Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 08:32 AM

736 posts, read 456,377 times

Advertisements

Sadly, veterans, law enforcement and firefighters are the favorite covers used by scammers who are doing fake fundraising. I've asked police officers and veterans groups about these org's and they've told me that 90% of them are scams.
I only give to local org's that I am familiar with and whose work I can see in my community.

A good way to weed out scammers is to check org's out on Charity Navigator:

https://www.charitynavigator.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 08:39 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Whenever I used to get the cop/firefighter calls- they went away when we got rid of the landline- I'd ask them to send me something in the mail to review before I donated. Funny how I'd never really get anything in my mailbox from the charity in question.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:04 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I get at least 3 calls a week from some 'fundraiser' to support police or fire or some such thing. I ask doesn't the government pay for 'whatever they are fundraising' for. They either hang up or just say they are a paid fundraiser. Paid scammer, you mean? Why would police or firemen need fundraising?
I get them occasionally.

As soon as I hear "this is Sargent Miller , we are raising money for...[click] I hang up.

There IS. A Police Benevolent fund to aid Police family in times of need. I will donate to that, but they mail you a form, not call you. You can verify the address IS the station and call their LOCAL NUMBER (NOT 911) and verify.

There IS a Fireman's Auxiliary also.

But those both should be local and verifiable.

Also, many firestations have pancake breakfast or spaghetti dinner fundraisers. You can support by going to those.

OP, I'd say you could call and verify that the call is real, and ask to be removed from any list they have you on. IF the police say they do no such thing, then the next call you get, tell them you called the police station and it's a scan they are doing, and IF they call again, you'll report it to the police for harassment.
That should shut them up

Best to you ..

Old 10-02-2019, 12:16 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
I get at least 3 calls a week from some 'fundraiser' to support police or fire or some such thing. I ask doesn't the government pay for 'whatever they are fundraising' for. They either hang up or just say they are a paid fundraiser. Paid scammer, you mean? Why would police or firemen need fundraising?
The biggest surprise is that you actually ANSWER that crap.

Google -> Pixel Phones -> Pest or unknown to me number -> "Google Call Screen."

They usually don't have enough steam to make it through the auto-screener. If they do, I use the AI to ask for more information. Gets rid of all kinds of pests.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Still not enough, considering what they do.
are you aware that police steal more private property through civil asset forfeiture than all the burglaries combined? they are just a gang of criminals. you are suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

i am aware that there seems to be some grants that firefighters (and maybe others) get that require the local department to raise a certain % of the money to get the additional money. its absolutely ridiculous, if its a required expense then may as well pay out of taxes or dont get it at all. they turn firemen into beggars on the street.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:28 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Not something to brag about, you know. And the reason to donate is exactly what you cited. If you expect the needy to be helped 100% through taxes, you can't really control the poor performance, graft and inefficiency of government programs. If you choose where your money goes through private donations and you think the entity is spending too much on CEO salaries and is carelessly throwing money around to people who aren't really in need, you take your money elsewhere.
Maybe rather than watch money being wasted by government agencies it might be more worthwhile to spend the time and money trying to get the crooks out of government. Local governments tend to be close to 100% crooks. Anyone who deals with local government quickly learns what is happening. Somehow it still takes decades if ever for any of them to end up in jail.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
They actually do fundraising and it's perfectly legitimate.
If you don't want to give them money, just hang up.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:00 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree that there are legitimate organizations of this type but not every organization with "Police" or "Fire" in the name is legitimate and even those that are may be using professional fundraisers who keep a crazy percentage of the donations. Donating to someone who calls on the phone will also get you on more lists of- people who donate to organizations that call on the phone. They sell those lists. I get the occasional robo-call about my student loans (graduated in 1971 and never had any) but no charity solicitations.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Maybe rather than watch money being wasted by government agencies it might be more worthwhile to spend the time and money trying to get the crooks out of government. Local governments tend to be close to 100% crooks. Anyone who deals with local government quickly learns what is happening. Somehow it still takes decades if ever for any of them to end up in jail.
how would it be worthwhile to do something that is doomed to fail?

Old 10-05-2019, 05:57 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It may be legitimate, but I bet you would find they keep about 90% of the money they raise for themselves (the fundraising company). I always check out a charity on Charity Navigator website where they are ranked from 0 to 4 stars. I got a mail solicitation from a "Make a Wish" type charity. On investigating it had a ZERO rating on CN - that was a first for me. I think it was called Kids Wish Network.

Anyway, anyone who gives out their credit card or check details to someone over the phone, in a cold call, should probably have a guardian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance