Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:10 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
Wow! I am amazed at how many seem to be "debt free"! I was begining to think there werent many of us left. I use cc's all the time, but pay them in full. I use them both for the perks and to keep my fico up. We own our home, so cc's are really the only way to keep up the fico. sometimes i'll use a card with 0-2.9% and keep a balance for 3-6 mos (money in savings).
I think the posters on this thread don't represent the normal consumer.
Good for us though.

I personally carry about $100 in cash, a debit and one credit card. Cash for small items, debit for groceries / household stuff, credit for larger purchases such as clothing, meals, etc. I have a seperate credit card used exclusively for internet purchases. Both credit cards are paid of in full every month. I keep track of EVERY penny spent.

Agreed that a credit card is a must if you want to establish credit. Too many cards are bad - especially if you don't use them OR if you abuse them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
I charge everything on my Rewards card and pay it off each month. My reward is usually about $50 every other month.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,678,258 times
I use credit cards for about everything, and NEVER carry a balance. I've had a few cards yanked due to my paying in full every month. But, there's so many issuers out there that I don't think I'll ever run out. I've read that the credit card companies make money on you if you charge $250, or more a month (through the fees merchants pay). The only time I pay cash is on a large purchase that I can finagle a "cash discount" from the merchant.

Cash discounts can't be advertised because the merchant would lose their credit card accounts. The First Commandment of Visa/MasterCard is: Thou Shalt not charge more for credit.

Thus, merchants have to set their prices with the credit card fee included. It's really kind of unfair that people who pay cash, pay higher prices because of all us plastic users.

No debit cards for me...they lack a lot of the safeguards and benefits of credit cards.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Cash discounts can't be advertised because the merchant would lose their credit card accounts. The First Commandment of Visa/MasterCard is: Thou Shalt not charge more for credit.

Thus, merchants have to set their prices with the credit card fee included. It's really kind of unfair that people who pay cash, pay higher prices because of all us plastic users.
I go to a gas station that DOESN'T accept credit cards - cash only, but sells gas for about 20 cents less than the other competitors nearby. It's always fun to watch someone come into the station and wonder why they can't swipe their card at the pump. I tell them they don't take cards and that's why the prices are cheaper.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:17 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,937,412 times
I never pay cash for anything, ever. $3.50 at Starbucks - charge it. $2.99 at Subway -charge it. $1.20 for M&M's - charge it. I have no shame. I never carry a balance. I love my Amex card and my reward points love me.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
I got 30,000 points on my Amazon card last year....and yeah, I pay it off every month. Hell, I pay it off the next day.

That's 300 bucks of free Amazon crap. Woot.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
I don't get it, but I see people using a credit card at the supermarket to buy $5 worth of stuff. Is it that much of a hardship to carry some cash (walking around money)?
It's just easy.

Quote:
I also don't use credit cards and pay cash for everything. I like the idea of keeping my buying habits anonymous. With credit cards, there is a record of everything you buy. It also prevents identity theft, such as having a restaurant waiter keeping a record for himself to use for fraudulent purposes.
You do have a point here, but Big Brother knows pretty much everything about you anyway. Knowing what you eat, drink, and wear is just another small drop in the bucket. Once you pay cash, it's your problem if something goes wrong with a purchase or service whereas credit card companies will work on the disputes for you and usually solve them. Btw, I've read you may get a discount on a big-ticket item if you use cash (probably up to the amount credit card companies charge), but have never tried it. Has any of you cash users attempted to do it?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,926 times
We just paid off all of our credit card debt this month. YAY!!!!!!!! We were stupid and young and really racked up the debt. We pulled from an IRA account to pay some of it off, stopped using them, paid what we could each month, and then paid the what was left off with our tax refund. The only debt we have now are student loans and our mortgage. It feels terriffic!!! We won't be using the credit cards at all now unless there is a real emergency that requires more money than we have. Eventually, I think we might put all of our Costco purchases on our AX (we get money back to use at Costco each year when we do this) and then pay it in full each month, but it will be a long time before we do this. That idea is what got us into trouble the first time. Oh well, big lesson learned. Fortunately, we have very good credit.

Now, we're working on saving somewhere between $5-10K for an emergency/savings fund, and saving up for our next trip to Maui, then Manhattan, then remodeling the condo. I can't tell you how great it feels to not have any more credit card debt.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
We just paid off all of our credit card debt this month. YAY!!!!!!!! We were stupid and young and really racked up the debt. We pulled from an IRA account to pay some of it off, stopped using them, paid what we could each month, and then paid the what was left off with our tax refund. The only debt we have now are student loans and our mortgage. It feels terriffic!!! We won't be using the credit cards at all now unless there is a real emergency that requires more money than we have. Eventually, I think we might put all of our Costco purchases on our AX (we get money back to use at Costco each year when we do this) and then pay it in full each month, but it will be a long time before we do this. That idea is what got us into trouble the first time. Oh well, big lesson learned. Fortunately, we have very good credit.

Now, we're working on saving somewhere between $5-10K for an emergency/savings fund, and saving up for our next trip to Maui, then Manhattan, then remodeling the condo. I can't tell you how great it feels to not have any more credit card debt.
Congratulations! Way to go! I hope more and more people follow the same philosophy of saving up before purchases, and keeping/saving up an emergency fund. Good Job!

-chuck22b

Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
Tore up all cards after we paid them off. We only use A.E for the points and pay the bill off every month. Feels so good to be debt free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance