Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 PM

10,386 posts, read 8,060,109 times

Advertisements

I still write a few paper checks on rare occasions (such as the one I just wrote to tip my pet sitter), but most of my bills are paid via credit cards and online banking. I never use a debit card to do anything other than withdraw cash from an ATM.

My parents still write checks, though. They're not comfortable with online banking, and my mother isn't comfortable with computers at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 05:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,448,092 times
After having my debit card cloned - twice - I no longer use one. Ever.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,402,852 times
I know people who make their retail purchases with cash. They have checking accounts and maybe one credit card that they use for hotels and online purchases. But they prefer cash and carry at least $500 with them at all times.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:31 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,672,263 times
I write 13 checks a year. 1 per month, except in April I write two.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:33 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,672,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I know people who make their retail purchases with cash. They have checking accounts and maybe one credit card that they use for hotels and online purchases. But they prefer cash and carry at least $500 with them at all times.
My husband only uses cash.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:39 PM

3,252 posts, read 6,335,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My wife is old-fashioned and she still insists on writing checks at the supermarket and sending bills in via snail mail. Wondering how prevalent this is.
I would NEVER use a debit card. I told my banks not to send a debit card, just a plain atm card. I use reward credit cards to pay for things like gas, supermarkets,Target, Walmart etc and write one check to the credit card company. I have gotten a lot of free hotels and airline flights using reward cards. I could also use cash back rebate cards and probably get even a better deal.

Debit cards do not have the protection of credit cards.

"Debit cards are inferior to credit cards"

"Debit cards are inferior to cash"

The one and only reason to have a ‘piece of trash’ debit card

"Debit cards are not protected like credit cards, which means if your debit card is compromised, the potential damage can be pretty severe.

Since a debit card is linked to your bank account, anyone with your card information can get instant access to all your funds. With a credit card, you’re billed for transactions later, so the damage of theft is handled differently. "

This is the only safe way to use a debit card | Clark Howard

"Long called ‘piece of trash fake Visas and fake MasterCards’ by Clark, debit cards are overwhelmingly inferior to credit cards for several reasons."

9 places you should never use a debit card | Clark Howard

Your wife is correct. Get rid of the debit card ASAP! Get a good cash back rebate card or rewards card or pay cash.

Why You Should Avoid Using your Debit Card at Merchants

Old 08-28-2017, 05:53 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,783,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Who still uses a debit card over credit?
I also use a credit card for everything so I get my airline points. Then I pay the bill of course. I have checks, but couldn't tell you the last time I used one!

Old 08-28-2017, 07:26 PM

6,660 posts, read 7,406,310 times
Very few checks.
I use my banks bill pay system for most bills.
I would never use a debit card. Less secure than a credit card. Use credit card all the time. If you have a problem paying in full each month then I would use the debit card.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,232,782 times
I will not ever use a debit card. Period.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,262,972 times
In my 18 years as an adult, I've never used a debit card. I use a credit card for about 90% of my transactions, but I still write checks for contractors, gifts, and my landscaper. I was always told the dangers of using your debit card and the risk of overdraft, fees, and declined transaction if someone fraudulently drains your account. A credit card, on the other hand, limits your liability and protects your current funds sitting in your checking account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance