Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 AM

72 posts, read 87,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think rejoicing a loophole to NOT pay a debt he voluntarily created and used is bragging. Pathetic to not pay a debt but that is my opinion because I was taught to always repay a debt I created.
Good for you. But this is not about you, it's about student loans.

He didn't find a loophole, he is basically exiled. If he never comes back then the goverment saves on social security and Medicare. If he comes back he will most likely have some garnishment on his benefits. I think at least one or two lobbyst have studied those scenarios and they liked what they saw.

The laws are written to protect large corporations, save the too big to fail empires and screw the regular citizens. Most pople unlike the OP, don't have an option to move to another country.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:06 AM

91 posts, read 207,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Dulcinea View Post
OP you can come back to the US once you reach retirement age(if you have enough credits). Why would you leave them your retirement money? They will only take 15% on any amount over $750
They can have my social security. It means nothing to me, and the US needs it more than I do I'd say. I don't bank on things like social security as it is as the system is broke enough now, and I can imagine will not be in existence by the time I am of retirement age. If I do decide to collect my social security I can collect from Australia and don't have to return to the US. The Treasury Department would garnish 15% of it, but that is OK by me.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well, my previous post covers the banks and government and what they should do to make financial aid function the way it should. However, it does not excuse you from your responsibility and duties that are associated with the decisions that you made. To run away from your student loans is a selfish and irresponsible act.

Remember, you chose to go to an overpriced, overrated school. You chose an overrated degree. You chose to perform poorly in HS and then in college. These are not the banks, governments, or the schools fault.
You think a 3.50 GPA at UCSD is performing poorly? Jesus, hope you don't have kids as they will be the most stressed out little buggers on Earth. 3.5 out of 4 was good enough for me at a school with a pretty solid Economics program. As for High School, yeah, still not sure how I graduated as it was pretty much about the beer and baseball. Kind of why I didn't go to uni right out of the gates.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,201,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koochi24 View Post
You think a 3.50 GPA at UCSD is performing poorly? Jesus, hope you don't have kids as they will be the most stressed out little buggers on Earth. 3.5 out of 4 was good enough for me at a school with a pretty solid Economics program. As for High School, yeah, still not sure how I graduated as it was pretty much about the beer and baseball. Kind of why I didn't go to uni right out of the gates.
In today's world of grade inflation, I don't consider 3.50 good. But I was more concerned with your HS performance. Frankly, based on your HS performance, you shouldn't have been awarded a loan to attend a university.

As for kids.... Doing well in school does not necessarily require additional pressure. It just requires the proper support. I find it funny how people are willing to take out $50,000 in loans to attend a university but are too stingy to pay a few grand for tutors to secure a free ride based on HS performance.

Last edited by NJBest; 09-08-2012 at 01:59 AM..

Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
In today's world of grade inflation, I don't consider 3.50 good. But I was more concerned with your HS performance. Frankly, based on your HS performance, you shouldn't have been awarded a loan to attend a university.

As for kids.... Doing well in school does not necessarily require additional pressure. It just requires the proper support. I find it funny how people are willing to take out $50,000 in loans to attend a university but are too stingy to pay a few grand for tutors to secure a free ride based on HS performance.
Grade Inflation? I can tell you right now that at the University of California there were no take home tests in the Econ Department. None of my professors graded on a curve. I could say your grade inflation may have some merit at a state school, but I did not attend a state school. You are being silly if you don't think getting all A's and B's in University is not all that good. Grade Inflation.....WTF. And who gives a rats ass about HS. I went to Iraq after High school, twice actually. If vets don't deserve loans nobody does. Grade inflation making a 3.5 GPA crap; comically absurd.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 AM

Interesting stat about my school; Other campuses have stricter grading policies. For example, average undergraduate GPA of UC San Diego is 3.05. UC Berkeley has a reputation for rigorous grading policies in some science and engineering classes. Departmental guidelines state that no more than 17% of the students in any given class may be awarded A grades, and that the class GPA should be in the range of 2.7 to 2.9 out of a maximum of 4.0 grade points.[12] Some departments, however, are not adhering to such strict guidelines, as data from the UCB's Office of Student Research indicates that the average overall undergraduate GPA was about 3.25 in 2006.

Looks likes I did ok at UCSD as we can only compare me to my peers.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:52 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,201,816 times
Quote:
Grade Inflation? I can tell you right now that at the University of California there were no take home tests in the Econ Department. None of my professors graded on a curve. I could say your grade inflation may have some merit at a state school, but I did not attend a state school. You are being silly if you don't think getting all A's and B's in University is not all that good. Grade Inflation.....WTF. And who gives a rats ass about HS. I went to Iraq after High school, twice actually. If vets don't deserve loans nobody does. Grade inflation making a 3.5 GPA crap; comically absurd.
UCSD isn't private to my knowledge.... but I'm not trying to discredit the school. It's one of the few solid public institutions.

Don't vets get financial support for education?

HS performance matters because it's the only shot you have at getting access to your university's endowment. The university is not going to award a student funding out of the endowment if they do poorly in school.

Anyways, you made decisions, you took loans, you promised to pay them back, and you decided not to. There's nothing that excuses you from this.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:30 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,363,531 times
Quote:
I'm a vet. I've got tours to the sandbox. I paid back *every dime* of my student loans, even when I missed payments I took the hit, paid the extra, and finished it.

Want to know why I missed payments? I was OVERSEAS. Sound familiar? But I didn't use it as an excuse.

A vet doesn't deserve a loan if they don't pay it back. Being a vet doesn't magically entitle you to skip out. You knew the rules when you signed the student loan paperwork. Being careless with the 'deferment phone call' isn't an excuse; you're just looking for validation for your poor decisions and lack of responsibility. Apparently being a vet didn't have the effect you appear to be trying to invoke, 'I'm a vet so I'm extra responsible!'

Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I'm a vet. I've got tours to the sandbox. I paid back *every dime* of my student loans, even when I missed payments I took the hit, paid the extra, and finished it.

Want to know why I missed payments? I was OVERSEAS. Sound familiar? But I didn't use it as an excuse.

A vet doesn't deserve a loan if they don't pay it back. Being a vet doesn't magically entitle you to skip out. You knew the rules when you signed the student loan paperwork. Being careless with the 'deferment phone call' isn't an excuse; you're just looking for validation for your poor decisions and lack of responsibility. Apparently being a vet didn't have the effect you appear to be trying to invoke, 'I'm a vet so I'm extra responsible!'
So what and who cares? My point is high school has nothing to do with how or why I went to college. I'm not saying i deserve to not pay the loan back because I am a veteran, I am saying that I would not have gotten in to college right out of high school, and because I took the military path I deserved the loan, just like all veterans do even if they screwed their high school "opportunity" away. Leave your high an mighty "I'm a vet" Jedi mind tricks at the door, dude. Seriously, come back to earth. it's great you are a vet, and that makes you extra special and super moral, but settle down. I'm not validating any of my actions with anything. Just saying vets deserve the same treatment as high school brainiacs. Nowhere did I say because I am a vet I deserve to bail on anything. Nobody really gives a hoot about vets except vets anyhow, except maybe on veterans day.

If they were to turn around right now, and restore bankruptcy protection, which I would not qualify for, back to student lenders, and clean up the student loan industry then I would do what it takes to make my payments. If you want to call this anything call it a political statement. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant and won't change what my sentiment is.

Last edited by Koochi24; 09-08-2012 at 06:38 AM..

Old 09-08-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
UCSD isn't private to my knowledge.... but I'm not trying to discredit the school. It's one of the few solid public institutions.

Don't vets get financial support for education?

HS performance matters because it's the only shot you have at getting access to your university's endowment. The university is not going to award a student funding out of the endowment if they do poorly in school.

Anyways, you made decisions, you took loans, you promised to pay them back, and you decided not to. There's nothing that excuses you from this.
Vets get the GI Bill if they opt in for it. I did not. Should have, but did not. As for the rest, yep, I agree. But then I made decisions again and here i am. THat's the game i am playing like it or not. It's the best option on the table FOR ME and I took it. The loan company got paid out by the government, the government got paid by the debt collector and the debt collector is left holding the bag. Boo hoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance