Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 13,348 times

Advertisements

I am the owner of a 3 year old Boa constrictor. I admit this large species shouldn't have been my first snake but I do not regret geting him. He is my pet and friend. With that said I am now asking for advice on how I can change his temperment. I hope its not too late. He is a rather headshy and paranoid snake and he tends to show aggresion in unneccesary sitiuations. He's bit me only once as a newborn but I don't count that because he didn't even know me then. He's just an overly scared snake. How can I change this if at all possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeman View Post
I am the owner of a 3 year old Boa constrictor. I admit this large species shouldn't have been my first snake but I do not regret geting him. He is my pet and friend. With that said I am now asking for advice on how I can change his temperment. I hope its not too late. He is a rather headshy and paranoid snake and he tends to show aggresion in unneccesary sitiuations. He's bit me only once as a newborn but I don't count that because he didn't even know me then. He's just an overly scared snake. How can I change this if at all possible?
Its not likely that you can change that, but I do recommend handling the snake several times a week, for at least 20 minutes or so. Let it realize that you wont hurt it, etc, and sometimes snakes become accustomed to being handled. Just make sure you have someone else around when you handle your constrictor, for safety's sake.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:26 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,546 times
How are you approaching him? By that I mean does the cage you keep him in open from the front or from the top? Depending on how large he is (their growth rate varies quite a bit), it might help if you use a snake hook to take him out of his cage, especially if it's a top opening cage like an aquarium. It's very common for snakes to be fearful and defensive if you swoop down on them from above, especially if you use quick movements. It makes you seem like a predator that's going to attack them.

Use a hook to get him out, then just relax. Don't force the head issue. He might eventually let you touch his head, he might not. Some snakes never get over being head shy, but there's really no reason to be touching a snake's head anyway unless there's some kind of medical issue like retained eyecaps, and those shouldn't really be a problem unless you need to increase your humidity. Short frequent handling sessions are better. Try not to handle him so long that he gets agitated, you don't want him to get the idea that if he acts pissy you'll leave him alone. Just take him out for a few minutes, hold him gently, then put him away like it's no big deal. Above all, move slowly.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 13,348 times
Thanks guys for your responses and advice. To answer Hesster's questions I have a very large aquarium that I converted to a snake cage but it does open from the top. He's about 6 ft but has plenty of room. You're right about the head thing I really dont need to touch his head. I have been taking him out and handling him more frequently and he hasn't shown any aggresion since my initial post so maybe I was overreacting a bit. I wont trust him someone else though cause I know he can get pissy. Someone on another board claims that if you feed them live food they get a little meaner. Any truth to that? Mainly because he rejects frozen food more than half the time so I feed him live which he eats almost instantly.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,825 times
Quote:
I have a albino corn snake i was just wondering if u mite no why when i barely touch him he jumps????

Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
You can "gentle" a snake over time by frequent handling without any incident that could be construed as unpleasant by a snake, but it's difficult to modify behavior in a creature that is basically hardwired to be what it is and do what it does. Also bear in mind that no amount of "gentling" guarantees that the next time you handle the snake will not be the time that the snake spooks and does something you will not enjoy. It is a snake, afterall.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
I have not kept any snakes myself but have many friends who keep multiple snakes and none of them have indicated that feeding live prey makes them somehow meaner. As other posters have said frequent handling is the best way to make them calmer when being handled. At the wildlife rescue we are often asked by snake owners why their snakes get aggressive when the top of their cages are lifted. Often with a little questioning it turns out the person is not handling the snake much and so the snake is associating opening the top of the cage with food. The more they are handled wihtout being fed the less likely they are to associate the two. It doesn't sound like that is what is going on in your case but consider me another vote for additional handling.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Someone on another board claims that if you feed them live food they get a little meaner. Any truth to that?
More than half of my 17 snakes only eat live prey, and the majority are sweet as can be. So at least in my experience, that really doesn't affect their temperament - neither does feeding them in their enclosures (vs a feeding bin), as all of mine have been. As for your original question, just keep handling him regularly for short periods of time... don't push him if he's acting stressed, but also don't allow him to "scare" you off. Oh, and most snakes are head-shy, so don't be surprised if he's always reactive in that area. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 AM

Oops... just noticed how old the OP is, so I hope the issue has since been resolved!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakejakek View Post
I have a albino corn snake i was just wondering if u mite no why when i barely touch him he jumps????
Is he a baby? Most baby snakes, especially corns, are a little jumpy... just be patient and handle him regularly (for no more than 5-10 minutes), and he should mellow out with time. All but one of my corn snakes are skittish, but settle down once they're comfortably in my arms. Then there's little Scout, who literally crawls into my hand when I open his tub, and doesn't want me to put him back - ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets