Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 04:05 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,521,516 times

Advertisements

There is a woman who found over 1 million dollars worth of gold coins,gold bars in her uncle's garage,she is the only beneficiary.
Now,it is not in the will,the will said she gets the house,no mention of all that gold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 04:14 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,507,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Yes I know about the 5 year rule

So legally I can give my son 15,000 per year now and he could legally buy a house that we would live in when he’s 18 so it would be in his name
You'd need an elder law attorney for this, but:

If you want to house together, you can make your present house a "life estate" that would technically be his under at least two criteria:

In a life estate, you own/live in/maintain your house.
Should you become unable to live it (I ee. Go into a nursing home permanently, the house would be HIS and no longer your asset;

Or
2) you die.

Either case it becomes his automatically.

Again, check with an elder law attorney. It might be best to pay one their fee to answer all your questions.

To answer the question:
Yes, you can give him $15k/year and if he saves it, he can buy a house.

I was assuming you were talking about an ADULT son, rules for gifts to minors are different.

Best advice here is: consult an elder attorney who can tell you all the INS and outs

Life insurance with him as beneficiary can go directly to him.

You can set up TOD/POD (Transfer On Death/Payable On Death) for all your bank accounts.

Any investments accounts can name him as beneficiary

There's ways around things, and there's "gotchas" on a lot of things.

Under the gift laws, you can GIFT ANYONE $15k without paying taxes this year.

I'd be very greatful if you gifted ME $15k this year, and I can assure you I'll be a GOOD STEWART Of the funds....PM fir my address...

Best

Old 10-01-2021, 12:28 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
You'd need an elder law attorney for this, but:

If you want to house together, you can make your present house a "life estate" that would technically be his under at least two criteria:

In a life estate, you own/live in/maintain your house.
Should you become unable to live it (I ee. Go into a nursing home permanently, the house would be HIS and no longer your asset;

Or
2) you die.

Either case it becomes his automatically.
Some states value the life estate as an asset and value it accordingly. The life estate must be sold and the funds used for care. You would be surprised at the high valuation of some life estates.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:04 PM

40,967 posts, read 49,283,992 times
Make sure your beneficiaries on any investment accounts are in your son's name. Then all he has to do is file the paperwork to get them transferred.

Much easier than not listing and having to go through probate.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:10 PM

6,634 posts, read 7,367,380 times
Quote:
Something to think about is a nursing home would find my assets and suck up thousands per month wouldn’t they? In the event I needed to be placed into a nursing home at some point?
You pay for nursing home services just like any other service you buy.
Can someone sell their home to their kid for a dollar?
Yes but this is probably the worst idea.
Son could sell the home any time.
Creditors of son could take the home.
Son could die
Son could get married
Son could get divorced
Son would not get a step up in value at your death.

I would put this down as one of the questions to ask your attorney so you can learn about the problems and why you do not want this option.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:43 AM

3,523 posts, read 2,680,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
You can also gift him $15k this year without gift taxes to be paid.

If he's good with money, or willing to learn with you, and you're sure you're not going to need that $15k, you can slowly distribute funds to him.

The "free gift" exclusion may or may not increase each year so check each year on the IRS website.

Best as you plan
Exactly, this is what we have been doing for the last 20 years. It started with $10K and is now $15K.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:33 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,129,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Exactly, this is what we have been doing for the last 20 years. It started with $10K and is now $15K.
Actually, you can gift up to $11.7 million tax-free over your lifetime. If you gift a recipient more than $15,000 annually you must report it on your tax return. The overage amount is then deducted from your lifetime limit. Neither you nor your recipient is taxed on the gift as long as your total lifetime gift amount remains under the $11.7 million threshold.

The $15,000 annual gift (per recipient) is NOT deducted from the allowable total lifetime gift exclusion, only the amount gifted about the annual limit is deducted.

The vast majority of people can gift as much as they want without paying taxes as they will not meet the lifetime exemption amount.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:01 AM

3,523 posts, read 2,680,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Actually, you can gift up to $11.7 million tax-free over your lifetime. If you gift a recipient more than $15,000 annually you must report it on your tax return. The overage amount is then deducted from your lifetime limit. Neither you nor your recipient is taxed on the gift as long as your total lifetime gift amount remains under the $11.7 million threshold.

The $15,000 annual gift (per recipient) is NOT deducted from the allowable total lifetime gift exclusion, only the amount gifted about the annual limit is deducted.

The vast majority of people can gift as much as they want without paying taxes as they will not meet the lifetime exemption amount.
Thank you this is good info. Not that anyone will receive $11.7 million from me.

Old 10-08-2021, 07:04 PM

894 posts, read 1,327,357 times
Quote:
What does it even matter at this point. 30 trillion in debt. 30 million illegal aliens with wide open borders
Exactly!!

Old 10-08-2021, 08:13 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Yes but this is probably the worst idea.
Son could sell the home any time.
Creditors of son could take the home.
Son could die
Son could get married
Son could get divorced
Son would not get a step up in value at your death.

I would put this down as one of the questions to ask your attorney so you can learn about the problems and why you do not want this option.
Ok thank you. Makes sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance