Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times

Advertisements

With my first one I didn't, my mom was with me and told me that I didn't want to and I always had regret. I have however been with a few that were rescued from a puppy mill and sadly eventhough the foster home tried like you can't imagine to socialize the critters, they were biters and we couldn't have a liability.

My vet is a good friend and there have been times that we'd go out to dinner while she was on call, I held a paw or two then as well.

Hoping that my Buttons forgave me knowing I was there for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:27 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Before I was a vet tech, I had never had to make that decision. When I was a vet tech, I assisted in many, and cried alongside many of the owners (it's amazing how close you become to the animals and their families) When it was time to make that decision on behalf of my own dogs, I stayed till the end...

WARNING: DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER INTO THIS POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE TISSUES HANDY. IT'S BEEN OH MY GOD ALMOST 10 YEARS SINCE I'VE HAD TO DO IT, AND STILL BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYES....

Now and Forever, These Pages are Dedicated to.....

Moderator cut: sorry, links only to copyrighted material per the Terms of Service

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-20-2007 at 03:46 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,219 times
I always stay with them. As a breeder, most of our dogs came into this world and took their first breath in my hands...it is my duty to be there for them when they leave this world, ensuring that they go surrounded by the same love they received during their lives. I couldn't imagine not being with them.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
I think you have to be with them or you might regret it. You might think later you deserted your pal. Even if I didn't stay until the very end (I stayed until her eyes closed before her final sleep), whether you are with them or without, the the aftermath of sadness is the same. Everyplace we went together on walks was very very hard, especially her favorite stops.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I don't know how I could not be there at the end. I would never forgive myself if I missed saying good-bye.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:07 PM

537 posts, read 1,768,317 times
<sigh> I'm still missing my sweet Chrissy-girl, terribly.

I thought I was just going to leave it up to the vet and the tech. DH was determined to stay with her to the end. But I just loved this dog SOOOOooo much, it was going to kill me to watch her go.

I didn't think I'd be able to stay. It just didn't seem like something I wanted to experience. But once we were in there, with blankets on the floor, and the lights dimmed, she was really fighting the sedative. (always the guard dog, doing her duty to keep us protected, she was curious at every movement going on.)

As anxious as she was, they gave her two doses of sedative. I got down on the floor to hold her head and rub her chest; rubbing her chest always calmed her down. Her head would pop up when someone else walked in the room, so I needed to be there to reassure her, ease her worries, calm her down. So when she finally decided it was time to rest, I couldn't pry myself away from her. She needed me there.

She wasn't even 10 yet.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:56 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
The vet gave us the option, and we stayed. A good thing, too, because we petted and he purred as he died, and that's the way we wanted to remember him.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:09 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
If you can make it through these threads without shedding a tear, you have no heart or don't like animals.

Nobody likes that fateful day of putting a pet down. I am sniffling here at work right now just thinking about it. I had a beautiful Retriever/Labrador mix that we had to put down two years ago. My father had to do it because I just couldn't drive up and say goodbye. I regret that now because I owed it to her.

I have a VERY affectionate border collie now and she is years away from being put down (hopefully). It does cross my mind every now and then that I will have to bring her because my wife will be a mess. After reading everyone's opinions, it made me realize how selfish I was with my first dog by not being there. I will be there with my current dog right till the end with crying eyes.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,980 times
Ugh I'm sitting here practically bawling my eyes out. These stories are all so very touching. I feel for all of you who have had this experience...I did have to put a kitten down when I was like 10 or 12 years old but we didnt stay. I felt horrible and thought about it all the time but I think my Grandma thought it might be a bit traumatizing for me since she knew my deep love for animals.

However, now I plan to be there when that day comes. I havent had to face it yet with my beloved Tazz. I hate to think of that day, but I know it will eventually come. I already told my husband I will probably need to be medicated after it happens. This dog means so much to me, he was there for me when I almost lost my husband to a pedestrian/car accident (he was the pedestrian) and when I almost miscarried my child around the same time. I often wonder how I would have gotten through those nights with my husband in the hospital without him. I know I couldnt have done it without him. He kept me going when I thought my world was crashing down on me. When his time comes, I want to be there for every last breath, holding my best friend in the whole wide world. I love him so much, just like he has been with me forever.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
im wondering how common this is. i have always stayed in the room during euthanasia in order to comfort my pet and somehow i feel like it is my duty. it is a horrible experience to go through but i always thought it was the right thing to do. im wondering about other's personal choices on this matter.
I have never had to go through that, but when the time comes, I will definitely, without a doubt, be with my baby until the very last moment! I know it will kill me, I get choked up just thinking about it, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I wasn't there with them, you know? Part of me thinks it would be best, for my dogs, for me to not be there, I mean, when I watch a dog get put to sleep on Animal Planet I cry so hard! I'm a complete mess after watching that! I can't imagine how I would be with my dogs! I would be worried that me being so upset would upset them, but I don't think I could let them be put to sleep and not be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets