Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,582 times

Advertisements

I think $500 is a pretty reasonable limit. So many other animals you could help if the amount got greater than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:55 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
I think $500 is a pretty reasonable limit. So many other animals you could help if the amount got greater than that.
You can think what you may, but I believe all the other posters on this thread have made the point of your $500 moot. Seems to me that the majority of people who posted here have chosen a more moral road to pet care, meaning that they will tend to their pet’s health according to the situation not the price involved. Some might have a tighter budget then others, which we can understand, others willing to go without a new pair of shoes for the health and safety of their pet.
For me the controversy is over, the pet healthcare providers have proven to me that there are many more of them who will care for pets then those who chose not to. I am happy fro all the posters here who say they will tend to their pets needs with a moral understanding that they deserve a good life and not put a unjustified limit to that care.

"An understanding and acceptance of the theory of evolution is important because without that acceptance there is a perception of a great separation between humans and animals which simply is not true."
Quote by David N. Snyder, Ph.D.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
A neighbor has a Dachshund who broke her back - she spent 50K on a Spinal fusion (successful).

Personally, there is no limit on what I would spend on our pet.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,845 times
My shepherd had been having seizures for the past 2 years, also had arthritis in his hips. When he first started having the seizures we took him to the University in Gainsville Fl they did a full checkup and an MRI. All of that ended up costing close to $4,000. Then there were the x-rays for his hips, meds for pain, which didn't work with him, shots that were not cheap that didn't work either. His seizures were getting worse, he had 8 seizures in 2 days and never recovered from them. He had to be pts in Jan. he was only 5 years old. My point is, is that I did everything I could for him, I don't regreat it. He was part of my family.

I don't understand your statement about $500 being the limit for you dog. So anything beyond that goes to help other dogs, what happens to your dog then? I donate to shelters, my husband and I have been involved in GSD rescue, we have pulled shepherds from kill shelters and transported them to where ever they needed to go. I try to help when I can. But when It comes to my own, I will do what I can to give them the best possible life. Thats my responsibility as a pet owner.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:54 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
My shepherd had been having seizures for the past 2 years, also had arthritis in his hips. When he first started having the seizures we took him to the University in Gainsville Fl they did a full checkup and an MRI. All of that ended up costing close to $4,000. Then there were the x-rays for his hips, meds for pain, which didn't work with him, shots that were not cheap that didn't work either. His seizures were getting worse, he had 8 seizures in 2 days and never recovered from them. He had to be pts in Jan. he was only 5 years old. My point is, is that I did everything I could for him, I don't regreat it. He was part of my family.
I am sorry you baby suffered so from the hip and seizure troubles. My white GSD had the same problem, but much later in life. I did all that I could as well. Finally was able to make her a little more comfy. Later she died from CHF at home. It is never easy but you did what you could and that was to give your Beauty a good chance. Kudos to you for all your hard work with your babies and all those you help in rescue.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:15 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,845 times
I'm sorry too about your GSD.

They are our loyal companions and they depend on us to take care of them.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:37 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
You can think what you may, but I believe all the other posters on this thread have made the point of your $500 moot. Seems to me that the majority of people who posted here have chosen a more moral road to pet care, meaning that they will tend to their pet’s health according to the situation not the price involved. Some might have a tighter budget then others, which we can understand, others willing to go without a new pair of shoes for the health and safety of their pet.
For me the controversy is over, the pet healthcare providers have proven to me that there are many more of them who will care for pets then those who chose not to. I am happy fro all the posters here who say they will tend to their pets needs with a moral understanding that they deserve a good life and not put a unjustified limit to that care.

"An understanding and acceptance of the theory of evolution is important because without that acceptance there is a perception of a great separation between humans and animals which simply is not true."
Quote by David N. Snyder, Ph.D.
You can think what you may, but I believe all the other posters on this thread have made the point of your $500 moot.

Maybe it's moot for you, but not for me. $500 is the limit.

Seems to me that the majority of people who posted here have chosen a more moral road to pet care, meaning that they will tend to their pet’s health according to the situation not the price involved.

Maybe that's your morality. It's not mine.

I am happy fro all the posters here who say they will tend to their pets needs with a moral understanding that they deserve a good life and not put a unjustified limit to that care.

I feel that my pet deserves a good life, but my $500 limit is perfectly justified. I feel that paying more than that would be immoral for me because it would deprive others of resources.

Moderator cut: comment on moderation The OP asked a simple quesiton, and I answered it. I think your criticism is out of line.

Last edited by leorah; 04-15-2009 at 06:14 AM.. Reason: TOS violation: No discussion on mod actions allowed

Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,273 times
Just curious, what would you do then with your pet if the estimate for a cure was over $500? Euth it? Turn it in to a shelter or pound? Drop it off on a street somewhere?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMlover View Post
Reading these comments has been a real eye opener!! I consider myself a "dog person" and I love my dog but she's a dog!! I would never compare her to a child and find people who equate their pets to their children rather bizarre. The most I would spend at one time would be about a thousand dollars. Even if I was wealthy I can't imagine spending thousands and thousands on a pet. Think of all the human charities that could use that money! People who say all life forms are equal and have the same moral standing to me are nuts, so a human being is equal to a cockroach or a rat?? That is insane!!

I spent $2000 on surgery for my dog. I donated over five times more than that to charity last year. How I choose to spend my money is really no ones business but my own.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
I have never thought about putting a "limit" on the value of my furkids.

One trip to emergency can blow 500 bucks EASILY though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets