Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 AM

10,386 posts, read 8,067,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHS View Post
I use both but mostly do the same as your wife. At least by sending a check through the mail you know your payment will get there.
Actually, you don't. I've had checks I've mailed get lost in the mail on more then one occasion (and for some important payments, too, like student loan payments). And when you use online bill pay, you receive an electronic receipt immediately, so there's no doubt that the payment went through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:06 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,611,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I would NEVER use a debit card. I told my banks not to send a debit card, just a plain atm card. I use reward credit cards to pay for things like gas, supermarkets,Target, Walmart etc and write one check to the credit card company. I have gotten a lot of free hotels and airline flights using reward cards. I could also use cash back rebate cards and probably get even a better deal.

Debit cards do not have the protection of credit cards.

"Debit cards are inferior to credit cards"

"Debit cards are inferior to cash"

The one and only reason to have a ‘piece of trash’ debit card

"Debit cards are not protected like credit cards, which means if your debit card is compromised, the potential damage can be pretty severe.

Since a debit card is linked to your bank account, anyone with your card information can get instant access to all your funds. With a credit card, you’re billed for transactions later, so the damage of theft is handled differently. "

This is the only safe way to use a debit card | Clark Howard

"Long called ‘piece of trash fake Visas and fake MasterCards’ by Clark, debit cards are overwhelmingly inferior to credit cards for several reasons."

9 places you should never use a debit card | Clark Howard

Your wife is correct. Get rid of the debit card ASAP! Get a good cash back rebate card or rewards card or pay cash.

Why You Should Avoid Using your Debit Card at Merchants

Basically a myth - although a very popular one. All big bank debit cards have zero-liability policies for fraudulent purchases. I've had two fraudulent purchases - i got my money credited to my account pending investigation quicker than with a credit card that was swiped. (All were corrected - but the credit card can have FICO number consequences if you are not careful with following up). When it comes down to it the only real difference is points vs no points. Which to many people don't amount to a hill of nothing. However, unless you pay your credit cards off in full each month the money you spent using credit is more expensive than that debited from your bank account. And when it comes down to spending money that you do have versus spending money that you don't have - a debit card wins hands down.

This tripe has been peddled out for years now as expert advice even tho facts have overtaken it. And credit card companies are not stupid - they make way, way more from your interest payments than they lose giving out points (interest is actually the majority source of their revenue, not merchant/transaction fees). Credit card money is expensive. Even more so for those that charge an annual fee.

Last edited by bg7; 08-29-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:49 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,050,749 times
1. CC for all purchases

2. Never use the debit card

3. Always write checks for bills - We were going to try electronic bill paying but when I was talking to a representative from my bank they told me half of my payees were still not linked so they would be mailing those checks. At that point I ended my experiment with electronic bill paying. If the bank is going to mail a check I'd rather do it myself. Now that was a few years ago. I'm sure most of the payees are now linked but be forewarned. You may want to check which payees are not linked.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:50 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,460,509 times
My bank ATM card is never used as a debit card in a store. I only ever use it in bank-owned ATM machines. I have no interest in unwinding the huge mess that happens if your card gets cloned. I use a credit card for everything that will take it. I use online pay straight out of my household checking account for everything else and most of that is configured to auto-pay in full.

I do have to write some paper checks. The quarterly condo fee, quarterly property tax bill, and sewer bill at my Vermont ski place are paper checks. 3 or 4 boat yard/dinghy dock bills and the mooring service guy are paper checks. I doubt I write more than 20 paper checks per year. The book of stamps in my wallet lasts a year or so.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:59 AM

766 posts, read 454,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Actually, you don't. I've had checks I've mailed get lost in the mail on more then one occasion (and for some important payments, too, like student loan payments). And when you use online bill pay, you receive an electronic receipt immediately, so there's no doubt that the payment went through.
Oh, there's no doubt that both have their drawbacks. I was just saying that I personally feel more comfortable using "snail mail" when it comes to paying bills.

And I stand by my belief that the internet will one day go down. Even for an hour, it doesn't matter how long. And when it does, what will the people who rely on it for their everyday business and needs do then?

Old 08-29-2017, 12:28 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,508,736 times
Quote:
And I stand by my belief that the internet will one day go down. Even for an hour, it doesn't matter how long. And when it does, what will the people who rely on it for their everyday business and needs do then?
You should stand by it. Some years back, my ISP was out of service for a whole month. Some major facility had failed, and I would not have Internet for however long it took for them to restore it. They wouldn't even have credited me for the fee had I not raised hell, and they seemed to think I was being very unreasonable not to want to pay for something I wasn't receiving.

The answer is simple: even if you pay your bills online, you need to be able to mail checks if it comes down to that. Because the Internet isn't always on, everywhere, any more than is any technological development. Pieces break and need replacement. When those times come, one can do it the old way.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 PM

10,386 posts, read 8,067,481 times
Quote:
Use alternate methods of payment, of course. Pay-by-phone and mailing a check via snail mail are still alternatives. And it's really only an issue if the lack of internet access lasts more than a day or two.

"But what if the internet goes down, oh noes!" is just silly hand-wringing. What if postal delivery goes down? Do you worry much about that? It happens - I doubt much mail is being picked up or delivered in Houston right now. Large-scale weather events have made mail deliveries a mass for days over big areas of the US multiple times in the past, but even in the pre-internet days we somehow muddled through.

People should use whatever form of bill pay the prefer and feel comfortable with, but remember in case of disruptions there's more than one way to get things done.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:32 PM

1,462 posts, read 984,963 times
I use a CC for most purchases and only write checks to the gardeners for my rental properties (4 times a year). All other payments are electronically done. I don't have a debit card, only ATM card.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:05 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,460,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
The answer is simple: even if you pay your bills online, you need to be able to mail checks if it comes down to that. Because the Internet isn't always on, everywhere, any more than is any technological development. Pieces break and need replacement. When those times come, one can do it the old way.
Huh? I have broadband internet at my house. I have a personal WiFi hotspot on my smartphone if I want to use my laptop instead of my iPhone and my broadband service is down. Beyond that, I have neighbors who would happily give me their WiFi password. I can walk/bicycle/drive 1/2 mile and get WiFi at dozens of businesses.

I only mail paper checks to those few places mired in the dark ages where I can't pay any other way. It's a pretty short list.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:20 PM

3,096 posts, read 1,703,382 times
Check-writing is still a lot more common than you all think. I just retired from a utility-billing company and you would be amazed at how many people still write checks. I think most use the payment website to pay from credit or debit, and let me tell you, we had a TON more problems with those than with checks bouncing.

And with the exception of our car insurance, I, too, pay bills with checks. It works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance