Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 01:35 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

Sooo...recently my husband retired and we went to change his phone over from a company paid plan and add him on the family plan. He had to buy a phone since his company provided the phone. The process is like buying a new car and takes just as long to go though all of the options. So when they get to the billing part, they say how do you want to pay the bill? Send me a bill and I will pay you, just like before, I say. Well, then you will not get the $10 credit for autopay. I NEVER autopay anything. I am not giving control of my accounts to anyone. I have had gym memberships. I know how this works. But $10 is a lot to pay for a paper bill so I agree to the autobill on my credit card. Now I get a notice saying the $10 credit (fee) is being reduced to $5 if you have you credit card autobilled. Now we want control of billing your bank account. What a scam. Maybe I will just pay for the paper bill. Or maybe I will simply switch carriers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 04:47 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Switch to Consumer Cellular, they are IIRC an AT&T reseller, I have had them for like 10 years and no contracts, unlocked phones able to use my own phone, replaced a low end Android phone I got from them for $40 with a used iPhone 7 I got from a local cell phone shop, easy peasy.

This crap of "You have to buy a new phone and sign another contract" should not be put up with. When they say that, you say: "I'm out! You're fired!"

Old 09-28-2023, 04:57 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Sooo...recently my husband retired and we went to change his phone over from a company paid plan and add him on the family plan. He had to buy a phone since his company provided the phone. The process is like buying a new car and takes just as long to go though all of the options. So when they get to the billing part, they say how do you want to pay the bill? Send me a bill and I will pay you, just like before, I say. Well, then you will not get the $10 credit for autopay. I NEVER autopay anything. I am not giving control of my accounts to anyone. I have had gym memberships. I know how this works. But $10 is a lot to pay for a paper bill so I agree to the autobill on my credit card. Now I get a notice saying the $10 credit (fee) is being reduced to $5 if you have you credit card autobilled. Now we want control of billing your bank account. What a scam. Maybe I will just pay for the paper bill. Or maybe I will simply switch carriers.
verizon is the same …it is 10 bucks more without autopay .

we autopay every bill we can …

Old 09-28-2023, 05:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I have at&t pay as you go plan. I signed up for their 12m plan at $300 plus taxes billed once a year. 16gb data that rolls over if you don't use it. I have it auto bill my credit card for now additional fee. I use a virtual card so can destroy the number at anytime without affecting the actual card number.

https://www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/plandetails

Old 09-28-2023, 05:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
You don't have to use ATT. Lots of places offer a discount for auto pay because it saves them money, and they pass the savings on to you. PLUS, you do not HAVE to take the auto pay option, just pay $10 more.

There are lots of cell phone companies for you to choose from.

Definitely a political hot button?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2023, 05:25 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Nobody forces you to use autopay. You opted for it. Options change. You can go elsewhere.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:29 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
We've had AT&T for no telling how many years and have paid them, and just about all our bills, by auto pay as long as they've had it. Plus, with using AT&T, we're getting HBO Max, free. lol We have a relative who switched to Consumer Cellular through AARP and he said he wouldn't go to them for a drink of water. They were with them a little over a year. Tried calling to straighten out a problem with the bill. Couldn't get it straightened out. After a few months of still trying to get the same problem straightened out, he went back to AT&T and said he could kick himself for not sticking with them to begin with.

Old 09-28-2023, 05:40 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
We've had AT&T for no telling how many years and have paid them, and just about all our bills, by auto pay as long as they've had it. Plus, with using AT&T, we're getting HBO Max, free. lol We have a relative who switched to Consumer Cellular through AARP and he said he wouldn't go to them for a drink of water. They were with them a little over a year. Tried calling to straighten out a problem with the bill. Couldn't get it straightened out. After a few months of still trying to get the same problem straightened out, he went back to AT&T and said he could kick himself for not sticking with them to begin with.
I've had ATT for decades, unlimited data, international data/calls for a small additional fee for the days we use it.

Great price, auto pay, and the customer service has been good when I call (not visit the retail stores), good coverage.

If they DO get on my bad side? Won't start a thread, will change companies. Easy peasy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2023, 06:10 PM

164 posts, read 111,784 times
There may be many carriers and options, but unfortunately you don't get the same reception from all. Just went from Verizon to T-mobile and back to Verizon again. Kept getting dropped calls and garbled voice with T-mobile.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:13 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I autopay everything. What do you mean by them having "control"?

This is not really like the 'gyms'. I know what you're referring to and many gyms are notorious for this. But even then, since I paid with a credit card I just disputed the charges and blocked future charges from that gym and never used their services again.

In the many years I have auto-paid mortgage, water, electric, gas, insurance, student loans, streaming services, phone service, internet, etc. etc., I have only had ONE time where someone billed me incorrectly. It was the water bill and a digit got transposed on a manual read. I called them on it and I had a refund on my next month's bill.

Since I use credit cards, all my bills are going to a credit card. I never do 'autodraft' for bill pay. The bill goes to the card and then I pay the card off. If there was a problem with an improper bill, you can just dispute the charge with the credit card company. You haven't actually lost any money.

Not sure if that eases any of your concerns. Maybe I'm missing what kind of control you think you are giving them by simply having your credit card info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance