Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,196,803 times

Advertisements

I just want to see how many people live without using credit cards.

How many of you are actually in a position to pay cash for everything(excluding mortgage) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:15 AM

184 posts, read 1,545,490 times
I'm able to pay cash for everything, but I use credit cards for the convenience of not having to carry either a checkbook or more than $200 in cash around with me. I pay all credit card balances in full every month; those guys don't ever make a dime on me, and it lets me keep my money in the bank for those few days or weeks longer. I also have a dedicated credit card that I use for Internet purchases only; again, it gets paid in full each month.

I also earn 'reward points' on those cards, which in turn I redeem for gift certificates to Amazon, which is where I buy all my books, CDs, DVDs, etc.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 AM

116 posts, read 437,040 times
Default Most people under 40 use Credit or Debit for nearly everything

I have a relative who works at a grocery store and he says as time passes fewer and fewer people are using cash. This is especially true for people under forty. I charge on my Citicorp Mastercard all my grocery and gasoline charges and all my utilities. From this we get enough Thankyou points for two round trip airline tickets a year. This is worth about $800. Why use cash for these type of purchases with the nice perks?
We do pay the bill in full every month and do not buy anything we can not afford or pay immediately. It is not free money, just the perks are!

Last edited by politically_correct; 03-18-2008 at 07:21 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 06:45 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,266,625 times
My husband and I have used them in the past but have quickly learned to live without them.. We are in our 30's and see so many of our friends use them irresponsibly, it's nuts. Debt makes us crazy so we decided to chuck them unless its for airline tickets or such..

Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,655,105 times
we use credit cards for everything! we pay the full amount each month. I rarely have more than $20 cash on me at any time.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,410,739 times
I owe $200 dollars right now on it,that will be paid off by the end of the month.I use them for convenience,you need one to buy online but these days but I pay it off.

I'm seeing my CD and money market account dwindle in paid interest so that means I'll be spending even less.If it gets to the point where my money savings isn't making money I might as well at that point use the money and buy another house this time cash and have no rent or mortgage.

5% on a CD or moneymarket was a nice monthly cash flow,now it's down to 3%,don't want to buy a house but maybe I will if this keeps up.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,884,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
The only reason I would ever use my credit cards is to keep my credit score high. I buy something for less than $100 every 6 months or so, then pay it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
How many of you are actually in a position to pay cash for everything(excluding mortgage) ?
I am, and that's probably because I'm not paying interest on credit cards.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,071,821 times
I just started to strategically use my CC. since the Debt card came out until 2 years ago I haven't used CC. I'm using them now to increase my CC score more and better positioning myself for future loans real estate or commercial. I'd love to hit 800 CC score So I use one and pay it off at the end of the month.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,989,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post

My wife and I use credit cards for nearly all purchases. We always pay the bills in full each month as well. The cards we use give us between 1-5% cash back on all purchases. We thus make money by using the cards. A good deal for sure.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,059,738 times
if you don't use credit cards....you don't build your credit. If you don't build your credit, your FICO score will not be as high. Responsible use of credit cards IS important to build your credit and make it a stellar score (750-800)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance