Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 12:29 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,970,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Thanks for extorting me for the state, here is a nice tip!

People shouldn't put firemen and police in the same sentence. Same goes for other first responders like EMTs who actually help people.
Not trying to turn this into a political debate but this needed to be addressed. There is only one scenario where what you said would not be considered irrational, illogical or immoral. Here is that scenario:

If you personally will NEVER seek the help of the police for ANY crime committed against you (including rape, kidnapping of your child, family member murdered etc.) for the rest of your life; then you are 100% justified in making your statement. Somehow I have a feeling that's not the case so just stop with the nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 06:32 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Some who tip big are not just generous they expect something in return including extra or free food and drink. I know some who boast they tip big and many a night they never had to pay for a drink. That's a waiter or bartender stealing from the business in many eyes because the business isn't making money.
That’s not true at all. We always tip well. We used to go to a pizza place, we went every week, we tipped very well. We started bringing friends. Our friends brought other friends. There were times we’d walk in and 5 tables were people we knew. We were like a multilevel marketing team for this business. Guess what? Business started comping our beers. They make so much money on alcohol, that two beers is not going to kill them out. Especially when we’re buying salads and garlic cheese bread and pizza for 50 bucks and they’re throwing in 7.00 bucks of beer.

The waitress didn’t “steal” the beers. She spoke to the owner and the owner agreed and when we tipped her, we tipped her as if we bought the beer. It helped a lot that the place was really really good food, and very welcoming and a warm place to go. We were gutted when he sold it.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,599,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That’s not true at all. We always tip well. We used to go to a pizza place, we went every week, we tipped very well. We started bringing friends. Our friends brought other friends. There were times we’d walk in and 5 tables were people we knew. We were like a multilevel marketing team for this business. Guess what? Business started comping our beers. They make so much money on alcohol, that two beers is not going to kill them out. Especially when we’re buying salads and garlic cheese bread and pizza for 50 bucks and they’re throwing in 7.00 bucks of beer.

The waitress didn’t “steal” the beers. She spoke to the owner and the owner agreed and when we tipped her, we tipped her as if we bought the beer. It helped a lot that the place was really really good food, and very welcoming and a warm place to go. We were gutted when he sold it.
It’s $7 in beer at retail. Not their cost. In their cost is about $1.50. This is nothing more than them being appreciative because you do tip well. You probably get good service also. Guess what....when we go out we tip well at the restaurants we go to because we like the people the food and the service. If I didn’t like the food people and service I wouldnt tip well and most likely wouldn’t go back.

But we are not talking about sit down restaurant tipping. We’re talking about a delivery guy who you have very minimal contact. He’s not serving you in the true sense as a sit down meal atmosphere. It’s literally grab a bag of food get in a car drive a few minutes and drop it off pick up money and leave.

Ok say you order a real meal not some bs $10 worth of crap food. But a real meal for a family at a restaurant even pick up is gonna run you $80. That’s $20 a person. So on that thought you would be tipping the guy delivering a minimum of.....$12. Im sorry but tipping crazy money for delivery is ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:02 PM

22,365 posts, read 29,497,078 times
Quote:

People shouldn't put firemen and police in the same sentence. Same goes for other first responders like EMTs who actually help people.
What exactly are you trying to say here?

Old 07-23-2020, 02:29 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,392,137 times
Quote:

Those that put their lives on the line to assist you and your community ALL need to be supported - maybe not with a tip but with support. That is Police AND Firefighters - you are being very disingenuous if you think the majority of the Police are not making your neighborhood safer. You are lumping the 0.01% in with the 99.99% - that is political view that has NO basis in reality.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:44 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s $7 in beer at retail. Not their cost. In their cost is about $1.50. This is nothing more than them being appreciative because you do tip well. You probably get good service also. Guess what....when we go out we tip well at the restaurants we go to because we like the people the food and the service. If I didn’t like the food people and service I wouldnt tip well and most likely wouldn’t go back.

But we are not talking about sit down restaurant tipping. We’re talking about a delivery guy who you have very minimal contact. He’s not serving you in the true sense as a sit down meal atmosphere. It’s literally grab a bag of food get in a car drive a few minutes and drop it off pick up money and leave.

Ok say you order a real meal not some bs $10 worth of crap food. But a real meal for a family at a restaurant even pick up is gonna run you $80. That’s $20 a person. So on that thought you would be tipping the guy delivering a minimum of.....$12. Im sorry but tipping crazy money for delivery is ridiculous.
But I was responding to the poster who said the server was stealing the alcohol.

I do agree about tipping a driver a percentage. That’s crazy.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:53 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,598,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
If people are saying they HAVE to have delivery because of the virus then it's not fair to say these delivery people don't deserve extra.
I mean we all know our habits.
If someone who normally goes to the supermarket for themselves all of the sudden starts getting all of their groceries delivered because of covid they're doing it because they're afraid to get sick and it's super grimy to just give a regular tip.It's completely disingenuous for them to say it's a health risk for them but the worker is just doing their regular job so they deserve a regular tip.
You can't have it both ways. They know the worker isn't just doing their regular job, they just want to justify being cheap.

FWIW I'll also tip extra under other conditions, like in a blizzard for example.
walmart grocery, as laid out in the OP, does the shopping. The delivery person just picks them up and then drops them off.

Someone loads into their trunk, and then they drop it off no contact with the customer.

I am conflicted because in my area walmart uses door dash, which pays as low as $2.50. I am in walking distance from the store and order the minimum $35 at a time, so they probably get close to that $2.50.

Mainly I am mad that they don't pay well, putting me on the spot. Amazon Prime Now pays well. Tips are truly extra, as opposed to doordashers who depend on them.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Tip what you want or not at all, there are no "Tip Police" that are going to hassle you. Percentage is only one way to determine tip, and works well for restaurants. Food delivery and some other services are another matter.

Why should you tip the pizza guy 20% ($4)for one $20 pizza, but $16 for 4 pizzas? The amount of work for him is exactly the same, and they are not that much heavier.

When delivering groceries, if the bags include steaks, caviar pure vanilla and a bottle of good bourbon, why should you pay more tip than the same bag, which might be heavier but only contains inexpensive products like dry beans and pasta? We don't use delivery at all, but if I did it would not be based on percentage.

I have no problem with tipping more during the pandemic when the person is at risk, however, and I do.
I have stairs and I tip more for heavy things/multiple trips.

For food I meet them outside, they don't have to get out of their car. I am intentionally using the back and knees of another person for heavy grocery items, COVID or no COVID, and the tip reflects that.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
This will not be your typical "I don't tip" thread. I just saw an article that really pissed me off so I had to get this off my chest. The author is completely delusional regarding tipping to a point where it almost seems like a joke. I'm talking only about tips for grocery delivery only.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-much-t...ivery-22979729

If I went by this moron apparently at minimum, I should have tipped my delivery driver $80 (20%) for delivering $400 of groceries. Please note I'm literally talking about a situation where he picked up and dropped off the food. Please read below to see exactly how much work he had to do. I ordered through Walmart and this is what the process entailed for the driver:

-Getting to the walmart parking lot and letting walmart know he was there
-Then an associate came to his car with all the food already picked out and bagged. This is the key differentiator in my opinion between walmart delivery (using postmates) vs other apps like instacart. For instacart the delivery person also goes in the store and picks out every item themselves. That in my opinion would justify a 20%.
-Anyway it took the driver at most 3-5 minutes to have the groceries loaded (more on how I calculated this in a minute).
-Then he drove 2.75 miles to my house in off peak traffic (11am).
-My drop off process is the easiest anyone can have. I have the driver reverse into my driveway and park 3 feet from the garage door. Next I tell them to leave everything right there, right inside the garage door. Meaning, he ios picking up the groceries out of his trunk and putting them down on the fllor. Its a 5 feet walk. It took him 1 minute and 45 seconds to load everything. I offered to help but he politely declined because of Covid-19.

So from the moment he got to the walmart parking lot to when he left my house was at most a 25 minute period. The most effort he put in to make the delivery was just unloading the groceries and dropping them to the floor 5 feet from his car. According to the moronic article above the MINIMUM tip should be $80 in this scenario. How do these people reach this level of delusion where they think this is reality?

Please note my complaint is regarding the expectations from the article above. My delivery driver was super cool. In case you are wondering; I tipped him $15. I always tip 15% eating out for average service and higher for better service. So whats your take? Am I right or wrong in this case?
I think the author of the article was referring to the norm, which is for one person to do all the shopping and standing in line and paying, then delivering.

Walmart is unique in that they use their own employees to do the shopping, and then contract with a company for delivery.

I am sure your $15 tip was appreciated.

I used instacart for Kroger before and the shopper will text with you back and forth. I needed dog food and COVID was making things scarce, so what I ordered was out of stock. I didn't have a list of replacements in mind. He texted back and forth to find one that was acceptable. THAT is worth a bigger tip.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:52 AM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Quote:

May The Force be with you when you need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance