Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 05:51 PM

4,443 posts, read 8,144,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
My cut off went from $250 million to $500 million. Now I am moving it to $1 billion. That's how I put a limit on it.
Definitely inflation has made it where if it's not a billion prize, it's not even worth it to play...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 06:01 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,775,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Don't worry about it no one here is going to win it.

You never know. Look at Edwin Castro - any poster/bum on here could be just like him!

If you don't buy a ticket though, your chances are zero.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:19 AM

7,679 posts, read 3,309,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
You never know. Look at Edwin Castro - any poster/bum on here could be just like him!

If you don't buy a ticket though, your chances are zero.
True, I prefer my chances to be 0.000000345%

Old 10-15-2023, 07:56 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,791,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is there a way to keep/manage that large a lumps simply?
Yes, summed up in two works, "Dividend stocks". Invest all the money in 5 or 10 decent stocks that pay dividends and collect the income dividend checks every year. Yes, there are other methods to grow your investments quicker, some more risky, so not so risky, but all of them involve higher levels of management, whether you do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. So say you took the lump sum payout of 300 million dollars, lets just say they take 50% in taxes, that leave you with a 150 million, with an average dividend payout of 4% a year, that's 6 million a year, at 37% tax rate a year, say 40% in fed and state taxes, that's 3.6 million a year, dividends are paid out typically 4 times a year, so 900k every 3 months.

Old 10-15-2023, 08:17 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,638,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Yes, summed up in two works, "Dividend stocks". Invest all the money in 5 or 10 decent stocks that pay dividends and collect the income dividend checks every year. Yes, there are other methods to grow your investments quicker, some more risky, so not so risky, but all of them involve higher levels of management, whether you do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. So say you took the lump sum payout of 300 million dollars, lets just say they take 50% in taxes, that leave you with a 150 million, with an average dividend payout of 4% a year, that's 6 million a year, at 37% tax rate a year, say 40% in fed and state taxes, that's 3.6 million a year, dividends are paid out typically 4 times a year, so 900k every 3 months.
This is simply terrible advice. No reason to limit your scope to 5-10 names. It makes zero logical sense and concentrates risk when you have more than enough funds to distribute the risk wiser

Old 10-16-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
No reason to limit your scope to 5-10 names. It makes zero logical sense and concentrates risk when you have more than enough funds to distribute the risk wiser

Using ten different companies stocks diversifies your risk, you could bump it up to 20 stock to further diversify. My main point here is not to put all you cash into one stock, even it pays great dividends. Just remember that mutual funds by Bernie Madoff paid a great return on investments at one time, even if it was just an illusion.

Old 10-16-2023, 10:21 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Quote:
, "Dividend stocks". Invest all the money in 5 or 10 decent stocks that pay dividends...........
You can not put 300 million dollars into 5-10 stocks. A stock is not a nebulous abstract idea and it isn't like making a deposit with a bank. A stock is actually a partial ownership of a company. If you try to buy 30 million dollars worth of other peoples' ownership interest, the price would skyrocket quickly to the point where the rate of return was nonexistent.

Old 10-16-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you try to buy 30 million dollars worth of other peoples' ownership interest, the price would skyrocket quickly to the point where the rate of return was nonexistent.

The typical stock volume for a company say Exxon, is 16 million dollars a day, if you were to purchase the stock over a few weeks, then yes you could invest 30 million into one stock without a huge price spike.

Quote:
Please tell me what mutual funds Bernie ran.
Your right, Bernie ran unregulated hedge funds, but it's especially the same concept. Pool investors money to invest in various securities to a return on investments.

Quote:
A stock is actually a partial ownership of a company. If you try to buy 30 million dollars worth of other peoples' ownership interest, the price would skyrocket quickly to the point where the rate of return was nonexistent

Just one of the larger investors of Exxon is The Vanguard Group, Inc, with an investment position of 43 billion dollars, your going to tell me purchasing 30 million dollars of stock is going to spike the price so the P/E ratio makes it bad investment? Even number ten on the top 10 investors in Exxon position is 3 billion dollars, 100 times more than a 30 million dollar investment.

Last edited by Lizap; 10-16-2023 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: Clean-up from prior deleted post

Old 10-16-2023, 03:04 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,638,615 times
Quote:
Your right, Bernie ran unregulated hedge funds, but it's especially the same concept. Pool investors money to invest in various securities to a return on investments.
No it’s not the same concept. It’s not even close

Quote:
Just one of the larger investors of Exxon is The Vanguard Group, Inc, with an investment position of 43 billion dollars, your going to tell me purchasing 30 million dollars of stock is going to spike the price so the P/E ratio makes it bad investment? Even number ten on the top 10 investors in Exxon position is 3 billion dollars, 100 times more than a 30 million dollar investment.
You’ve misquoted me here as I didn’t stare what you’ve outlined as though I did

Old 10-17-2023, 09:09 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,245,786 times
Quote:
Using ten different companies stocks diversifies your risk, you could bump it up to 20 stock to further diversify. My main point here is not to put all you cash into one stock, even it pays great dividends. Just remember that mutual funds by Bernie Madoff paid a great return on investments at one time, even if it was just an illusion.
I think I would choose to squeak by on the meager 1.5% dividend yield of VTI in order to avoid the concentration risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance