Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 AM

8,268 posts, read 7,624,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
many checks beyond 6 months old are no longer valid.

Yes, that's called a "stale date" (I used to be a teller back in the 1970's and early 80's). But this is a new check issued to a person who died two years ago.

Anyway, so far so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 07:12 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,521,172 times
I cashed several checks made out to my deceased mother. I have a small estate affidavit and write affiant next to my signiture and photo-deposit it. Never had a problem. I don't think they check endorsements on photodeposits.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:58 AM

2,140 posts, read 367,494 times
Sounds like the check you have needs to be reissued by the entity that initiated the refund.

I would not guess or assume or let anyone convince you that it won’t be noticed, etc., fraud is serious. If the company isn’t helpful, you should seek legal advice (not online). I’d probably go to my personal bank (especially if they know me or can check that I’m a long term customer and ask them if they can recommend a professional consultation. Sadly, this could eat into the amount on the check, but committing fraud is way too expensive.

$400 is a lot to me, but I wouldn’t take any risk. I hope the solution is easy and quick for you! : )

Old 03-08-2020, 08:31 AM

15,185 posts, read 28,006,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
Sounds like the check you have needs to be reissued by the entity that initiated the refund.

I would not guess or assume or let anyone convince you that it won’t be noticed, etc., fraud is serious. If the company isn’t helpful, you should seek legal advice (not online). I’d probably go to my personal bank (especially if they know me or can check that I’m a long term customer and ask them if they can recommend a professional consultation. Sadly, this could eat into the amount on the check, but committing fraud is way too expensive.

$400 is a lot to me, but I wouldn’t take any risk. I hope the solution is easy and quick for you! : )
Since it was in 2018 it's likely taken care of

Old 03-08-2020, 12:12 PM

23,704 posts, read 19,526,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Since it was in 2018 it's likely taken care of
Can C-D get a "stale date" emoji stamp for resurrection posts on zombie threads?

Old 03-08-2020, 01:11 PM

21,098 posts, read 13,698,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I swear they don't look at endorsements unless someone claims the check was cashed fraudulently.

I filed an Amended tax return for 2016, the year DH died. It generated small refunds on both Fed and Local taxes. The refund checks were both written to "Athena53 and Mr. Athena53, Deceased". I have a warped sense of humor so I posted them on FaceBook after covering up all personal info such as address and SS Numbers.

I endorsed them with my signature only, deposited them to my account using mobile deposit, and they haven't arrested me yet.
This is the best advice. My brother cashed all the mineral rights checks that came for my mother, signing just his name into his account.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,521,172 times
What I did with my mom was I had a small estate affidavit and any checks I just signed my name with (Affiant) next to it and used Chase photodeposit. I didn't have any issues but I suspect noone really checks photodeposit checks. I believe you can only photodeposit checks less than $2k though which should be ok for you.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:55 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,206,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I would write on the back of the check deposit to and put in the account of the person who would inherit the money and then sign her name as it is on the check and then say by and your name and your title from the will, executor.

Do not know how legal this is but should solve the problem and the correct person will get the money.

I would deposit by mail.
In blue: I did that for a couple checks made out to my dad, post mortem. As above, I was Executor for the Estate of BB Sr., duly appointed by the State of Michigan (w/proof of course from probate).

Never had a lick of trouble. Wild guess, thinking of two examples, thousand dollars in refunds were issued to my deceased dad, one for refundable tickets and other for car insurance premiums pre-paid. End of story.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:02 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,857,572 times
I would call and tell them the story. Don’t sign anything and deposit, they will claw back. It’s not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance