Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

family of 5 seeking financial advice, full time college students, repossessed cars, living with parents, cannot find jobs, currently in RN program and do not want to drop out

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM

439 posts, read 1,234,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Active duty restrictions are for 3 dependents. Spouse would be one, the children an additional 3. Due to the large amount of debt she has stated they have, the repos, the running out on the landlord, etc. they would be unlikely to get a waiver.

The Reserves may be another way though... their requirements are different.

I did not know that. I dont think the debt would be a problem so long as they werent going for any kind of security clearence. I remember when I had mine man i was filling out all sorts of paper work.

I do agree that if you join the military it has to be for the right reasons and it is a WHOLE diffirent lifestyle. I think though that it would help alot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 04:49 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,164,485 times
Quote:
Also you can forget trying to do burger king. they are going to see your education and say "as soon as things get better your leaving"
So you don't put your education on the job application, who is going to know?

Its just not believable that someone couldn't find even a min wage job after a few months. Now if you are counting on getting a job with your previous wage, that could take while. But that is the point of unemployment after all. In your case you just happened to get laid off when your industry was in the crapper, I'm sure if you wanted to you could've found a job at McDonalds.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:04 PM

534 posts, read 1,596,684 times
I will never understand people that don't have money to begin with, spit out kids! I have no pity and I don't care how bad that sounds. My husband and I make it on what we make, but there would be no way we would make it with kids, so we made the decision to not have any.

It's one thing to have things going for you and you have kids and a few years down the line something like this happens. It's different in Jen's case. They didn't have much to begin with so by all means have a kid and then 2 more, in your 20's no less. What is the rush to have kids anyway? Ack..drives me crazy.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM

439 posts, read 1,234,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
I will never understand people that don't have money to begin with, spit out kids! I have no pity and I don't care how bad that sounds. My husband and I make it on what we make, but there would be no way we would make it with kids, so we made the decision to not have any.

It's one thing to have things going for you and you have kids and a few years down the line something like this happens. It's different in Jen's case. They didn't have much to begin with so by all means have a kid and then 2 more, in your 20's no less. What is the rush to have kids anyway? Ack..drives me crazy.

I have a child and im 23, guess what she wears Gymboree and all the xpensive stuff my wife gets, she has a top of the line stroller and eats well. So it is possible for people in the 20's and early 20's in my case to provide for their kids.

If she was going to school, and they were doing fine making what he made I dont see a problem. The problem came when he lost his job and they had nothing to fall back on. It wasnt like they werent trying she was in school to get a pretty damn good job.

“Judge not, lest ye be judged!”

Old 05-29-2008, 05:29 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,390,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
So you don't put your education on the job application, who is going to know?

Its just not believable that someone couldn't find even a min wage job after a few months. Now if you are counting on getting a job with your previous wage, that could take while. But that is the point of unemployment after all. In your case you just happened to get laid off when your industry was in the crapper, I'm sure if you wanted to you could've found a job at McDonalds.
Well you weren't there so what you are "sure of" means absolutly nothing. Also Mr. "I have all the answers", when you have been in school for the last four years of your life and working, what are you going to say? "I have been living under a bridge that entire time". You have to give a history of what it is you were doing, or haven't you filled out a application before? When you have tons of education (three degrees) and job experience as I do and find yourself without a job and no means to find a job in your field, then come back and talk to me about what is or isn't.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,569,736 times
Husband join the military - even if just Reserves or Guard... Small guaranteed stipend which will help supplement the income, education benefits so you get off that bad bad cycle of living off student loans, and learn great skills which should help increase future income potential.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,636,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
I have a child and im 23, guess what she wears Gymboree and all the xpensive stuff my wife gets, she has a top of the line stroller and eats well. So it is possible for people in the 20's and early 20's in my case to provide for their kids.

If she was going to school, and they were doing fine making what he made I dont see a problem. The problem came when he lost his job and they had nothing to fall back on. It wasnt like they werent trying she was in school to get a pretty damn good job.

Go back and re-read the OP. They were both in school full time with student loans and living off the student loans in addition to the husband's job. So the student loans were NOT just used for schooling.

I read that as "over their heads" and living dangerously on the edge.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM

947 posts, read 3,143,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go back and re-read the OP. They were both in school full time with student loans and living off the student loans in addition to the husband's job. So the student loans were NOT just used for schooling.

I read that as "over their heads" and living dangerously on the edge.
I agree with you and I know my post won't help the situation.

I'm all for people getting an education but it's a fact of life that some people just can't afford to go to college. The priority here was a little misplaced. The priority is keeping a roof over there heads and paying for there kids needs. I feel that College is a luxury these days and not everyone can have that luxury.

$90,000 is a lot to payoff and then you couple that with additional student loans that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

Do you know people in any other states that have a better economy where your husband can go crash on a friend or family members couch and find work, then an apartment and send for you and the kids once settled? Look for sales or admin positions. If you aren't making it in Michigan I just don't see the sense in staying there to live off another student loan.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,546,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post

Wearing Gymboree or other high profile brands (not sure if Gymboree fits in this category) is NOT providing for your kids. Buying clothes that cost as much as adult clothes for someone who will be out of them in 1 year, in my opinion, is ludicrous. I have 2 kids and I "provide" for them, without ever having stepped inside a kids clothing store.

Edit: (By the way, check out Target. Im 28 and the difference between the clothes at Target and Walmart now and when I was younger is amazing. They won't even get made fun of!!! If im wrong about Gymboree being more expensive please correct me!)

Since when did trying count for anything? These are 3 lives we are talking about. When things get hard, Im pretty sure they won't give much about "trying". Plan for the worst, hope for the best. That CLEARLY was not going on in this case.

There should NEVER be a situation when you have 3 kids of losing a job and not having anything to fall back on. That isn't fair to the 3 people you are supposed to be guiding into a good life of their own.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,526,993 times
Default The Institution gets the Student Loan money, not the Student

I don't get it...

With a guaranteed FAFSA student loan through the government, you have to apply each year for the money.
I don't see how the money could be used for something else.
I had a student loan, and the money went to the INSTITUTION, it was NOT mailed in a check or anything else to ME.
So how is the OP spending that money on living expenses?
Something isn't quite right here.
There are so many things in place now with student loans to keep people from misusing them. You have to sign a Promissory note each and every time you reapply each year for the money. You have to apply for the money with the Federal Student Loan people FAFSA, and you have to apply for financial aid with your university or college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance