Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 08:55 AM

22,458 posts, read 29,640,968 times

Advertisements

At my job it seems to be the seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 AM

25,845 posts, read 20,783,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Check-writing is still a lot more common than you all think. I just retired from a utility-billing company and you would be amazed at how many people still write checks. I think most use the payment website to pay from credit or debit, and let me tell you, we had a TON more problems with those than with checks bouncing.

And with the exception of our car insurance, I, too, pay bills with checks. It works for me.
For me as well.

I pay rent, electric, gas, water... with checks every month.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,929,709 times
i renewed my passport earlier this year and had to go digging to find my checkbook in order to send payment with my renewal application. Before that, no idea when I last wrote a check. I pay my rent in cash (making sure to get a receipt), prior to this landlord, I paid electronically via my bank. All bills are paid online - I prefer to pay via the biller's website, rather than my bank's bill pay, so it posts faster, and cuts out a middleman. Some do get paid via the bank, though. Every payday, I open my spreadsheet and go down the list, takes approximately 5 minutes start to finish.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,101,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
For me as well.

I pay rent, electric, gas, water... with checks every month.
Why??

Old 08-30-2017, 09:12 AM

9,403 posts, read 7,049,319 times
I write checks for Rent, daycare, and our annual tax payments (if I owe). All else is CC and never a DC.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:28 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,576,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Same with rent checks - so stupid.
Your landlord takes credit card? Do they charge any fees?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:38 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,101,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Your landlord takes credit card? Do they charge any fees?
Is this a serious question?

Every time I rented I paid via automatic bank transfer. You don't have to think about it every month, it is free, no stamps, no driving anywhere. The most convenient way to pay bills. And you have proof they got it.

I tell you a secret - you can do the same with ALL regular payments like utilities.

If you don't trust them withdrawing the correct amount, you can go on their page and look up your usage and history. Every month you get an email with the bill and the note that it will be automatically deducted from your Credit Card or bank account, however you please.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:21 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,576,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Is this a serious question?
Every time I rented I paid via automatic bank transfer. You don't have to think about it every month, it is free, no stamps, no driving anywhere. The most convenient way to pay bills. And you have proof they got it.
It was serious. We haven't rented in a long, long time. When we were renters, I remember trying to use my cards to get points, but no one would allow it.

We're landlords now, but all our tenants just send regular checks. Is your landlord a company or individual?

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 08-30-2017 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,353,141 times
I use a check for a few things:

Rent (only option for me, in spite of what oh-eve chooses to believe)
Utilities (small town, only option)
Vehicle registration (service charge for paying online, paying at the office would require taking time off)
Auctions (only if I don't have enough cash)
Donations (only if I don't have cash)
Large private-party purchases (if I want a record of the transaction, Joe Blow doesn't take debit)
Large purchases at small local retailers (to save them the card fees)
Those rare occasions when I need to buy something the night before payday and I don't have the funds in my checking account (easier than transferring funds).

Old 08-30-2017, 10:35 AM

26,218 posts, read 21,735,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i had no problem in the one instance i had fraud on a debit card but i would still not use a debit card over a credit credit .

nothing is a problem with a debit card compared to a credit card -that is until there is a problem that is not instantly resolved with debit cards .

just wait until an event is put under investigation by a debit card issuer and they decide against you .

it happens and there are horror stories in all the forums where these things are discussed . not every debit card fraud is open and closed immediately or rule in your favor .especially when pins are involved . the exposure is far greater with debit cards . i see zero reason for using one over a credit card , ever , unless you can't manage your own finances .

you can argue it all you want but i see little reason to ever expose my checking account vs simply using someone else's money by using a credit card .

i worked for many years in one of the worst areas in nyc . i never got mugged ,. but would i risk living there ? not on a bet .

Yup the debit card isn't a problem until it is. I've had credit cards locked up while traveling and just move to the next credit card. With multiple on hand and the debit card as a last resort it's not been an issue. We traveled with a friend to vegas and Wells Fargo locked her debit card, it was her only method of payment and thankfully we paid to Uber her to a Wells branch where they reissued a new card on the spot. Luck was on her side that there was a branch in town and they had the ability to issue a new card on the spot otherwise we would have had to give her cash which isn't a problem for us but messy if she was alone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance