Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 05:14 AM

900 posts, read 684,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP you know and have laid out the pros and cons of your aunt's plan.

You've said she's concerned the beneficiaries may not handle the money well, or use it wisely. Let me say in advance this isn't meant to be harsh in any way, but, sounds like she's trying to control people from the grave. Disbursements over 30 years? Really?

Except for the granddaughter (grandchildren) all the other people we're talking about are adults, right? Let them have the money at her passing -- and if they blow it they blow it. Or disburse money over maybe 10 years max...but 30? I know your aunt would have to make changes to allow this. Any chance you might discuss this?

If any of the adults who may not be responsible are the parents of the grandchildren, then the grandchildren's money must have a tighter lock on it....and maybe event more controls on that money.

I wouldn't want the parent blowing all their money, and chomping at the bit to influence the grandchild at 18 to give them some of their money.

I wish you well.
I think this points out the problematic parts of this in my estimation. My mom's estate pays 1% to manage her trust.
Why would you drag this out for 30 years--not you the OP, but you the aunt? That seems cumbersome. If this is a multi-million dollar estate, as OP seems to indicate, then why not pay the 1% and have professionals administer the trust. Because this is not a normal use of an executor. There are rules about getting the money distributed in a certain amount of time. I would think at least one of these heirs would go to court to change this arrangement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 08:09 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I think this points out the problematic parts of this in my estimation. My mom's estate pays 1% to manage her trust.
Why would you drag this out for 30 years--not you the OP, but you the aunt? That seems cumbersome. If this is a multi-million dollar estate, as OP seems to indicate, then why not pay the 1% and have professionals administer the trust. Because this is not a normal use of an executor. There are rules about getting the money distributed in a certain amount of time. I would think at least one of these heirs would go to court to change this arrangement.
There’s a difference between managing an estate and managing trust. You shouldn’t manage an estate for a decade or more but it could be more than responsible to manage trust for that long. A trustee manages trust, an executor/executrix manages estates. It’s helpful to understand the two roles, what they mean while also knowing the same person can be responsible for both. An executor should not be in the role for a decade or multiples but a trustee? Absolutely possible and reasonable

Old 11-09-2023, 08:27 AM

Thank you, that helps me understand the issue here. I guess I thought the OP was executor.
I think I may have mixed the two, so thank you for that clarification. I should probably read the original post again!

Old 11-09-2023, 08:28 AM

Okay, here is the situation, sorry if I got anything confused:
"She's very much an organized advanced planner like me and has amended her trust and made me executor of her estate, trustee of her trust upon her passing, as well as named me as her power of attorney for financial situations and medical decisions is she can't act for herself."

Old 11-09-2023, 08:36 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Okay, here is the situation, sorry if I got anything confused:
"She's very much an organized advanced planner like me and has amended her trust and made me executor of her estate, trustee of her trust upon her passing, as well as named me as her power of attorney for financial situations and medical decisions is she can't act for herself."
The OP could be executor, trustee and POA.

At death the POA is terminated

The executor administers the estate which would most likely include setting up the trust accounts

The trustee of the trusts would administer the trust until the trustee’s death, resignation or termination of the trust

The 3 can be connected to the same person or they could be different people. I get the OP point of not wanting the trustee role/responsibilities indefinitely

Old 11-09-2023, 03:11 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP you know and have laid out the pros and cons of your aunt's plan.

You've said she's concerned the beneficiaries may not handle the money well, or use it wisely. Let me say in advance this isn't meant to be harsh in any way, but, sounds like she's trying to control people from the grave. Disbursements over 30 years? Really?

Except for the granddaughter (grandchildren) all the other people we're talking about are adults, right? Let them have the money at her passing -- and if they blow it they blow it. Or disburse money over maybe 10 years max...but 30? I know your aunt would have to make changes to allow this. Any chance you might discuss this?

If any of the adults who may not be responsible are the parents of the grandchildren, then the grandchildren's money must have a tighter lock on it....and maybe event more controls on that money.

I wouldn't want the parent blowing all their money, and chomping at the bit to influence the grandchild at 18 to give them some of their money.

I wish you well.
The OP has the same problem I have-irresponsible heirs. It is true I’ll be dead and who cares if they blow it? Right now I am alive and since it is my money I want to decide how to distribute it. In my case my niece who is 13 doesn’t get anything until she is 23 and that is only AFTER my DD37 dies. If my DD were to die while niece is a minor her parents would blow the money before they even got it.

Quote:
This is exactly why I have a trust. The fee irritated me at first but someone pointed out this is a fee the heirs pay because of their poor money skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance