Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 05:37 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,746,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your chances of winning are pretty low.

Well hey, somebody has to win it, right? It could be you or the OP, but gotta buy a ticket at least. There's no strategy to playing, it just might happen.

But no sense in figuring out where to put the money right now. That's a fun task you can do once you match all the numbers. (In addition to hiring security)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 07:29 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just curious. I'm sure there are people who have brainstormed this all out.

Suppose a person just wanted nice passive cash growth. (Stock market, banks, etc.)
Is there a way to keep/manage that large a lumps simply?

No investing in any businesses. No buying any real estate. Both of which would have to be managed.
They don't want 5 houses. They don't want acres of land.

Dozens of accounts dozens of banks with less than 250K in each?
How do they even manage it? Where do they put it?
If the initial lottery payout goes to one bank wouldn't they have to split it up fairly quickly to get under the insurance limits?

The person doesn't want the annuity.
IF they were going to do annuities they should have just taken the lottery'e annuity.

So I'm wondering about someone who takes the lump sum and want to just let the money itself grow.

-----

If there's any way at all they'd rather take the lump sum...
Or with a billion dollar win is the only way to keep it simple to just go against what they'd rather do......and just take the lottery annuity. ....because .....In the long run THAT is the easiest to manage.
Something boring like a dividend oriented stock fund would work.

I'm thinking of something like Schwab Dividend Equity ETF (SCHD).

Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index or Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index would also be good alternatives.

I'd also have somewhere between 3 to 10 years' worth of reasonable living expenses in cash or a money market fund, depending on comfort level.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:14 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Something boring like a dividend oriented stock fund would work.

I'm thinking of something like Schwab Dividend Equity ETF (SCHD).

Vanguard Dividend Appreciation Index or Vanguard High Dividend Yield Index would also be good alternatives.

I'd also have somewhere between 3 to 10 years' worth of reasonable living expenses in cash or a money market fund, depending on comfort level.
With this amount of money I wouldn’t own a single fund. You can have direct indexing with tax management overlay to benefit from much better tax control, actual direct ownership and voting capability. I don’t think there’s any advantage to selecting a single fund really

Old 10-04-2023, 05:41 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Waaay back in the 70s, I worked with several WW2 vets. Talking to one of them, I asked how he spent his big $64 a month GI pay check.

He said "Well, I gambled some, bought some booze, and spent some on wild women. The rest, I just spent foolishly.."

Thank you Harold for great words of wisdom.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:47 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,746,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If the jackpot is large enough, then don't worry about investing. Just put the money into T-bills, CDs, and money market funds and go and relax and live nicely on the interest and maybe a bit if capital draw down.

If the payout is only a few million, at that point you need to worry about how to invest to preserve the capital and still live a nice life. That would be a little trickier. Once they take away half because you want the lump sum and the state and feds take their taxes, there is a surprisingly small amount left to try to get it to support you.
Agree, why worry about growth (or loss) with all that cash.

Old 10-04-2023, 07:25 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
One could open a trading account and manage the purchase of their own treasures portfolio. Develop a barbell strategy and hold to maturity. A pretty straight forward process once you get it setup.

Old 10-04-2023, 07:49 AM

936 posts, read 423,489 times
The drawing is tonight. I'll need a couple of days to claim the winnings and then I'll get back to y'all on my decision.

Old 10-04-2023, 01:39 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,778 times
I can't believe this has not been posted yet. If it has I overlooked it. When you have large sums of money you don't have to open accounts at multiple banks or have multiple types of accounts at different institutions. You simply use an Intrafi Network Deposit account. You have one bank account at your bank that is a member of the Intrafi Network. Any amount over $250,000 is funneled into accounts at other network banks so it is insured by the FDIC. You can have millions covered by FDIC insurance this way and it is very simple to set up and use.

Last edited by dijkstra; 10-04-2023 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-04-2023, 01:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I can't believe this has not been posted yet. If it has I overlooked it. When you have large sums of money you don't have to open accounts at multiple banks or have multiple types of accounts at different institutions. You simply use an Intrafi Network Deposit account. You have one bank account at your bank that is a member of the Intrafi Network. Any amount over $250,000 is funneled into accounts at other network banks so it is insured by the FDIC. You can have millions covered by FDIC insurance this way and it is very simple to set up and use.
I think not too many people have a need to know that information is why nobody has mentioned it.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:32 PM

7,752 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Vegas, baby. Vegas. Always split aces and eights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance