Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,948,772 times

Advertisements

I've never understood the % thing... do you divide up the grocery bills too? And if you do... do you base it on each person's income or the amount they consume? The only folks I knew that actually did use this system are getting divorced right now. Real messy.

For 10 years, my friend's ex gave her his share each month on the 1st. Then one day she realized that in addition to her "share" of the bills, she was being expected to buy all the household goods and groceries from her "share". They fought about it and he said that since she had 2 kids when they got married, and he never ate lunch at home and didn't eat breakfast that he shouldn't have to pay more than 12.5% of the grocery bills and he wanted it backdated. The "boys" had already moved out by this point, so since she didn't watch cable, she stopped paying the cable bills... as you can imagine, this escalated and now they're in the middle of a divorce. They were separated for awhile and he was giving her some $$ to help her out. She thought he was being more than fair and until last Wednesday when his lawyer finally produced his income statements, they got along better than they ever had. Then it turned out that he had been setting aside $$ every month in a separate savings account for their entire marriage and his income was 75% higher than he had told her. She never even glanced at their tax returns... he did it all on TurboTax and signed her name electronically... she never guessed!

Due to her naivete' she is not getting the % the state says she is entitled to (she set precedent), but she is getting 50% of $$ from the savings he tucked away, and 3x what she asked for in alimony.

And NEITHER of them is happy, both believing the other to be greedy. I think a married couple's finances need to be ABSOLUTELY transparent to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:39 AM

90 posts, read 534,438 times
Default Depends.

It all depends on situation. If a guy is making money before marriage, then they have to do prenuptial. If couple got married and after started making good money (opened business, got a high paying job), then I think pool money is a best choice, while having, lets say, 5 or 10% put in personal account for personal expenses (fishing, hunting - any hobby, etc.) would be smart. So if H makes 10K, 1K for his personal would be reasonable, and wife makes $4K, then she got $400 for personal expenses. All other major bills - mortgage, cars, utility, groceries, gas, education, etc. is paid from the pool money.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:43 AM

Lesson #1 - never mary a woman with children from her previous marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I've never understood the % thing... do you divide up the grocery bills too? And if you do... do you base it on each person's income or the amount they consume? The only folks I knew that actually did use this system are getting divorced right now. Real messy.

For 10 years, my friend's ex gave her his share each month on the 1st. Then one day she realized that in addition to her "share" of the bills, she was being expected to buy all the household goods and groceries from her "share". They fought about it and he said that since she had 2 kids when they got married, and he never ate lunch at home and didn't eat breakfast that he shouldn't have to pay more than 12.5% of the grocery bills and he wanted it backdated. The "boys" had already moved out by this point, so since she didn't watch cable, she stopped paying the cable bills... as you can imagine, this escalated and now they're in the middle of a divorce. They were separated for awhile and he was giving her some $$ to help her out. She thought he was being more than fair and until last Wednesday when his lawyer finally produced his income statements, they got along better than they ever had. Then it turned out that he had been setting aside $$ every month in a separate savings account for their entire marriage and his income was 75% higher than he had told her. She never even glanced at their tax returns... he did it all on TurboTax and signed her name electronically... she never guessed!

Due to her naivete' she is not getting the % the state says she is entitled to (she set precedent), but she is getting 50% of $$ from the savings he tucked away, and 3x what she asked for in alimony.

And NEITHER of them is happy, both believing the other to be greedy. I think a married couple's finances need to be ABSOLUTELY transparent to each other.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,424,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you see a lawyer b4 the marriage not after, otherwise you will be 100% responsible for debts of other party like it or not.
That's only in community debt states like Cali, I believe.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,172,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Do you want a good sex life or not?

happy wife = happy life
This is so offensive, I don't even know what to say. What freaking century is this?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
This is so offensive, I don't even know what to say. What freaking century is this?

What is so offensive about sex? And what it has to do with a century? You do not have sex in XXI century???

I am really sorry for that....

Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:

happy wife = happy life
INDEED!!!!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,787,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo
The man should take care of everything, except his wife's clothes and makeup.

But he can buy that stuff for gifts.
Quote:

happy wife = happy life

So in other words - wives should be prostitutes (sex for pay). Got it. To each their own I guess ...

Luckily, I married a woman.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
We have a join account and all money is deposited i it. We also have different join savings accounts for different things like next vehicole purchase ;general savings etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
So in other words - wives should be prostitutes (sex for pay). Got it. To each their own I guess ...

Luckily, I married a woman.
Gez, what a flat thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance