Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2020, 08:01 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,982,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well that wipes out your entire budget and isn’t really traveling, but if you two are really huge fans and can do it that’s sounds nice.
My yearly average spent on travel says YES I can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 08:11 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,285,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

I simply never understood people telling me I’m not “living” unless I do XYZ in regards to travel.
There's a lot about travel that "normal" people don't like- the TSA, unfamiliar foods, squatty-potties, weather extremes, jet lag, long lines, English not spoken... I'd never tell anyone they're not living if they didn't go to X. To me, the difficulties are generally worth it for the experience, but that's me.

I'm from a family of 5 kids. One brother has never been outside of N. America. Another has, but business only. The third has, mostly for business although he and DSIL are fond of Cabo San Lucas and she's accompanied him to business conferences in Vienna and Australia and they've tacked vacation onto those trips. My sister and BIL like Caribbean cruises and that's about it. They went to Ireland last year. They loved it but said they probably won't cross the Atlantic again. OTOH, every time I visit (they're several states away) they seem to have gotten a new car or truck to replace whatever they had before. Their choice.

And then there's me. I've lost count of the number of times I've crossed the Atlantic and so far I've visited 37 countries on this list (they define "country" rather loosely). My next trip will add 4 more.

https://travelerscenturyclub.org/cou...nd-territories

I'm the weird one.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
There's a lot about travel that "normal" people don't like- the TSA, unfamiliar foods, squatty-potties, weather extremes, jet lag, long lines, English not spoken... I'd never tell anyone they're not living if they didn't go to X. To me, the difficulties are generally worth it for the experience, but that's me.

I'm from a family of 5 kids. One brother has never been outside of N. America. Another has, but business only. The third has, mostly for business although he and DSIL are fond of Cabo San Lucas and she's accompanied him to business conferences in Vienna and Australia and they've tacked vacation onto those trips. My sister and BIL like Caribbean cruises and that's about it. They went to Ireland last year. They loved it but said they probably won't cross the Atlantic again. OTOH, every time I visit (they're several states away) they seem to have gotten a new car or truck to replace whatever they had before. Their choice.

And then there's me. I've lost count of the number of times I've crossed the Atlantic and so far I've visited 37 countries on this list (they define "country" rather loosely). My next trip will add 4 more.

https://travelerscenturyclub.org/cou...nd-territories

I'm the weird one.
I’m thinking about booking some $15,000 2-week international vacation (Costco travel maybe ) just so I can say...see I went. Who knows maybe I’ll love it enough to work?

I’m thankful to be in a position to try such an adventure at a young age.

God Bless America

Old 01-18-2020, 08:55 AM

7,298 posts, read 4,659,101 times
I have been to 18 countries . People on early retirement. Org do a ton of traveling. We don’t do a lot of traveling compared to them but much more compared to our friends. Our friends spend more on vehicles than us.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:03 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,609,206 times
Business travel - $100K
Personal/family travel - $15K

Old 01-18-2020, 10:16 AM

10,382 posts, read 8,039,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, it is understandable why most people would not enjoy spending months and months out of the year traveling to different places.
I think that even retirees who have plenty of time to travel often find that multiple shorter trips are easier logistically than a single super-long one. Arranging care of house and (maybe) pets, banking and bill paying, filing taxes, etc. - these all need to be done even when one is on the road. Multiple shorter trips are simply less hassle in that respect; you just take care of business during the intervals when you are home.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:45 AM

10,387 posts, read 8,627,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
My yearly average spent on travel says YES I can afford it.
And yet another Eddie response. I didn’t say you couldn’t afford it. As always you twist things around. Either that that you have serious comprehension issues. My guess is both are true for you.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
And yet another Eddie response. I didn’t say you couldn’t afford it. As always you twist things around. Either that that you have serious comprehension issues. My guess is both are true for you.
No need to be a negative Nellie.

That’s no way to treat my intellect that I’ve graciously chosen to bestow upon these forums.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:58 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,285,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think that even retirees who have plenty of time to travel often find that multiple shorter trips are easier logistically than a single super-long one. Arranging care of house and (maybe) pets, banking and bill paying, filing taxes, etc. - these all need to be done even when one is on the road. Multiple shorter trips are simply less hassle in that respect; you just take care of business during the intervals when you are home.
Actually, it's easier than it was years ago. I remember going off on a 3-week trip to London in 1983 and leaving my secretary with a pile of envelopes to mailed at specified dates- bills and a few birthday cards. I was living with my fiance but I was in charge of the bills because he was irresponsible. I asked only two things of him: deposit his paycheck so the mail deposit with the check from him to me that he'd signed (for his share of expenses) didn't bounce, and call the library and renew the tour book I had with me. Well, he deposited his paycheck.

I don't have pets, I have a smart sprinkler system that doesn't water if there's enough rainfall, and I can generally get Internet access often enough to keep up with the bills. Three weeks is about my limit, but I think that as you age it actually makes more sense to stay longer when you've taken the time and expense to get someplace.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Actually, it's easier than it was years ago. I remember going off on a 3-week trip to London in 1983 and leaving my secretary with a pile of envelopes to mailed at specified dates- bills and a few birthday cards. I was living with my fiance but I was in charge of the bills because he was irresponsible. I asked only two things of him: deposit his paycheck so the mail deposit with the check from him to me that he'd signed (for his share of expenses) didn't bounce, and call the library and renew the tour book I had with me. Well, he deposited his paycheck.

I don't have pets, I have a smart sprinkler system that doesn't water if there's enough rainfall, and I can generally get Internet access often enough to keep up with the bills. Three weeks is about my limit, but I think that as you age it actually makes more sense to stay longer when you've taken the time and expense to get someplace.
Yeah, being retired it would be easy for me to do 3 weeks, but I start getting home sick/bored after about 5 days. I’d be more comfy with doing a couple nice 4-5 day trips in place of one 2, 3, 4 weeker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance