Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 09:54 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,975,835 times

Advertisements

This will not be your typical "I don't tip" thread. I just saw an article that really pissed me off so I had to get this off my chest. The author is completely delusional regarding tipping to a point where it almost seems like a joke. I'm talking only about tips for grocery delivery only.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-much-t...ivery-22979729

If I went by this moron apparently at minimum, I should have tipped my delivery driver $80 (20%) for delivering $400 of groceries. Please note I'm literally talking about a situation where he picked up and dropped off the food. Please read below to see exactly how much work he had to do. I ordered through Walmart and this is what the process entailed for the driver:

-Getting to the walmart parking lot and letting walmart know he was there
-Then an associate came to his car with all the food already picked out and bagged. This is the key differentiator in my opinion between walmart delivery (using postmates) vs other apps like instacart. For instacart the delivery person also goes in the store and picks out every item themselves. That in my opinion would justify a 20%.
-Anyway it took the driver at most 3-5 minutes to have the groceries loaded (more on how I calculated this in a minute).
-Then he drove 2.75 miles to my house in off peak traffic (11am).
-My drop off process is the easiest anyone can have. I have the driver reverse into my driveway and park 3 feet from the garage door. Next I tell them to leave everything right there, right inside the garage door. Meaning, he ios picking up the groceries out of his trunk and putting them down on the fllor. Its a 5 feet walk. It took him 1 minute and 45 seconds to load everything. I offered to help but he politely declined because of Covid-19.

So from the moment he got to the walmart parking lot to when he left my house was at most a 25 minute period. The most effort he put in to make the delivery was just unloading the groceries and dropping them to the floor 5 feet from his car. According to the moronic article above the MINIMUM tip should be $80 in this scenario. How do these people reach this level of delusion where they think this is reality?

Please note my complaint is regarding the expectations from the article above. My delivery driver was super cool. In case you are wondering; I tipped him $15. I always tip 15% eating out for average service and higher for better service. So whats your take? Am I right or wrong in this case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 10:30 PM

37,164 posts, read 42,346,253 times
You have to be right because nobody is actually doing this. Reminder that people were forced to depend on delivery during COVID SIP and trying to say "if you can't afford it don't do it" is pretty disingenuous. Tipping based on total cost never made sense to me either. If my server brings me soup and a salad or a stead and a lobster, whether I get the house red or some $$ vintage doesn't make the job harder or easier in most cases either. The business is already getting more $$ if I order up, I should be supporting everyone just to get a meal.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:26 PM

3,364 posts, read 1,253,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You have to be right because nobody is actually doing this. Reminder that people were forced to depend on delivery during COVID SIP and trying to say "if you can't afford it don't do it" is pretty disingenuous. Tipping based on total cost never made sense to me either. If my server brings me soup and a salad or a stead and a lobster, whether I get the house red or some $$ vintage doesn't make the job harder or easier in most cases either. The business is already getting more $$ if I order up, I should be supporting everyone just to get a meal.
In most cases it's not disingenuous. For old people or preexisting conditions you could make the argument they had no choice. They should still be tipping extra since the delivery people are risking their health unless they really can't afford it. And if you weren't high risk it's completely disingenuous to say you needed delivery. People are risking their health to deliver food because someone not high risk doesn't want to. That absolutely deserves an extra tip.It's super grimy to expect someone to take the health risk for you, when you have a similar risk if you catch it and not compensate them for it.

For normal tipping I tend to tip really well percentage wise and then i'll tier off
i'm basically going to leave at least 5 dollars for good service
if i have a 5 dollar breakfast in a diner i'm tipping 5 dollars
good service on a 20 dollar meal still 5 dollars
after that point i'm leaving around 20 percent
so 10 bucks for 50 etc

with deliveries a minimum of 5 dollars for food

i sure as hell wouldn't be tipping 80 for 400 dollars worth of groceries in a parking lot that's insane

Old 06-25-2020, 07:13 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,038,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
This will not be your typical "I don't tip" thread.
Oooops

Old 06-25-2020, 08:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,847,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
hey should still be tipping extra since the delivery people are risking their health unless they really can't afford it.
i do not perceive it this way. its interesting how everyone working is a hero because they may get sick. we always had the risk of getting sick. now its a little more. my general attitude is that given the current situation, those who are able to maintain employment are fortunate to do so. we arent "risking our lives" we are just doing our jobs.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:45 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,708,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
In most cases it's not disingenuous. For old people or preexisting conditions you could make the argument they had no choice. They should still be tipping extra since the delivery people are risking their health unless they really can't afford it. And if you weren't high risk it's completely disingenuous to say you needed delivery. People are risking their health to deliver food because someone not high risk doesn't want to. That absolutely deserves an extra tip.It's super grimy to expect someone to take the health risk for you, when you have a similar risk if you catch it and not compensate them for it.

For normal tipping I tend to tip really well percentage wise and then i'll tier off
i'm basically going to leave at least 5 dollars for good service
if i have a 5 dollar breakfast in a diner i'm tipping 5 dollars
good service on a 20 dollar meal still 5 dollars
after that point i'm leaving around 20 percent
so 10 bucks for 50 etc

with deliveries a minimum of 5 dollars for food

i sure as hell wouldn't be tipping 80 for 400 dollars worth of groceries in a parking lot that's insane
If a restaurant offers delivery then they offer delivery. The buyer shouldn’t be forced OR guilted to pay 20% tips because they chose the service option they offered.

Considering the food service app takes 30% of the cost of the order the restaurant is working on a even smaller margin. If yi7 want to help local restaurants, order get in the car and get it yourself and leave THEM a big tip

I tip when I get good service. Walking food from your car to my front door stepping back 6 feet isn’t gonna get me to give 20% tip. I’ll give a couple of bucks because that all the service you provided is worth. I can easily order the food for pick up, get in my car and get it myself.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:10 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,473,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If a restaurant offers delivery then they offer delivery. The buyer shouldn’t be forced OR guilted to pay 20% tips because they chose the service option they offered.

Considering the food service app takes 30% of the cost of the order the restaurant is working on a even smaller margin. If yi7 want to help local restaurants, order get in the car and get it yourself and leave THEM a big tip

I tip when I get good service. Walking food from your car to my front door stepping back 6 feet isn’t gonna get me to give 20% tip. I’ll give a couple of bucks because that all the service you provided is worth. I can easily order the food for pick up, get in my car and get it myself.
30%? Really. So is the cost the same on the app as in the restaurant? Or do they mark up on the app to compensate themselves for the 30% they're giving up?

I'm one of those weird millenials that has never ordered a pizza in my life for delivery, never used any delivery app whatsoever, have used amazon less than 10 times in my life. So delivery isn't my thing as you can see.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,784,783 times
No one is forcing you to tip a certain amount. Due to Rona there are lots of inane articles out there and equally inane reactions to them.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:28 AM

26,205 posts, read 21,706,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i do not perceive it this way. its interesting how everyone working is a hero because they may get sick. we always had the risk of getting sick. now its a little more. my general attitude is that given the current situation, those who are able to maintain employment are fortunate to do so. we arent "risking our lives" we are just doing our jobs.
You don’t perceive it that way but a lot of people are ordering to groceries for home delivery to reduce their own health risk

Old 06-25-2020, 10:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,847,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You don’t perceive it that way but a lot of people are ordering to groceries for home delivery to reduce their own health risk
clearly there are a lot of different perceptions about the present situation. ive been going to work m-f like normal which i can see changes the perception from people who have been on total lockdown. even when working with others; we can take precautions that will vastly reduce our "risk" and even if we get sick very few of us would be sick enough to matter. a delivery person should be able to easily reduce the risk drastically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance