Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't write checks for much of anything anymore, and I have to say it gets on my nerves when I'm behind someone at the grocery store who does. If you do it, why? There isn't much of a float to play anymore, as most companies are able to hit your account right away even if you pay with a check? I know it's not much of a big deal, but I'm curious.....
I still write checks, it makes it easier to balance my check book at the end of the week, if you don't like it you can always use one of the other 20 lines that are always open in the stores I visit. I supposed I am one of the few that still balance my check book as well, judging by many of the peoples books I do, that have no idea where their money goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
I love those. I try to use them whenever possible, but not all stores have them. And, yes...they do take checks.....
Ever store I shop in has them and most of the time no one is using them except this OLD guy.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. There are risks to using electronic cards, true, although our bank does have a limit of how much we are responsible for if the card is used fradulently. At the gas station they ask for a billing zip code, but I wonder about that- it seems like you could guess, since most people gas up close to their house.
I didn't know debit cards had that..banks used to warn you that a debit card was the same as cash....you lose it to bad for you (this happen to a lady where I worked). The only way my son got his money back was he had it insured for 10 grand or he would have been out of luck if he could not have gotten it back from the restaurant.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
It just GRATES to hear the whole, "...how much was that again?.....write the amount in the register...THEN on the check....tear if off....oops, I ripped it!...can I see your drivers license....um, let me get it...fumble...fumble..." argh.
LOL, that gets on my nerves too, especially somewhere like Wal-Mart where the lines are already sometimes long.

I just don't understand what the big deal is about debit cards. I put my receipt in my wallet, and when I get home I sit down at my desk, write the amount in my check register and subtract it, it's not that difficult. No offense to older people, but I think many of them still view a debit card as a credit card and think they may get charged interest or something.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
LOL, that gets on my nerves too, especially somewhere like Wal-Mart where the lines are already sometimes long.

I just don't understand what the big deal is about debit cards. I put my receipt in my wallet, and when I get home I sit down at my desk, write the amount in my check register and subtract it, it's not that difficult. No offense to older people, but I think many of them still view a debit card as a credit card and think they may get charged interest or something.
The wal mart where my wife shops uses the check as a debit card...you hand them a blank check they run it, give it back to you with everything printed on it..it shows up on your bank statement the same as a check would...and no we OLD folks don't look at debit cards as being the same as credit cards...we are not as dumb as you seem to think we are....I even know how to use a computer...I'd even bet I can do some things on it you can't...LOL..believe it or not even us OLD folks used them at work...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
I don't write checks for much of anything anymore, and I have to say it gets on my nerves when I'm behind someone at the grocery store who does. If you do it, why? There isn't much of a float to play anymore, as most companies are able to hit your account right away even if you pay with a check? I know it's not much of a big deal, but I'm curious.....

I have never written checks at the grocery store. The only time I use checks is when I am mailing off payments for bills. For groceries I pay cash and for items costing hundreds of dollars, if I don't want to carry the cash around with me, I'll just put it on my credit card, which I pay off at the end of the month

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have never written checks at the grocery store. The only time I use checks is when I am mailing off payments for bills. For groceries I pay cash and for items costing hundreds of dollars, if I don't want to carry the cash around with me, I'll just put it on my credit card, which I pay off at the end of the month

20yrsinBranson
Lots of times if it's under a thousand dollars I will take cash and pay for what I buy.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
If I don't write a check, I pay cash.

My daughter was bragging about debit cards until she found out her account was overdrawn due to someone ordering expensive golf equipment in another state.
(neither her nor her huband play golf )

Yes, the problem EVENTUALLY got resolved.

I never had that problem with checks and cash.

People behind me in line don't like it ?
Too bad !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
One time a woman ahead of me with little kids had a huge cart full of groceries.

She took awhile writing out her check, looked back at me and said-------" I apologize for holding you up"

I smiled and said----------"No problem ma'am. Your money is just as good as mine "

I wonder if some of the irate posters here have road rage everytime the leave the store's parking lot.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
If I don't write a check, I pay cash.

My daughter was bragging about debit cards until she found out her account was overdrawn due to someone ordering expensive golf equipment in another state.
(neither her or or huband play golf )

Yes, the problem EVENTUALLY got resolved.

I never had that problem with checks and cash.

People behind me in line don't like it ?
Too bad !!!!!!!!!!!
"expensive golf equipment"

Things like this happen more than people know and the banks don't want you to know about it.

Id theft is way up and will go up more as times get harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance