Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 09:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

As an adult, whether you live with your parents or not, you should be paying housing and food costs.

Don't worry about dumb stereotypes if you are trying to pay off debt and enhance savings.

There are plenty of 20 and 30-something guys living in nasty places with roommates I wouldn't admire for "being independent."

But as an able-bodied adult with a job, you should not be mooching from anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 09:24 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As an adult, whether you live with your parents or not, you should be paying housing and food costs.

Don't worry about dumb stereotypes if you are trying to pay off debt and enhance savings.

There are plenty of 20 and 30-something guys living in nasty places with roommates I wouldn't admire for "being independent."

But as an able-bodied adult with a job, you should not be mooching from anyone.

There are reasons to live with parents but just to save money especially when working eh

I think you said it best about not mooching. No one likes a mooch.

But mooching is what I've seen over the years with numerous adult children because they lived with the parents so long it's second nature, they don't even think about or realize what they're doing over time. And when their parents passed on they got upset simply because they had to clear out a lifetime of their stuff let alone the parent's. They lost free convenient storage oh the humanity. But all this can lead to an adult not learning to move on or be on their own.

But mooching ....

Old 01-04-2020, 10:28 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
That's 100% personal preference, but I'd personally rather live on my own, even if I was just barely getting by. I moved out when I was 19 and have been on my own since, though, and never regretted it.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
That's 100% personal preference, but I'd personally rather live on my own, even if I was just barely getting by. I moved out when I was 19 and have been on my own since, though, and never regretted it.

You're decision made you independent which you seem to appreciate.

If one stays at home too long they will become dependent like a junky on crack with all the free stuff. Even if one reimburses their parents it's not in their name, they don't have jeopardize their credit or worry about paying on time. This is one reason why many adult kids seem to be maturing slower. That extra time at home allows for a bigger recreational life for which many can't live without after a certain point.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:22 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Nothing more attractive to a young lady than a 28 year old boy mooching off of his parents....

In Italian-American society this is an accepted practice. There's also nothing more attractive to a young lady than a man with $100,000 in the bank and an advanced degree. I found a way to rent from my father in a different building, so I knew the best of both worlds. My parents were loving generous people.

It's my extended family that are worthless. It's no wonder that no one associates with them.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:36 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Give your parents some money for rent and make your room into a independent granny-pad, private entrance if possible.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:42 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
I presume you lived with your parents while you went to school.

If so, it's time to march out on your own. You have the education, the job options and can make it by yourself. Your parents have launched you, now is your time.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Give your parents some money for rent and make your room into a independent granny-pad, private entrance if possible.

This because it sets clear boundaries for both parties. No co-mingling of personal possessions and papers. No one can accuse the other of losing it. I've seen adult children allowed to live in the parents home like they owned the place and were always accusing others of losing their stuff.

But in the end I think someone in their late 20s should have experienced being on the own, not just away at school but actually living and working on their own. The parent or child will not become codependent. I've seen half century old adults who kept flipping back and forth between part-time and full-time living at home and have the maturity of a college boy because the lack of direct responsibility allowed the spend a lot of money on partying, recreation etc. When the last parent passed they were like a two bit junky who had their crack ripped from their hand even though they were going to inherit some money.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:52 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyCar7 View Post
Deciding on what decision to make. Whether I want to save lots of money and live with my parents, but lose out on freedom and independence. Or choose to be on my own do my own thing however not save as much money. I was thinking living in a studio and just have freedom to do whatever I want. I am 28 year old single male to put it in perspective.
First of all, how are you so sure your parents are on board with you staying there? Are you assuming?

If you stay with your parents, you cannot expect to live there for nothing. You wouldn’t stay in our home for free, that’s for sure. So either way it’s going to cost you, or it should. Go with the option that lets you save the most money.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:34 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyCar7 View Post
Deciding on what decision to make. Whether I want to save lots of money and live with my parents, but lose out on freedom and independence. Or choose to be on my own do my own thing however not save as much money. I was thinking living in a studio and just have freedom to do whatever I want. I am 28 year old single male to put it in perspective.
You're 28 and you're going to be making around $75,000 per year? Time to move out, get a girlfriend and go on your own vacations. What are you going to do with any money you save living at home--go on a cruise with your parents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance