Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 06:39 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,522,499 times

Advertisements

My beef is with the way they've programmed credit card readers to ask "how much tip" (with options saying "nothing," 15%, 18%, and 20% - on self-serve purchases. For example, I went to Panera (this was pre-COVID) which required:

1) waiting on line with about 10 people ahead of me (this was lunchtime - crowded)
2) giving my order and getting a "buzzer"
3) going to the soda dispenser to fill my drink
4) getting napkins
5) hanging around with the dozen or so other people at the pick-up counter
6) carrying my tray to the table
..... eating
7) carrying my tray to the garbage bin, tossing my trash, and placing the tray on the pile

And for THAT they want a tip??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 08:42 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,443,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My beef is with the way they've programmed credit card readers to ask "how much tip" (with options saying "nothing," 15%, 18%, and 20% - on self-serve purchases. For example, I went to Panera (this was pre-COVID) which required:

1) waiting on line with about 10 people ahead of me (this was lunchtime - crowded)
2) giving my order and getting a "buzzer"
3) going to the soda dispenser to fill my drink
4) getting napkins
5) hanging around with the dozen or so other people at the pick-up counter
6) carrying my tray to the table
..... eating
7) carrying my tray to the garbage bin, tossing my trash, and placing the tray on the pile

And for THAT they want a tip??
I’m sure those are just standard templates. I don’t tip in those situations because the user basically does everything. It would be like tipping at a McDonald’s drive thru.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:37 PM

7,031 posts, read 2,733,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You have to be right because nobody is actually doing this. Reminder that people were forced to depend on delivery during COVID SIP and trying to say "if you can't afford it don't do it" is pretty disingenuous. Tipping based on total cost never made sense to me either. If my server brings me soup and a salad or a stead and a lobster, whether I get the house red or some $$ vintage doesn't make the job harder or easier in most cases either. The business is already getting more $$ if I order up, I should be supporting everyone just to get a meal.
I feel the same way about real estate commissions. It should be a negotiable fee and not a percentage of the price.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,405,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
This will not be your typical "I don't tip" thread. I just saw an article that really pissed me off so I had to get this off my chest. The author is completely delusional regarding tipping to a point where it almost seems like a joke. I'm talking only about tips for grocery delivery only.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-much-t...ivery-22979729

If I went by this moron apparently at minimum, I should have tipped my delivery driver $80 (20%) for delivering $400 of groceries. Please note I'm literally talking about a situation where he picked up and dropped off the food. Please read below to see exactly how much work he had to do. I ordered through Walmart and this is what the process entailed for the driver:
With all due respect to those who do these types of jobs, NO you shouldn't tip 80 dollars for a grocery delivery.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:50 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,674,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Tipping is not an issue where we live since we can't get any kind of food delivery. Pizza, food prepared or not is not available to us.
Same for us. Not even Amazon.

Appears we are avoiding a whole lotta stress and angst.

I hate to shop and DH likes it, so he goes and I don't. Win-win.

Back to tipping: the minimum wage for servers is STILL $2.13 in many red states.

But I know this is about delivery people. That's a tough one.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:25 AM

6,782 posts, read 5,503,824 times
People, people.

If you have used any service to "avoid yourself being exposed" to the covid-19 virus, TIP THE ONES who HELPED you!

Funny that you are using a delivery Service for YOU to avoid exposure, BUT you are asking THEM to risk exposure..no matter how much or little they do...and for this personal service of risking THEIR lives for you...You don't think you should tip????!!!

That's like going to a doctor, who has your life in hand, but him saying he only has a high school diploma!

And just WHAT are you going to do if ALL the delivery drivers, and Personal shoppers QUIT because they are only being paid minimum wage and YIU ALL refuse to TIP them fir them being in harm's way...just to serve you???

ESPECIALLY with covid-19, you should be tipping!!

These jobs are typically a minimum wage job, and you blatantly expect them to risk their lives on your behalf..fir a few measly dollars of pay... because YOU don't want to tip.

No thanks, I'll skip delivery for you!

And in fact, most grocery store employees, regardless of position or years there, are in fact "minimum wage workers", and "essential" to keep food going during something like a pandemic!

Just how long can you last on your food pantry IF we go to lockdown again AND grocery stores close too...to protect their workers??
Good luck in that case!

Again...IF someone is doing you a personal favor, TIP them! And be adequate for it!

Otherwise you can go and put your own damn self at risk.

It has NOTHING TO DO with "them being paid adequately" or not for doing these jobs. Because SINCE they only offer minimum wage for these jobs (federal rate is still only $7.25), just WHAT would you do if ALL the minimum wage employee s REFUSED to work for the subpar wages?? Then you'd HAVE to do your own damn shopping!!
AND costs would go up for you to buy the groceries too!!
Then you'd sqawk BECAUSE prices for food are so high, in order to pay them a REASONABLE wage!
You already squawk as the first indicated of higher cost of living..is IN your grocery bill!

grocery stores are minimum wage, the prices are already low...as they can be..yet many of you ALSO complain about rising grocery costs!
And FOOD is A NECESSITY for all of us. It should be the HIGHEST paying field BECAUSE it's a necessity!
FOOD is a NECESSITY, yet NONE of you want to pay anything for it..you all want to pay as little as possible. But if you, say did programming in your work life, which most of us may NEVER NEED OR USE, YOU want to be paid "Top Dollar" fir YOUR service!!

Get real, and THINK about your priorities for LIFE.

One more time: if a person goes out of their way EVEN IN THEIR JOB to perform a PERSONAL SERVICE for you, be it a: waitstaff, a hair cutter/dresser, or who knows..a mechanic who perform s $500 worth of work on your car but only charges you $200...TIP THEM!

ITS SIMPLE...WHY do you want to make it complicated?

YOU just count on someone being so desperate for a minimum wage job just to service so you can exploit them.

The day IS Coming...when NO ONE will work for the $7.25 minimum or whatever it may be in your state or city. Why? Because they can't pay their basic life bills on that pay!

There was an old work joke circulating in the 80s... THINK about this for a minute:
You pay the person who designs the car $25/hour to design it; you pay the person who builds it $20/hour; you pay the salesman$15/hour to sell the cars, BUT you expect the person who makes $8/hour to BUY it!
(THINK, people!)

Good luck to you then!

Better plant your own garden and learn how to home can!

Old 08-02-2020, 04:07 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,598,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
People, people.

If you have used any service to "avoid yourself being exposed" to the covid-19 virus, TIP THE ONES who HELPED you!

Funny that you are using a delivery Service for YOU to avoid exposure, BUT you are asking THEM to risk exposure..no matter how much or little they do...and for this personal service of risking THEIR lives for you...You don't think you should tip????!!!
Oh the drama. A doordasher drives to walmart. A walmart employee goes nowhere near him. Loads his trunk. He comes to my house, coming nowhere near me. Drops on my porch. Sends a text my groceries are here and goes on another contact free run. Where is this 'exposure'? How is he risking his life?

I don't feel I have to tip like in a restaurant. In a restaurant I pay for the food and then I tip for the service. With groceries I am expected to pay for the groceries, and pay for the delivery, AND tip. So it is NOT going to be 20%.

They are not paid less than minimum wage like restaurant workers either.

The grocery store employees are the ones at risk. Why aren't we tipping them? If it's based on risk, as you assert. They have to work with each other and the public. The delivery person is working by himself and coming into no contact with the public.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:43 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,970,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think the author of the article was referring to the norm, which is for one person to do all the shopping and standing in line and paying, then delivering.

Walmart is unique in that they use their own employees to do the shopping, and then contract with a company for delivery.

I am sure your $15 tip was appreciated.

I used instacart for Kroger before and the shopper will text with you back and forth. I needed dog food and COVID was making things scarce, so what I ordered was out of stock. I didn't have a list of replacements in mind. He texted back and forth to find one that was acceptable. THAT is worth a bigger tip.
I assumed the exact same thing when I started to read the article thinking you would have to be insane to suggest otherwise. However, I underestimated the depth of stupidity/common sense for humans. Here is the sentence from the article that made it very clear that the author meant for any service you MUST tip 20%:

Quote:
Gottsman says to follow the 20 or 5 Rule. “Tip your delivery driver 20 percent of the total bill or $5 — whichever is higher,” she says. And if there were special challenges — the weather is awful, they have to climb a zillion stairs — bump up the tip even more to recognize that. Note that this goes for ANY KIND of food delivery — meals from restaurants and groceries from a store.
So this insane individual is suggesting that you tip a MINIMUM of 20% to delivery drivers for restaurants. From that we can infer that she has the same opinion on tipping Walmart delivery people. This is because a restaurant delivery person exerts the same amount of effort as a Walmart delivery person. Yet, the author thinks that the delivery person needs a 20% tip for any order amount regardless of how easy/effortless the job was. So by her crazy logic if I order $150 worth of food from a medium priced restaurant for a group of 5 people; I should tip AT LEAST $30 to the delivery driver. This is regardless of the fact that it takes no more effort to deliver the $150 food as a $25 order. I can see the justification behind a minimum dollar amount to tip if the order amount is low. However, to try to force people to think its immoral to tip less then 20% for such an effortless job for high dollar orders where no extra effort is required is nothing short of insulting. Honestly, people like the author who lack basic common sense to this level should be banned from sharing their opinions over mass media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Oh the drama. A doordasher drives to walmart. A walmart employee goes nowhere near him. Loads his trunk. He comes to my house, coming nowhere near me. Drops on my porch. Sends a text my groceries are here and goes on another contact free run. Where is this 'exposure'? How is he risking his life?
I have mentioned this exact same thing several times in this thread. Although I respect everyones opinion on how much to tip; I have not seen anyone come up with an objective counter argument to what you wrote that justifies a 20%+ tip. On a humorous personal note, delivering to my garage is actually easier then delving to my porch (default option for Walmart deliverers). So in my case the driver actually did even less work then his typical delivery!!

Last edited by griffon652; 08-02-2020 at 05:52 AM..

Old 08-02-2020, 06:21 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,970,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
People, people.

If you have used any service to "avoid yourself being exposed" to the covid-19 virus, TIP THE ONES who HELPED you!!

And just WHAT are you going to do if ALL the delivery drivers, and Personal shoppers QUIT because they are only being paid minimum wage and YIU ALL refuse to TIP them fir them being in harm's way...just to serve you???

ESPECIALLY with covid-19, you should be tipping!!

These jobs are typically a minimum wage job, and you blatantly expect them to risk their lives on your behalf..fir a few measly dollars of pay... because YOU don't want to tip.

No thanks, I'll skip delivery for you!

And in fact, most grocery store employees, regardless of position or years there, are in fact "minimum wage workers", and "essential" to keep food going during something like a pandemic!

It has NOTHING TO DO with "them being paid adequately" or not for doing these jobs. Because SINCE they only offer minimum wage for these jobs (federal rate is still only $7.25), just WHAT would you do if ALL the minimum wage employee s REFUSED to work for the subpar wages?? Then you'd HAVE to do your own damn shopping!!
AND costs would go up for you to buy the groceries too!!
Then you'd sqawk BECAUSE prices for food are so high, in order to pay them a REASONABLE wage!
You already squawk as the first indicated of higher cost of living..is IN your grocery bill!

ITS SIMPLE...WHY do you want to make it complicated?

YOU just count on someone being so desperate for a minimum wage job just to service so you can exploit them.

The day IS Coming...when NO ONE will work for the $7.25 minimum or whatever it may be in your state or city. Why? Because they can't pay their basic life bills on that pay!
Hey galaxy I thought I made some very good counter points to your last post but I did not get a response. So let me specifically reply to this post and maybe you can tell me what I'm missing. First, its not simple as you stated. If I blindly tip 15-20% without putting some thought into it; I will end up tipping a ridiculous amount (see the calculations below). Please note for what I'm writing below I'm specifically referring to HOW I TIPPED. I do not care about how others tip and its irrelevant. Even if the 5 other people before me tipped $0, its not my responsibility to make up for it. That's just an indisputable fact. Its no different then saying that I should pick up every piece of litter on a sidewalk that I'm walking down even if I never litter. As long as I gave a good tip then I did my part. Anyway, your other posts said that my tip was not adequate. I'm a bit confused since up there you talk about the delivery person making the equivalent of of minimum wage. My tip gave amount equals to an "effective hourly rate" that's much higher minimum wage. So don't understand why you are so passionate about my tip being "low." I gave the details of the "effective hourly rate" in my second post but maybe you missed it. So I will do the math again:

Please keep in mind that the median INDIVIDUAL income in the USA is about $32,500

1. My tip after accounting for gas, wear/tear on vehicle and extra insurance cost equals to an effective hourly rate of $33/hour or $68,640/year. Meaning I paid my delivery driver at a rate that gives him a higher hourly wage then 80% of the US population.

2. I even gave an example where the person only got $7 tip for the delivery instead of my $15. That would lead to an effective hourly wage of $16.25/hour or $34,840/year. That would put the delivery person at exactly the 53 percentile as far as hourly wage. That is still a very healthy and respectable hourly wage.

3. According to your last post to me, I should have tipped a MINIMUM of 15% on my $400 order. That equals to an effective hourly wage of $123/hour or $255,840/year. That equals to someone earning a hourly wage that's higher then 98.97% of the US population.

To put that into better context, the most numerous type of doctors (family/internal medicine) only have a median wage of approximately $205,000/year. Are you seriously trying to say that delivery drivers deserve a tip that gives them an effectively hourly rate that's higher then the highest paid profession on the entire planet?? (Physician's in the US have the highest median wage when compared to every other job in every other country)

I have been nothing but cordial to you this entire thread. However, I have to say that after seeing these numbers (which are 100% accurate) if you still think that your tip suggestion is reasonable; it would make me highly likely not to trust anything else you post on CD.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:00 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,598,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Hey galaxy I thought I made some very good counter points to your last post but I did not get a response. So let me specifically reply to this post and maybe you can tell me what I'm missing. First, its not simple as you stated. If I blindly tip 15-20% without putting some thought into it; I will end up tipping a ridiculous amount (see the calculations below). Please note for what I'm writing below I'm specifically referring to HOW I TIPPED. I do not care about how others tip and its irrelevant. Even if the 5 other people before me tipped $0, its not my responsibility to make up for it. That's just an indisputable fact. Its no different then saying that I should pick up every piece of litter on a sidewalk that I'm walking down even if I never litter. As long as I gave a good tip then I did my part. Anyway, your other posts said that my tip was not adequate. I'm a bit confused since up there you talk about the delivery person making the equivalent of of minimum wage. My tip gave amount equals to an "effective hourly rate" that's much higher minimum wage. So don't understand why you are so passionate about my tip being "low." I gave the details of the "effective hourly rate" in my second post but maybe you missed it. So I will do the math again:

Please keep in mind that the median INDIVIDUAL income in the USA is about $32,500

1. My tip after accounting for gas, wear/tear on vehicle and extra insurance cost equals to an effective hourly rate of $33/hour or $68,640/year. Meaning I paid my delivery driver at a rate that gives him a higher hourly wage then 80% of the US population.

2. I even gave an example where the person only got $7 tip for the delivery instead of my $15. That would lead to an effective hourly wage of $16.25/hour or $34,840/year. That would put the delivery person at exactly the 53 percentile as far as hourly wage. That is still a very healthy and respectable hourly wage.

3. According to your last post to me, I should have tipped a MINIMUM of 15% on my $400 order. That equals to an effective hourly wage of $123/hour or $255,840/year. That equals to someone earning a hourly wage that's higher then 98.97% of the US population.

To put that into better context, the most numerous type of doctors (family/internal medicine) only have a median wage of approximately $205,000/year. Are you seriously trying to say that delivery drivers deserve a tip that gives them an effectively hourly rate that's higher then the highest paid profession on the entire planet?? (Physician's in the US have the highest median wage when compared to every other job in every other country)

I have been nothing but cordial to you this entire thread. However, I have to say that after seeing these numbers (which are 100% accurate) if you still think that your tip suggestion is reasonable; it would make me highly likely not to trust anything else you post on CD.
That poster is or was a gig worker. I have read on their threads on reddit, they have a very inflated idea about what they should earn.

The food delivery service I use doesn't even interview people. If you have no felonies, you are hired. And I am pretty sure that is easy to get around as well.

A 'Pamela' showed up one night and this was no Pamela. This was a guy. Not a trans Pamela, a guy, who was clearly stoned.

And it made me think of a guy on fb who was joking about needing a non felon friend to get him hooked up with a gig job in the other person's name. Maybe he wasn't joking! Easy enough to do. I could sign up but there is no oversight. Anyone could go that I gave the information and the credit card to.

Amongst themselves they talk about sitting at home waiting on a 'good' order. They expect to just take the good ones and earn enough to mainly do nothing.

The earners hustle. They sit in hot spots, they take all orders, because volume = bonuses, tips or no tips. It's up to them what they earn.

The non earners have more time to gripe on reddit. The earners pop in every now and then to share methods of success.

In that business there is no way around a bunch of crappy orders. Fast food for one or two people equals a small tip most of the time.

Small grocery orders probably tip low too. heck, even large ones. On Uber threads, they hate grocery store pick ups. Poor people w/o cars who get a month's worth of groceries and take a long time to load and unload.

So from that I am sure there are people who can't afford to spend for delivery often, and get large orders, up flights of stairs, for little or no tip.

You accept these terms or you don't. If they want more money they will get a real job that expects them to show up at certain times, the thing most of them do not want to do, so there is a downside for that luxury. /shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance