Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,985,864 times

Advertisements

My parents and I are on good terms. That said, they couldn't be much more financially irresponsible.

My mother has been on disability for about 20 years and it's her income source. Dad has been self employed his entire life and only makes enough to pay the bills (by choice). His thirty year long, three-pack-a-day smoking habit is probably going to do him within the next ten years or so.

I don't know exactly how much, but I know they have sizable credit card debts. Every few months they'll get something new that they have no business getting and cannot afford.

So, what happens to their debt when they pass away? Will by brother and I incur any of it?

They don't own a home, have any savings, or any life insurance. They don't even have any burial/funeral policy.

I don't want to be paying for their poor choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 04:33 PM

901 posts, read 2,989,911 times
I'm pretty sure that you will not be responsible for their CC debt unless you are an authorized user on their cards.

I guess you and other family members would have to pay for their burial when they die.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM

283 posts, read 598,080 times
Wow you sound so caring about your parent. All you care about is not to get their debt. LOL,

Old 02-22-2009, 09:04 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,431,153 times
He doesn't sound uncaring to me.

Don't get involved in their debt issues. If they die with debt and don't own anything the debtors won't be able to collect. Cremation is cheap. Just let your dad know that he and your mother will be cremated. If he has something else in mind he'd better start saving for it now.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,985,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Wow you sound so caring about your parent. All you care about is not to get their debt.
Fair enough.

All I can really say is they've knowingly made poor choices for years and I don't want that burden on me.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:33 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,759,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Wow you sound so caring about your parent. All you care about is not to get their debt. LOL,
Wow you sound like a jerk.

He doesn't sound uncaring at all, I think he sounds pragmatic. He's trying to figure out if he's going to get saddled with the horribly irresponsible choices that someone else is making. Whether or not it's his parents has NOTHING to do with it.

To the OP, the estate would be responsible for the bills, but unless you're on the CCs with your parents, you can't be hit up to pay them.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
They don't own a home, have any savings, or any life insurance. They don't even have any burial/funeral policy.

I don't want to be paying for their poor choices.
You will have to pay for any funeral expenses, If there is any estate, the creditors have claim to that, but if they basically have nothing, that is what they have claim to.

My wife went through this with her mother several years ago. She had a bunch of CC debt, and the CC companies sent bills, wrote letters that were pathetic at best "I'm sure your family member would want you to pay their debt,, blah blah blah"

With a big red marker she wrote on the bill "DECEASED - NO ESTATE" and sent it back. That ended it right there.

Bottom line, if you didn't take out the debt, or co-sign, you have absolutely no obligation to pay the debt.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:00 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,899,632 times
[quote=Asheville Native;7596611]You will have to pay for any funeral expenses, If there is any estate, the creditors have claim to that, but if they basically have nothing, that is what they have claim to.QUOTE]

This is absolutely accurate, nothing more to be said....
They can go after the Estate, but not after heirs...

Old 02-23-2009, 09:13 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
FWIW, paying for funeral expenses is optional as well. I'm sure there are a lot of child molesters that rot in pauper's graves.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM

6,825 posts, read 14,058,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You will have to pay for any funeral expenses, If there is any estate, the creditors have claim to that, but if they basically have nothing, that is what they have claim to.

My wife went through this with her mother several years ago. She had a bunch of CC debt, and the CC companies sent bills, wrote letters that were pathetic at best "I'm sure your family member would want you to pay their debt,, blah blah blah"

With a big red marker she wrote on the bill "DECEASED - NO ESTATE" and sent it back. That ended it right there.

Bottom line, if you didn't take out the debt, or co-sign, you have absolutely no obligation to pay the debt.

BINGO!

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance