Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 AM

9 posts, read 13,378 times

Advertisements

I had no idea I even needed to file a tax return in the US, so thanks so so much for mentioning it! I will get on it right away. I think you're probably right, what is the point in keeping my citizenship if it just going to end up putting me in a much worse financial situation? I miss the US, but it's mostly my family, and I will still be able to travel there as an Australian.. Lots to think about..

And Have/HaveNot, try using the visa wizard on the immigration website for Australia. Australian Visa Wizard - Visas & Immigration That should give you a good idea of whether or not you are eligible to move here.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:24 PM

91 posts, read 207,885 times
The below pretty much sums it up. And people on this thread ask me how i sleep at night? LOL, What the student loan company lost in my loan they more than doubled in this poor girls loan.

Julie, Texas:

I took a $12,000 loan out in 1994 to go to The University of Texas. I had a slight deferment and forbearance for 2 years-- which I take complete responsibility for. This means that that I stupidly
agreed to accrue interest of the greatest proportions. I expected to pay some interest, but since I
have been paying $400 a month for 16 years ($76,800) I expected to have an end in sight shortly. I
logged onto my account yesterday to see where I stood (it is always taken directly from my account)
and was horrified to learn my loan actually increased $15,000 (capitalized interest) since I last
checked. I have been paying on time every month and still owe $46,713. I almost **** myself. I
called and talked to an agent and asked them if this could be true. I told her I wanted to pay this off,
even if it cost me $1000 a month. She told me I would have to pay $1000 a month for 10 years to
pay this off! ($120,000 more dollars) I went directly to the bank and tried to get a fixed rate loan
and was quoted 14% interest for 4 years or $72,872.28. I called around several credit unions and
banks and NONE of them do student loans. I just don't understand how this is legal. I heard Sallie
Mae also owns their own collection agency and has the right to garnish my wages later in life when
my loans my spiral even more out of control. I'm so upset...."

Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,200 times
Default Similar situation and concerns.

Here is my story, another for Koochi24 to consider with this discussion board. I was a premedical student with dual degrees in Spanish and Microbiology Infectious Disease Containment. I borrowed a sum of 60k since there were two degrees. I was told that I could use these degrees to get a government job, however I wanted to go to medical school. I applied for medical school and both Sallie Mae and Direct loans refused me. I invested all this time to get there and now I cannot go. I knew as an M.D. I could pay them back and intended to do so but now I am stuck. Government jobs offer forgiveness on parts of the loan but the pay is not substantial to pay back Sallie mae. A private job company would pay more but I would lose the federal payback and I could not survive. I invested time and money to get to medical school and now I cannot finance it. Right now I live with parents and I am in deferment and forbearance with Sallie mae. It will not last long. No matter which way I see it, I cannot pay back one loan without the other murdering me. I could defer the federal for a few years but either way I won't make enough money to pay back and be able to live. Recently I was offered a job in Australia, the purpose for replying to your thread and I am considering the move. I will escape student loans, be able to make a living and be able to go to medical school. I do intend to pay back the U.S. eventually as I don't want that over my head, but they rip out your soul with payment. If I can escape and become an M.D. I can pay back the U.S. loans. This is the way I see your situation, while I am personally conflicted with paying them back, as AUS offers more money to M.D. anyway, I understand your choices. Signing your integrity to a company without integrity is not morally binding. Why should we devout our time to a corrupted system only in it to *********. Life is about the decisions we make and sometimes the best choice is to leave corruption for a better life. When you die only you are lying there, no one else so if you are comforted by your decisions than stick by them. Your signature to pay them back, your integrity, is only binding if the person requesting payback has integrity as well. Like trust, it must be given to be received. They destroy thousands of innocent lives per day, why I am honor bound to such morally corrupt people? It is like honoring the word of a know thief. Avoid the idiots and moral fanatics and remember that it is your life. You do not need to play by the rules when they do not and have stacked the game in their favor.

I was hoping you could message me to discuss the citizenship process of AUS as I am almost 100% sure that I am moving to avoid my life spinning out of control.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,141,538 times
I notice y'all didn't have these 'moral issues' when you were taking the money!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJhase View Post
Here is my story, another for Koochi24 to consider with this discussion board. I was a premedical student with dual degrees in Spanish and Microbiology Infectious Disease Containment. I borrowed a sum of 60k since there were two degrees. I was told that I could use these degrees to get a government job, however I wanted to go to medical school. I applied for medical school and both Sallie Mae and Direct loans refused me. I invested all this time to get there and now I cannot go. I knew as an M.D. I could pay them back and intended to do so but now I am stuck. Government jobs offer forgiveness on parts of the loan but the pay is not substantial to pay back Sallie mae. A private job company would pay more but I would lose the federal payback and I could not survive. I invested time and money to get to medical school and now I cannot finance it. Right now I live with parents and I am in deferment and forbearance with Sallie mae. It will not last long. No matter which way I see it, I cannot pay back one loan without the other murdering me. I could defer the federal for a few years but either way I won't make enough money to pay back and be able to live. Recently I was offered a job in Australia, the purpose for replying to your thread and I am considering the move. I will escape student loans, be able to make a living and be able to go to medical school. I do intend to pay back the U.S. eventually as I don't want that over my head, but they rip out your soul with payment. If I can escape and become an M.D. I can pay back the U.S. loans. This is the way I see your situation, while I am personally conflicted with paying them back, as AUS offers more money to M.D. anyway, I understand your choices. Signing your integrity to a company without integrity is not morally binding. Why should we devout our time to a corrupted system only in it to *********. Life is about the decisions we make and sometimes the best choice is to leave corruption for a better life. When you die only you are lying there, no one else so if you are comforted by your decisions than stick by them. Your signature to pay them back, your integrity, is only binding if the person requesting payback has integrity as well. Like trust, it must be given to be received. They destroy thousands of innocent lives per day, why I am honor bound to such morally corrupt people? It is like honoring the word of a know thief. Avoid the idiots and moral fanatics and remember that it is your life. You do not need to play by the rules when they do not and have stacked the game in their favor.

I was hoping you could message me to discuss the citizenship process of AUS as I am almost 100% sure that I am moving to avoid my life spinning out of control.
CJHase, don't think twice. Move to Oz and live the life you want to live if you have no future in the USA. Only one way to escape the indentured servitude that you are bound to in the USA. If you have been offered a job in Australia than the company offering it will supply you with a 427 visa. You can find all the info you need here:

Domestic Worker (Executive) Visa (Subclass 427)

In Australia you will find a better quality of life than in the USA, not to state the obvious. You will get better pay at work. 4 weeks holiday per year guaranteed. Beautiful beaches and awesome people. In Australia people work to live, not live to work. You can get a student loan in Australia under the HEX program once you are a permanent resident when you want to peruse your med degree. It's nothing like the corrupted system in the USA. You don't have to pay it back if you don't have a job, and you have to earn a certain amount to start making payments. Totally logical. It's really simple and if you don't take the job you are insane. What city is it in? Remember, Americans like to say, "if you don't like the way the USA is then get out!" Well make it happen.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 AM

Uh-Oh.....

1 in 5 households now owes student debt, new Pew Research study shows - U.S. News

Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,200 times
Default Reply to above post

I did and still do have every intention to pay them back, but I need to get to a point where that is possible. So for the personal reply about my ethics, I have ethics and morals but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to survive. I prob will pay them back I just want to be able to eat and have a home in the mean time. Thank you Koochi24 for the information. My offer is not filled with any information just that I need to do an online interview. It may be in Melbourne or Syndey but I have no details. It is a hard decision to leave my family and friends but along with all those financial aid problems, I need a life change for me. I am going crazy here and I see it as a refreshing change. Plus I hear the Aussies are way more fun than us Americans. What are some of the nice cities and if I have a choice to work in any city, which would you recommend.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,362,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koochi24 View Post

And stop taking my vets deserving loans comment way out of context. I WAS SIMPLY REFERRING TO THE FACT THAT I DID NOT GO TO UNIVERSITY OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL, SO MY HIGH SCHOOL PERFORMANCE REALLY DOES NOT COUNT FOR SQUAT. I WAS A VET AND THAT SHOULD COUNT AS MUCH AS BEING A HIGH SCHOOL BRAINIAC. IN NO WAY WAS I IMPLYING THAT I AM SPECIAL BECAUSE I AM A VET, I WAS IMPLYING THAT THERE ARE OTHER PATHS ONE CAN TAKE TO SECURE LOANS FOR UNI OTHER THAN HIGH SCHOOL. Jesus, how many times must it be explained to you?
Once. Because this is the first time you ever EXPLAINED that comment. I gave up ESP for Lent. Good day.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Once. Because this is the first time you ever EXPLAINED that comment. I gave up ESP for Lent. Good day.

Really? So this post in response to you dated on the 8th of September does not count as the first time I EXPLAINED it to you LUCIDLY?

"My point is high school has nothing to do with how or why I went to college. I'm not saying i deserve to not pay the loan back because I am a veteran, I am saying that I would not have gotten in to college right out of high school, and because I took the military path I deserved the loan, just like all veterans do even if they screwed their high school "opportunity" away."

So that is twice it has been explained. So it's possible you gave up your memory with the ESP? Then of course there is the whole reading comprehension issue as nobody elso took my initial statement out of context REPEATEDLY. Just saying. G'day, mate.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,966 times
All right - I have a few more options: I have two passports from two distinct and separate countries. I don't believe one even knows about the other. Plan is to get the education while stuck here, take a job in the country of other passport, and throw US passport in the trash. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance