Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 11:21 AM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Lets stop with the no degree makes you the richest in the world fantasy.......

Gates and Zuckerberg both dropped out of Harvard. They were smart enough to get into Harvard and had amazing ideas that they wanted to pursue hence the drop out part.

Don't pitch like these were guys sitting on their mom's couch saying: We don't need college!

Even Jobs said if he didn't go to a college calligraphy class he wouldn't have never had so many fonts in his Mac!
LOL I just saw this today on Bored Panda under Reasons People Didn't Get Hired:

"I got turned down at a well known tractor company because the job description said "Associates of Sciences or similar degree is required" and I have Associates of Sciences but in the interview I was turned down because I didn't have a bachelors degree. I'm like, "so the job description should say Bachelors degree required then? lol". The guy sounded like he wished he could have hired me because I had experience and passed all the tests they gave but his bosses would not let him hire someone without at least a 4 year degree." Ambitious_Ad_1937

I'm still trying to figure out what job, at a tractor company, needed a four year degree. Sales? Driving them? Factory work, putting tractors together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 12:15 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
$1,000 spent on a TV is a lot of wasted money of you are having trouble scrapping up the rent and don't have any money for groceries at the end of the month.

You can buy a good 30 inch color TV for a couple hundred dollars, but none of the low income people have a 30 inch TV. They have the biggest and the best and I doubt that it is the thousand dollar one, and they might have bought it at the rent-it-here place, so they are paying twice what it is worth and high interest on the loan.

I've got nothing against a big screen TV, or cable movie service, as long as it fits into the budget. The problem with low income people is that they are buying things that don't fit into the budget and then they don't have the money left over to buy the necessities.
Most low income people aren't technical enough to know what "the best" even is. They'll go into Walmart and look at the biggest screen, and potentially, price. Generally, somewhere like Walmart doesn't even sell truly high-end TVs. The people that are going to be interested in a truly top-of-the-line TV probably have some technical knowledge and are not low income.

Old 10-02-2023, 12:55 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
LOL I just saw this today on Bored Panda under Reasons People Didn't Get Hired:

"I got turned down at a well known tractor company because the job description said "Associates of Sciences or similar degree is required" and I have Associates of Sciences but in the interview I was turned down because I didn't have a bachelors degree. I'm like, "so the job description should say Bachelors degree required then? lol". The guy sounded like he wished he could have hired me because I had experience and passed all the tests they gave but his bosses would not let him hire someone without at least a 4 year degree." Ambitious_Ad_1937

I'm still trying to figure out what job, at a tractor company, needed a four year degree. Sales? Driving them? Factory work, putting tractors together?
An associates degree is usually a 2 yr. degree. Someone was confused there.

Old 10-02-2023, 03:30 PM

1,100 posts, read 431,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most low income people aren't technical enough to know what "the best" even is. They'll go into Walmart and look at the biggest screen, and potentially, price. Generally, somewhere like Walmart doesn't even sell truly high-end TVs. The people that are going to be interested in a truly top-of-the-line TV probably have some technical knowledge and are not low income.
Just for the record you can get a nice mid-level Sony at Walmart.

But yes if you want the newest and best, go to BB.

What I think people don't get is that you don't need all this fancy stuff in lots of applications.

I bought a mid-level on-sale Sony 75" for my bedroom simply because reviews said it's great for bedrooms, thus who cares about local dimming and OLED, etc.. I've had it a year and would rate it a sold "A" in picture quality. No reason to spend big bucks when you don't have to. The blacks are plennnnnnnty good enough.

TVs.....that is another good one.... and...... didn't think of this... ding ding.

VIDEO GAMES, or any of that kind of stuff.

Old 10-02-2023, 09:03 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
An associates degree is usually a 2 yr. degree. Someone was confused there.
But then they were told they needed a bachelor's degree. That's a 4 year degree.

And just because an associate's degree is 2 years doesn't mean you're going to finish it in 2 years.

Suppose you take night classes because you work full time during the day. Night classes usually run on M, W, T, and Th. 7 to 10 pm (I tried taking 5 to 7 classes but as I got out of work right at 5, I missed the bus too often to be allowed to continue in those classes). Now as a full time day student, you can take 4 classes a semester. If you're a night student, you'll be taking 2 classes a semester because classes usually run T and TH, or M and W.

But if you take a science class, like chemistry, then you'll only be taking ONE class a semester because one of the off nights will be a required lab class.

There are other bumps in the road, too. If you miss the first class, you'll be dropped from the course. If you miss 2 night classes, generally you're dropped from the class because you'll be 6 hours behind and won't be able to catch up. And you better have a car. Don't even think of taking public transportation because after 8pm, it doesn't exist. Then there's the problem of classes that follow one another. You take the first class in September, the second class in January. Oops! If you were sick for the first week of January, now you need to wait till that class is offered again the next January before you can continue. Day classes don't usually have that problem.

This is how it worked when I was in night classes. You'd be amazed at how many people thought you could go to night class and do all the same day classes in the same amount of time. The bottom line is, if it takes a student living at home (so not working) and taking day classes 4 years to get a bachelor's, it can take a night student 8 years to get the same, maybe longer. Which is why, when I attended community college, it took about 12 years for me to catch up on math classes, take a physics and chemistry class with labs, get my lower 2 year requirements, and do the first 3 years of a court reporting degree which was the only occupational degree class that required 4 years to complete.

Weekends? Weekends are time for shopping, cleaning, laundry, and HOMEWORK you couldn't get finished during the week. I still remember finishing at 2am and getting up again at 6 to go to work and still doing homework during lunch. I don't have the energy for that anymore.

What I'm trying to point out is if you are going to college to get a better job and more pay, a night student's degree will be having him miss at least 4 years of a better salary, which puts him behind for savings and retirement.

I'd also like to mention that a great number of trade jobs like electrician, plumber, welder, etc, can be very hostile to women. Not that women can't succeed in these jobs. It's just when you, as a woman, can't even get yourself into an internship or get hired on in a business where you can learn as you earn, there's little to no chance of learning any of these trades. Ask me how I know that.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:01 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If its a tipping situation: 20% extra fro the "eating out experience" plus if you are drinking that's usually a 300-500% mark up minimum.

$15 Burger and a couple of $6 beers....... $27 plus tax/tip very easily could be $35 plus your costs to get there (cab/uber/drive yourself/bus/train whatever). Lets say you drive and burn $5 in gas. $40 dinner

Stay home: Burger $4, 2 beers $1.75 each = $7.50

So you ate/drank the exact same thing but you spent over 5X as much going out. Multiply this by 30 days and the "savings" is pretty significant.

30 X $40 = $1200
30X 7.5 = $225

Basically $1000 a month in savings eating/drinking the exact same thing.
Eating out as in dining in I agree with you. But I count take out as eating out as well. In that case, you have to count the cost of meat, toppings, seasoning, sides (I don’t know about you but I always get a combo to include a side dish when I order burgers), bread, cheese, etc. Per serving it may very well cost less to buy everything and then eat multiple burgers, but what if someone just wants one burger? That’s there things can get tricky in my view.

Old 10-03-2023, 12:14 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
.........may very well cost less to buy everything and then eat multiple burgers, but what if someone just wants one burger? That’s there things can get tricky in my view.
Not at all tricky if you cook. If you want one burger and there is only one person eating, you buy a one pound package of burger, make 4 patties, and then freeze three of them and eat them later. You can buy a package of buns and use the others for other dishes, maybe a fried egg sandwich the next morning, or, literally every grocery store I shop at has a bakery where you can buy just one bun or roll. Or, all else failing, bread freezes really well.

Frozen French fries are cheap and you throw a handful of those into the oven. I am paying under 50 cents a pound for French fries and no one needs to eat a full pound of French fries with their dinner. The ones you don't use stay in the freezer.

Coleslaw is a lot cheaper to make than to buy, although even a really small head of cabbage makes too much coleslaw for one person. But you don't have to use the whole head. You can use part for coleslaw and make something else out of the rest of it.

What sort of sides are you ordering with your burger that you think are cheaper in a restaurant than you could make them at home?

Old 10-03-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Just for the record you can get a nice mid-level Sony at Walmart.

But yes if you want the newest and best, go to BB.

What I think people don't get is that you don't need all this fancy stuff in lots of applications.

I bought a mid-level on-sale Sony 75" for my bedroom simply because reviews said it's great for bedrooms, thus who cares about local dimming and OLED, etc.. I've had it a year and would rate it a sold "A" in picture quality. No reason to spend big bucks when you don't have to. The blacks are plennnnnnnty good enough.

TVs.....that is another good one.... and...... didn't think of this... ding ding.

VIDEO GAMES, or any of that kind of stuff.
Sure, gaming gets expensive if you're spending $70 for every latest AAA release. Sony and Microsoft's game subscription services work out to about $15 monthly and have tons of great games available with no additional purchase required. Many older systems and games are relatively cheap.

I grew up in the Nintendo 64 era in the late 1990s. I've seen plenty of Toys R' Us and KB-Toys ads from back then where games were $59.99 - $79.99. Inflation-adjusted, it was much more expensive

Old 10-03-2023, 04:05 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not at all tricky if you cook. If you want one burger and there is only one person eating, you buy a one pound package of burger, make 4 patties, and then freeze three of them and eat them later. You can buy a package of buns and use the others for other dishes, maybe a fried egg sandwich the next morning, or, literally every grocery store I shop at has a bakery where you can buy just one bun or roll. Or, all else failing, bread freezes really well.

Frozen French fries are cheap and you throw a handful of those into the oven. I am paying under 50 cents a pound for French fries and no one needs to eat a full pound of French fries with their dinner. The ones you don't use stay in the freezer.

Coleslaw is a lot cheaper to make than to buy, although even a really small head of cabbage makes too much coleslaw for one person. But you don't have to use the whole head. You can use part for coleslaw and make something else out of the rest of it.

What sort of sides are you ordering with your burger that you think are cheaper in a restaurant than you could make them at home?
It’s cheaper to sustain yourself with food cooking vice eating out on a cost per ounce basis, but that fails to account for preferences; heck I could buy a box of oatmeal, eggs, beef patties and some veggies at the supermarket and cook that for a week fairly cheaply compared to eating out. And if I’m up for nights of hamburgers in a row (or want to spend time defrosting frozen patties after work when I’m tired and hungry) as an example, then it’ll be cheaper to sustain myself that way. For me I’ve found that I may want a hamburger one night and fried chicken the next night. Followed by a gyro the next night and a seafood pasta after that. I could eat everything I bought and meal prep and it be cheaper. Once you start to account for variety and preference it may very well cost less money to maintain that same level of preference via eating out (though location will play a big role in this of course, especially once you factor in fast food joints).

Old 10-04-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It’s cheaper to sustain yourself with food cooking vice eating out on a cost per ounce basis, but that fails to account for preferences; heck I could buy a box of oatmeal, eggs, beef patties and some veggies at the supermarket and cook that for a week fairly cheaply compared to eating out. And if I’m up for nights of hamburgers in a row (or want to spend time defrosting frozen patties after work when I’m tired and hungry) as an example, then it’ll be cheaper to sustain myself that way. For me I’ve found that I may want a hamburger one night and fried chicken the next night. Followed by a gyro the next night and a seafood pasta after that. I could eat everything I bought and meal prep and it be cheaper. Once you start to account for variety and preference it may very well cost less money to maintain that same level of preference via eating out (though location will play a big role in this of course, especially once you factor in fast food joints).
I live alone during the week. What gets me is repeat meals. If I buy a pound of hamburger, I have to eat burgers for two or three meals, or eat way too much in one sitting.

I bought a package of pork steaks at Aldi Monday. I ate one for lunch yesterday - I'll probably grill another for lunch tonight. I froze the third one. I either need to buy just enough or a lot to freeze to make it worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance