other than a direct debit from their bank account. What if a tenant's check bounces? I could be weeks before you even know there is a problem.
Are you sure you wouldn't run into legal issues with this?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:23 PM

102,368 posts, read 108,666,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My wife is old-fashioned and she still insists on writing checks at the supermarket and sending bills in via snail mail. Wondering how prevalent this is.

The reason I ask is that our local supermarket had a glitch on Saturday that caused them to reject our check. Luckily our bank has a branch in the store and I went over & withdrew cash to pay for the groceries. Wondering how a supermarket can survive with such a flaky system but I'm thinking nobody really uses check but us (well, my wife; I use a debit card when I shop!)
I still sometimes use checks at the store, or to pay out-of-pocket health care providers. Mostly I pay w/credit card, then make a payment on the card. That way, I rack up a lot of points on the card, that I can cash out later. I don't own a debit card. IMO they make money even easier to spend than a credit card. But with a debit card, it's easier to mess up and overdraw. I just don't need the added quick spending capacity. And yes, I pay bills by snail mail.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:27 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,316,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I use a credit card and pay the bill using direct checking via online banking. Why waste paper?
Ditto, and use a credit card with a 2% cash refund

Old 09-01-2017, 12:53 PM

20,779 posts, read 20,101,640 times
Quote:
If I was a landlord the only way I would accept rent payments is through automatic bank transfers. If the tenant didn't want to agree to let me debit their bank account, I would find another tenant. The last thing I would want, is to find out a week or two later that their check bounced, and they don't have money to pay their rent. I would want to know that immediately, so I could start the eviction process.

hell yeah!!! When my tenants paid me in cash, I got it late every so often and with excuses and partial and what not.
Since I insisted on automatic bank draft, I get the money. In time. Full amount. No dumb excuses.

If I trust them with my house, they should trust me with giving me their bank info, for christs sakes. Also, if you do background checks, you get their SSN, isn't that way more "personal?""

Old 09-01-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Are you sure you wouldn't run into legal issues with this?
I believe it would be legal everywhere except California, and many landlords in California require it anyway.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Many people with ACH or electronic transfer didn't "find out" until a good month or two later when the next bill didn't get paid, then all of a sudden they get notices for water shut-off. Automatic notices are sent to them but I assume they often go into their junk mail or perhaps they don't check email often. Also, you'd be amazed at how many people don't pay attention to their monthly bills, and I think the automatic options make some of them lazy.
I don't know how that would be possible, unless they didn't have funds in their account. In which case their water should be cut off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance