Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,519,403 times

Advertisements

Yes, we have (USED to have) credit cards, but we decided, my wife and I, to cut them all up, pay them down, and go cold cash. This is in preparation for retirement, in about another 2 years. We cannot find anyone on these forums who will admit to misusing credit cards. And yet - I think we can all agree that many Americans are misusing them. Just nobody on these forums!

I am not afraid to admit that at times, we did misuse them. Carried balances , the whole nine yards. Paid everything on time, great credit score, BUT we found that it was cramping our lifestyle. Too much money going to pay down debt for something that was probably already used and gone. But it is so easy, on the front end (buying) to pull out that plastic...

We agreed, no more. We also agreed that we cared NOTHING for "FICO scores" or credit reports. We are not applying for any credit - so why worry about having a high FICO score??? We figured that it was the merchants and big corporations behind these credit bureaus anyway - and we were right. Just another scheme to see how many gullible Americans can be lured into the credit/debt trap. They are making money off anybody who uses the plastic. They know very well that everybody runs into tough times sooner or later, and will use that card for something that will require carrying a balance! If it never happens, then the person has no pulse. It's just the way life works.

So...we decided that was going to be it. Gone, long gone, just about paid and wonder of wonders! We actually have extra CASH at the end of the month ! That gets socked into retirement savings. I just can't figure out, where are all the indebted Americans going bankrupt by the day? Perhaps they just don't post on these forums!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:17 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,887,060 times
We use credit cards for gas, prescriptions as we get cash back. Thing is as soon as bill arrives we pay in full immediately. Mortgage-thankfully we are mortgage free.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 97,051,418 times
We use credit cards for most purcheses but always pay at the end of the month.We only use checks to pay some bills and cash for odds and ends.Most use credit cads that offer gas discounts and cash back tho.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,558,815 times
I despise credit cards for experiential reasons, but they seem a necessary part of life. Emergencies, and who can carry the cash around. Many stores, etc., balk at getting a check payment, also. I have only one credit card, and it's the kind you have to pay back every month...I have not chosen the option to stretch out payments with interest. I pay it within 10 days of receiving the bill.

I consider myself fortunate that I can do this at this time. It's a very real problem that many people have no other option but to stretch out payments and pay absurdly high interest, sometimes for necessities.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM

469 posts, read 1,873,866 times
I only use my credit card when making online purchases. Other than that, I just my debit card or cash. I try and avoid using my ONE credit card.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,280,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We cannot find anyone on these forums who will admit to misusing credit cards. And yet - I think we can all agree that many Americans are misusing them. Just nobody on these forums!

I just can't figure out, where are all the indebted Americans going bankrupt by the day? Perhaps they just don't post on these forums!
*shyly raises hand* I used to be one of the people you can't find.

I had 7 credit cards, all on the verge of being maxed out all of the time. It wasn't eating out & having my hair & nails done, it was a paycheck that did not go up as fast as gas/groceries/insurance/etc.

My paycheck covered the bills, but there was nothing left for food or gas or anything. At that time I did not have a computer, a cell phone, cable, or anything that was not an absolute need. I was having to buy groceries & gas on credit, and I was drowning in debt. I hated every minute of it.

I made the tough decision to sell my house, quit my job, and move out of state to start my own business. I paid off those credit cards, cut them up, and never looked back. Is my business successful? Not really. Do I buy food and pay 17% interest on it? Not anymore.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,216,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, we have (USED to have) credit cards, but we decided, my wife and I, to cut them all up, pay them down, and go cold cash. This is in preparation for retirement, in about another 2 years. We cannot find anyone on these forums who will admit to misusing credit cards. And yet - I think we can all agree that many Americans are misusing them. Just nobody on these forums!

I am not afraid to admit that at times, we did misuse them. Carried balances , the whole nine yards. Paid everything on time, great credit score, BUT we found that it was cramping our lifestyle. Too much money going to pay down debt for something that was probably already used and gone. But it is so easy, on the front end (buying) to pull out that plastic...

We agreed, no more. We also agreed that we cared NOTHING for "FICO scores" or credit reports. We are not applying for any credit - so why worry about having a high FICO score??? We figured that it was the merchants and big corporations behind these credit bureaus anyway - and we were right. Just another scheme to see how many gullible Americans can be lured into the credit/debt trap. They are making money off anybody who uses the plastic. They know very well that everybody runs into tough times sooner or later, and will use that card for something that will require carrying a balance! If it never happens, then the person has no pulse. It's just the way life works.

So...we decided that was going to be it. Gone, long gone, just about paid and wonder of wonders! We actually have extra CASH at the end of the month ! That gets socked into retirement savings. I just can't figure out, where are all the indebted Americans going bankrupt by the day? Perhaps they just don't post on these forums!

Great answer. I am 34 y/o although, I have NEVER owned a C.C. before, i did rack up students loans and as far as I am concerned, paying those loans off was enough to teach that I DID NOT NEED nor WANT C.C.'s.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:17 PM

39,035 posts, read 23,034,926 times
I have one credit card that I usually use for online purchases. Like most who have posted in this forum, I pay the bill in full once I receive it.

Over 10 years ago, I was about $25,000 in debt, when I was young and foolish. That was a very expensive lesson to me on how to put a lid on my carefree spending using my credit cards. I have been debt-free for over five years now, and it's the ONLY way to be for me!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:14 AM

947 posts, read 3,144,453 times
I charge and payoff every month. Been doing that for almost eight years.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,698,010 times
Have an AMEX we use for all household expenses that is paid off in full every month. It works out very well as we just have the bills autocharge to the card, and groceries and everything as well, and then pay it in full every month rather than paying each bill separately.

Also, we can run reports on their website showing where we spent our money. Showed that we needed to cut WAY back on eating out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance