Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 12:58 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times

Advertisements

I get at least 3 calls a week from some 'fundraiser' to support police or fire or some such thing. I ask doesn't the government pay for 'whatever they are fundraising' for. They either hang up or just say they are a paid fundraiser. Paid scammer, you mean? Why would police or firemen need fundraising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 01:48 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
There are some organizations affiliated with police and fire departments that are legitimate charities and support activities such as "Shop with a Cop" in which poor kids go Christmas shopping with members of the police force. Having said that, though, there are a ton of professional fund-raising organizations out there that promise to raise $X for the organization and they do, but they keep calling other donors and they get to keep the excess over $X.

I just don't donate to anyone who calls on the phone. Period. No time to determine how legitimate they are, what % they spend on expenses, etc.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:43 PM

54 posts, read 94,361 times
If you get one that actually doesn't mumble or fast-talk the name of their "charity" - and I forget exactly how I did it - you can search for the name and get the IRS registration form for the non-profit. I happened to be at my computer on one of these calls and was thinking fast enough to get the form while I had the guy giving me the pitch. The "charity" grossed something like $80K a year and paid the charity "president" around $70K, then took roughly $8K in office expenses, leaving $2000 and change for the actual "cause" they were supposed to represent.

The second I told him, "Oh, I have your Form [whatever] up on my screen here, and see tha...<click>." At least this one appeared to be a one-man show, the "president" being the guy on the phone.

These "benefiting law enforcement" (or whatever) are invariably scams where they buffalo you into thinking there's an implicit authority. Latest trick is to ask for somebody by name, "Oh, you have the wrong number," to which they reply "Maybe you can help me..." and then they start with the pitch. I hang up at that point.

OTOH, I no longer answer any number I don't recognize. If it's important and intended for you, they will leave a message.

Old 10-01-2019, 03:46 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
Paid scammer, you mean?
yes, some are.
Why would police or firemen need fundraising?
for certain charities which culminate later in the year.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:15 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Why give to any charity, of any kind, ever? Over the decades I have paid huge amounts in taxes which are supposed to provide help to those who need it. I cannot make up for the poor performance, graft and inefficiency of our government agencies.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:25 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Even if they are legit police or fire fighters, it is still a scam. Compared to other city/county departments, PD and Fire swim in cash. They are also excellent at lobbying politicians. Depending on where you live, it could have been a police or fire "association", which can be a bit similar to a union.

If someone from a city or county needs more money, its the guys on the side of the road or wading hip deep in human sewage. PD and Fire typically get more than their fair share of the funds.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:20 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Why give to any charity, of any kind, ever? Over the decades I have paid huge amounts in taxes which are supposed to provide help to those who need it. I cannot make up for the poor performance, graft and inefficiency of our government agencies.
Not something to brag about, you know. And the reason to donate is exactly what you cited. If you expect the needy to be helped 100% through taxes, you can't really control the poor performance, graft and inefficiency of government programs. If you choose where your money goes through private donations and you think the entity is spending too much on CEO salaries and is carelessly throwing money around to people who aren't really in need, you take your money elsewhere.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:44 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Not something to brag about, you know. And the reason to donate is exactly what you cited. If you expect the needy to be helped 100% through taxes, you can't really control the poor performance, graft and inefficiency of government programs. If you choose where your money goes through private donations and you think the entity is spending too much on CEO salaries and is carelessly throwing money around to people who aren't really in need, you take your money elsewhere.

Can't rep you again. You run into a few of these people who brag about this, not sure why.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:48 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Even if they are legit police or fire fighters, it is still a scam. Compared to other city/county departments, PD and Fire swim in cash. They are also excellent at lobbying politicians. Depending on where you live, it could have been a police or fire "association", which can be a bit similar to a union.

If someone from a city or county needs more money, its the guys on the side of the road or wading hip deep in human sewage. PD and Fire typically get more than their fair share of the funds.

Still not enough, considering what they do.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:55 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Still not enough, considering what they do.
In my county, police officers long since passed the six figure salary amount. Many are making over $150,000. On top of that the benefits are astounding with excellent retirement after 20 years of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance