Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:10 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The best thing is to just not let the little things in life bother us so much...

But I have a feeling there just might be a lot of things that seniors can do that the young ones can't.
Houston, that's just what i was thinking. Whenever i see a senior write a checkbook in the grocery line, i smiile and think about my 65 year old mother. despite trying to bring her into the 21st century by getting her to pay her bills online instead of using snail mail and writing checks, she sticks to her ways. But, she certainly has been responsible all of those years in balancing the needs and resources of a household. who am I to say that my way is better? i'd much prefer a senior writing checks than a youngster talking/texting on their cell phone while pulling up their baggy ass-showing pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:15 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Houston, that's just what i was thinking. Whenever i see a senior write a checkbook in the grocery line, i smiile and think about my 65 year old mother. despite trying to bring her into the 21st century by getting her to pay her bills online instead of using snail mail and writing checks, she sticks to her ways. But, she certainly has been responsible all of those years in balancing the needs and resources of a household. who am I to say that my way is better? i'd much prefer a senior writing checks than a youngster talking/texting on their cell phone while pulling up their baggy ass-showing pants.
Hey!!!!! Them baggy ass texters are my kids and wife.....LOL

Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I suppose it could be worse, like when something rings up $10.73 and someone spends spends ten minutes digging one quarter, two dimes, four nickels, and eight pennies out of their pocket.
Just for you next time you are behind me I will pay the whole bill in nickels, dimes, and pennies...

(:>)=

Old 03-01-2009, 07:24 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Thanks, Houston for the info on the magnetic strip Magnetic stripe card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for anyone who's interested. Driver's licenses have that litle strip on them, too.

I guess what I'm hearing is that writing a check helps to keep track of the amount spent. There are security issues. And then there's 'because I've always done it that way'.

It's a foreign concept to me....but I'm sure my kids will be b#tching about me using that 'old fashioned debit card' one day!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Smile Remembering When

Surely some of us here remember the days when we waited for the clerk to finish handwriting the receipt, we then handed them cash, and the clerk then put it all in a vacuum tube thingy which went "upstairs" to accounting, while we waited at the cash regster and made small talk. Ain't it grand we can be all modern now, write a check, and get our receipt and be on our way in a flash!

Last edited by nalabama; 03-02-2009 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Can't spell

Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
If you can't wait a few minutes for someone to write a check, then move over to the next line or get over it. I write checks on occassion and I'm not a senior citizen by any stretch of the imagination. I think check writers are a bit old school and tend to be on the fiscally conservative side, and probably have somewhat of a distrust of debit or credit cards. Nothing wrong with that. It would't be so bad if more people did write checks. And so long as it's still a viable way to pay for goods and services, well, quit yer wingin already.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post

...Ain't it grand we can be all modern now...
Yes it is.

I am almost 70, have a gray beard, walk with a cane, and have a handicap sticker on my truck. Any one of those things qualifies me as an official "old geezer", but none of them mean I am stupid, feeble minded, or don't appreciate technology and efficiency.

I use a credit card for everything I can, including living expenses such as food, gas, and household bills, and I do all my banking and bill paying on-line, and the majority of my purchasing.

I'm glad I live in the "computer age" and I don't miss anything about the old days, except maybe the body I had 40 years ago.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Most old people do, and then they forget to write the date, or sign it or something that takes an extra 5 minutes to correct. Sure glad I dont live in Florida!
Also whats up with the people who stand in a long line with one or two items, when they can go through the U-scan???

Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Thanks, Houston for the info on the magnetic strip Magnetic stripe card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for anyone who's interested. Driver's licenses have that litle strip on them, too.

I guess what I'm hearing is that writing a check helps to keep track of the amount spent. There are security issues. And then there's 'because I've always done it that way'.

It's a foreign concept to me....but I'm sure my kids will be b#tching about me using that 'old fashioned debit card' one day!

There's nothing wrong with people doing things different.... It'd be a boring world if all walked in the same line...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,318 times
I write checks at the grocery store all the time (ever since my debit card was used to make purchases online).

What really bugs me are the sloths who can't seem to bag their own groceries. I don't mind waiting for an older person, but it drives me crazy when a relatively young, healthy looking person just stands there waiting for the harried checker to bag all their stuff.

Also, the people that put all their groceries on the belt then discover that they "forgot" one thing and leave everyone waiting while they go back to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance