Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 02:19 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,272,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I do not think WF has a good reputation in this area. We have spoken to their WM group a few years ago and although the individuals were very nice I did not see any past experience examples where they would have done any better then I had done.

I would not look to the banking system for this service.
WF got onto big trouble a few years ago for quietly signing clients up for credit cards or other WF services that they didn't need and hadn't requested. It reminds me of what the GE people used to call "Share of Wallet". In other words, once you had a customer for one thing you tried to cross-sell other products and services to get a bigger share of their wallet.

I'm just not too enamored of banks getting into the "wealth management" business. They can paste that name on the division but that doesn't mean they have good people who have your interests at heart and give good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 625,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You have that much in a single fund? See that just scares me. I guess I am still a noob.
Why would it scare you? The idea of going with a fund is to diversify the holdings versus going with single stocks?

Old 08-20-2019, 03:00 PM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You have that much in a single fund? See that just scares me. I guess I am still a noob.
It is an s&p 500 index fund .... i would have no reservation putting every penny in it .. but the reality is it is less than 10% of our portfolio

Old 08-20-2019, 09:20 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Why would it scare you? The idea of going with a fund is to diversify the holdings versus going with single stocks?
No...I would rather have more than one fund. (Which I do.)

Last edited by ChessieMom; 08-20-2019 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-24-2019, 01:29 AM

if it is a broad based fund like a total market fund or s&p 500 fund except for diversifying away from equities you need no other stock funds unless you are trying to beat the market

Old 08-24-2019, 04:35 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I agree with Low; most people, as in the majority of the population, don't really have much clue as to what an IRA is vs 401k vs 529 vs money market vs brokerage vs checking account.

It's quite scary the lack of financial knowledge that exists out there, and an advisor is worth their weight in gold for these people (the vast majority).

That being said the banks from what I've seen personally do not offer good products and as such people tend to mistrust them. This needs to change. Your bank and advisor should be like a trusted family member and right now most people just think banks are out to "get them".
I would be leery of anything that is related to wells fargo. I would agree that most people don't understand finance stuff and there is a definite place for financial advisors but I've always believed someone connected to a financial institution will push that companies products even if they may not be in my own best interest. If I didn't have as much financial knowledge as I do, it probably wouldn't matter.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:07 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,605,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I would be leery of anything that is related to wells fargo.
Wells Fargo Advisors their wealth management arm played no part in the bs fake account issues that plagued the bank

Quote:
I would agree that most people don't understand finance stuff and there is a definite place for financial advisors but I've always believed someone connected to a financial institution will push that companies products even if they may not be in my own best interest. If I didn't have as much financial knowledge as I do, it probably wouldn't matter.
Your belief is generally incorrect. Most wealth management firms have moved away from proprietary investment products.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:18 PM

894 posts, read 1,326,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
I think he is implying you have 250k that you’re able to have on chill in a s&p fund that you gave to a banker to baby sit. Lol. Majority of America don’t have 250k or even close to that. Including myself hahah

Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit2atl View Post
I think he is implying you have 250k that you’re able to have on chill in a s&p fund that you gave to a banker to baby sit. Lol. Majority of America don’t have 250k or even close to that. Including myself hahah
the majority of america will not be private clients either so that is why it is a select group .but the point is you dont give them 250k in cash .

same with fidelity , we are private access clients too and they have a minimum 4x that . but again , it is made up of all accounts you have including ira's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance