Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 09:12 AM

17,436 posts, read 22,194,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Many of the richest people do not have college degrees - like Gates, Zuckerberg, Jobs, Dell, Branson and others. A college degree doesn't have to be expensive either and can be done while working. Many if not most trades do not require degrees and they pay very well. Nobody is keeping someone at min wage if they do not have a degree, work hard and can get paid well - especially if you own the business.

Few would be hired if required perfect score and age discrimination is illegal. If you are very good and have an extensive work history, other employers will seek you out.

Three times is pretty common - maybe look for cheaper place if that is an issue.

Yea, really not true - I cared more about who they are and what they bring than their name.

This list seems more about your views than reality.
Lets stop with the no degree makes you the richest in the world fantasy.......

Gates and Zuckerberg both dropped out of Harvard. They were smart enough to get into Harvard and had amazing ideas that they wanted to pursue hence the drop out part.

Don't pitch like these were guys sitting on their mom's couch saying: We don't need college!

Even Jobs said if he didn't go to a college calligraphy class he wouldn't have never had so many fonts in his Mac!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am an attorney. People are almost always in loss-avoidance mode, and don't really expect to gain. For attorneys, they cry poverty. And yet they always have money for vacations.

Galling.
Too many attorneys are trying to live the lifestyle they think they are entitled to (Dr's are famous for this too!). I had a buddy buried in a 1.8mm house, he literally would settle a case/catch up on past due bills. Literally living paycheck to paycheck! Then he would get some breathing room and go buy a Tesla!

I think they get hung up on the big number and don't add up the "costs" of things. I just made $150,000 so maybe they extrapolate that into monthly income, at that rate I'll make 1.8mm this year............sure if you settle 12 cases that size.

Old 10-01-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
a cup of Starbucks in their hands...... :-)
AKA "Six Bucks"

Old 10-01-2023, 09:31 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,253,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Big screen TV's and eating out would be my picks. You can see some really poor looking homes, but there's one thing in common. They ALL have a big screen TV in the living room, and perhaps in other rooms we can't see from the windows.
I paid $300 for my flat screen 11 years ago. Pennies over the long-term.

At least for me, I am less likely to go out and spend money because of the entertainment options at home. Less gas/wear and tear on vehicle, money spent at restaurants, etc.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:17 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,174,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Too many attorneys are trying to live the lifestyle they think they are entitled to (Dr's are famous for this too!). I had a buddy buried in a 1.8mm house, he literally would settle a case/catch up on past due bills. Literally living paycheck to paycheck! Then he would get some breathing room and go buy a Tesla!

I think they get hung up on the big number and don't add up the "costs" of things. I just made $150,000 so maybe they extrapolate that into monthly income, at that rate I'll make 1.8mm this year............sure if you settle 12 cases that size.
I'm the opposite. My mortgage is paid off, and I earn salary, chose not to be a partner.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:16 PM

30,703 posts, read 18,343,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I paid $300 for my flat screen 11 years ago. Pennies over the long-term.

At least for me, I am less likely to go out and spend money because of the entertainment options at home. Less gas/wear and tear on vehicle, money spent at restaurants, etc.
I agree. Even the pricier big screen TVs nowadays are going to cost pennies a day over the long term. We bought our 65 inch flat screen TV from the military exchange for roughly $1,000 almost two years ago and it still works great. Of course, $1,000 isn't even among the priciest for these large screen TVs (I couldn't justify spending thousands more as I couldn't tell the difference between the picture quality on our TV and the even pricier models), but as you note the big screen models can also go for a lot less brand new.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:25 PM

30,703 posts, read 18,343,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Eating out or fast food. One gal I know said eating out is cheaper, well no it isn't. No wonder she never has any cash to pay for motor repairs.
Eating out is a big one.

As for whether eating out is cheaper, I think context matters. I agree with the sentiment generally, but I think when we have these conversations, it's important to talk about the kinds of things you would want to cook at home vs. what you'd buy eating out and not compare eating out to merely scraping something together at home. Sure, you can easily and almost certainly more affordably cook at home compared to eating out, but I have found that the things I want and like to cook are not inherently cheaper to cook at home. And then there's the point about time involved with cooking, too. Sure, you can meal prep and freeze, but I also want some variety in my meals.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Eating out is a big one.

As for whether eating out is cheaper, I think context matters. I agree with the sentiment generally, but I think when we have these conversations, it's important to talk about the kinds of things you would want to cook at home vs. what you'd buy eating out and not compare eating out to merely scraping something together at home. Sure, you can easily and almost certainly more affordably cook at home compared to eating out, but I have found that the things I want and like to cook are not inherently cheaper to cook at home. And then there's the point about time involved with cooking, too. Sure, you can meal prep and freeze, but I also want some variety in my meals.
If its a tipping situation: 20% extra fro the "eating out experience" plus if you are drinking that's usually a 300-500% mark up minimum.

$15 Burger and a couple of $6 beers....... $27 plus tax/tip very easily could be $35 plus your costs to get there (cab/uber/drive yourself/bus/train whatever). Lets say you drive and burn $5 in gas. $40 dinner

Stay home: Burger $4, 2 beers $1.75 each = $7.50

So you ate/drank the exact same thing but you spent over 5X as much going out. Multiply this by 30 days and the "savings" is pretty significant.

30 X $40 = $1200
30X 7.5 = $225

Basically $1000 a month in savings eating/drinking the exact same thing.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:13 AM

35,143 posts, read 31,445,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If its a tipping situation: 20% extra fro the "eating out experience" plus if you are drinking that's usually a 300-500% mark up minimum.

$15 Burger and a couple of $6 beers....... $27 plus tax/tip very easily could be $35 plus your costs to get there (cab/uber/drive yourself/bus/train whatever). Lets say you drive and burn $5 in gas. $40 dinner

Stay home: Burger $4, 2 beers $1.75 each = $7.50

So you ate/drank the exact same thing but you spent over 5X as much going out. Multiply this by 30 days and the "savings" is pretty significant.

30 X $40 = $1200
30X 7.5 = $225

Basically $1000 a month in savings eating/drinking the exact same thing.
A couple weeks ago, I went out to a bar/restaurant I used to frequent a lot for lunch.

The bacon pepperjack cheeseburger that was $12 on the menu was $14 on the receipt. Diet Coke was $2.49. After tax, a CC surcharge, and tipping the bartender, the bill was $22.

Those burgers used to be freshly made with fresh cut fries. The patty tasted like frozen premade cutter grade - Burger King is better. The fries were just standard bagged fries.

Add a two or three beers on, and you're easily up to $40.

I bought a pound of organic 90/10 grass-fed ground beef at Kroger last week that I intended to do tacos with, but ended up making burgers. The half pound burger I made was about $4.50. Bun might have been $.50. A can of Diet Coke might be $.50. I was probably out $7-$8 for the lunch.

A craft beer would be $6-$7 at the bar, but $1.50-$2 from the grocery store.

I used to do "burger/sandwich, side, and two beers" for $20-$25 all-in. That was probably five years ago. $10 on a workday lunch was my upper limit. Now that's at least $15.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:21 AM

32,701 posts, read 48,250,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. Even the pricier big screen TVs nowadays are going to cost pennies a day over the long term. We bought our 65 inch flat screen TV from the military exchange for roughly $1,000 ..........
$1,000 spent on a TV is a lot of wasted money of you are having trouble scrapping up the rent and don't have any money for groceries at the end of the month.

You can buy a good 30 inch color TV for a couple hundred dollars, but none of the low income people have a 30 inch TV. They have the biggest and the best and I doubt that it is the thousand dollar one, and they might have bought it at the rent-it-here place, so they are paying twice what it is worth and high interest on the loan.

I've got nothing against a big screen TV, or cable movie service, as long as it fits into the budget. The problem with low income people is that they are buying things that don't fit into the budget and then they don't have the money left over to buy the necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance