Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

family of 5 seeking financial advice, full time college students, repossessed cars, living with parents, cannot find jobs, currently in RN program and do not want to drop out

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:24 AM

51 posts, read 83,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
maybe I am too late to post this but

I know working with single moms in the RN and LPN program in my area if YOU WORK you can get booted out of the program .. you are in class or in clinicals 100% of the time.

Some options are to talk to financial aide - college work study I believe you can get 20 hours each this way. IF you can not work during the program you are in consider night care for children. How many nurses need night care for the child .. Most ppl get $25-$30 dollars per night I am guessing in your neck of the woods $20-25 per night for a child to sleep over and play with your children

Public housing - yes its a dirty word but its a home as well - check into this often they offer a program that if your in school you pay 0 and they help with your utilities!

Public Aide / Human Resources - yes aide sometimes we have to suck up the pride and do what is best hey after all you will be paying into this system one day ..and thats what its there for!

Daycare - there is in the phone book in your area look under childcare there will be a place called Childcare Resource and Referal if not call public aide office. They can help u pay for daycare while you are at school.

Financial aide - see if you can consolidate your loans into one ..

Do not drop out this will only make matters worse! Hand in there there is a way out there is a silver lining.

As for those who chose to reply negatively - imagine yourself in this boat anyone one can be in it at any time .. we all make choices rather good or bad its how we choose to turn them around and she was on here posting to have help turning it around ...

I was 21 in college with 2 kidos ... it was rough.. I paid my student loans off each year with whatever income tax return I had .. I got stuff from yard sales and 2nd hand shops .. it was hard times! But we made it!
Way to go ToBeaM!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 AM

156 posts, read 558,978 times
Honestly, this post is kind of funny.

You guys set yourself up for failure, classic case of trying to live above your means, only in your case it actually backfired.

Why 3 Kids if the both of you weren't even established yet?

Instead of having a car note, why didn't you find something you could of bought out right?

Priorities...

Old 08-27-2009, 09:02 AM

151 posts, read 270,701 times

Old 08-27-2009, 06:22 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,431,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenM View Post
I am extremely scared; for the first time in my life, I'm afraid for my family. I just don't know what to do at this point financially. Here's my story.

My husband and I are in are late 20's. We have 3 children. We were always just able to scrape by with a $1,500/ month income. We both go to school full time. We take out student loans to help cover the cost of tuition and rent and such. In April of 2007, he lost his job; in August of 2008, I lost my job. We were living off of student loans, until they ran out. All of this time, we've been job hunting and borrowing money from friends and relatives just to put food on the table. In April of this year, they repoed one of our cars for non-payment, Then our electric, gas, phone, and water were turned off. We took only the clothes on our back,(cause we didn't have money for a moving van) a few of the kids toys and moved into my mom's 1,100 sq. ft home, where we sleep in the living room on air mattresses. I am behind on ALL of our bills, our other car is about to get repoed. I have zip, zero, zilch for income (unless, God-willing, we find jobs)until September, when I get another installment from student loans.

I have considered dropping out of school, however, because it is an RN program, I'd have to wait a year and a half to restart or enter a different college and start from scratch(RN credits are not transferrable). My husband is willing to drop out of school and find work in another state, while I finish my degree, but what about my kids? I can't afford daycare!

I just don't know where to go from here and I am hoping that you financial guru's will have some advice for me. I have about $90,000 in student loans to repay, so if I drop I have to start repaying immediately (per my contract). I feel as though I am thoroughly screwed.

How do I continue on? I greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thank you in advance!
Wait a minute...It costs $90,000 to become an RN? I'm really shocked.

Edit: Bichigo, if only you could have figured out a way to make that the first post in this thread. Ah well, it was a good read anyway. I hope everything worked out for this family.

Last edited by trishguard; 08-27-2009 at 06:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance