Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,445,992 times

Advertisements

For me, it's not a monetary question, but one of the quality of life.

If one of my pets needed a $2500 surgery and afterward would have a long healthy life with no impact on it's physical well being, I'd do it. There's no question.

However, even if it was a less expensive surgery that would leave them with a shortened life span and / or a lesser quality of life, I'd just go ahead and let them go.

We just went through that with our rottie. He had other issues like hip dysplasia when he was diagnosed with bone cancer in a front leg. Dogs carry 70% of their body weight in the front legs alone. Removing one of them when he was already old and already had other problems just wasn't an option. It probably only would have bought him an extra year of life because of his advanced age, there was a good possibility he wouldn't make it through the surgery, and the time it did buy him if he made it would have left him miserable.

Had he been an otherwise healthy puppy we'd have done it in a heart beat. Through our vet it only would have cost in the $700 range. For us, it's definitely worth it.

I do not see my children and my pets on equal ground. If my home was on fire and I had both a child and one of my pets stuck in the house and could only save one, it would be my child. The guilt would completely destroy me, but I'd choose my child.

That said, quite frankly, I like animals way more than kids. I'd not give mine up for anything in the world, but if I were to go back in time and know then what I know now, there's no way in hell I'd have had kids. I would have stuck to 'fur kids'. I'm one of the women that seldom talk about their honest feelings about being a mother. My mother lied to me and told me that having a child was the be all end all of life for her, that she wasn't complete until she had kids. So I went into motherhood with those expectations. Parenthood is no Leave it to Beaver episode. So I've made sure I tell my kids exactly what it's like to be a parent, the emotional, physical and financial strain that it causes not only on you, but on your marriage as well. And they know that if they choose not to have kids I 175% support that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,462,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshie View Post
Right before we got our first kitty, my wife and I decided $200 would be our limit. Now that we have her, we would probably go as far as $500. I have heard of a person spending as much as $5000 on their dog. Even if I had money to burn, I'm not sure spending that kind of money on an animal would be right for me.

How about some of you? Is there an amount you have in your mind you wouldn't go beyond?
You can't put a number on it. Once you get emotionally bonded to an animal, everything changes. Many people consider their pets a member of the family, and if their baby gets sick, they find the money and the means.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 PM

378 posts, read 1,653,927 times
I would do everything possible to save my child.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,909 times
I love my pets, but they are not equal to my child. I would go through whatever was absolutely necessary to save my daughter. I have my pets purely for companionship and my enjoyment. That does not lessen the responsibility I have towards them. But I could never compare them to the responsibility, love, and obligation I have for my daughter. I did not have my daughter for companionship, nor do I keep her purely for the enjoyment of my life. There is a limit to what I would do for my pets. But, in regards to the beautiful life that I brought into this world, I would go through hell inifinitely to do whatever is necessary for her.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,499,744 times
Quote:
Right before we got our first kitty, my wife and I decided $200 would be our limit. Now that we have her, we would probably go as far as $500. I have heard of a person spending as much as $5000 on their dog. Even if I had money to burn, I'm not sure spending that kind of money on an animal would be right for me.

How about some of you? Is there an amount you have in your mind you wouldn't go beyond?
$200.00 would barely cover being neutered and the first round of shots!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,985,027 times
Quote:

Original Poster

I have spent alot of money on my pets, its the quality of life my pet will have, if you can afford expensive treatments thats great, nowdays newer techniques are developed in vet medicine.

The costs of animal health is outrageous, I feel some vets take advantage of pet owners, not all but I'd bet on 50%.

I have found in my journey some pet medications can be purchased at the pharmacy for less, do a search on the name of the pet medicine look for the generic name, Metacam is one its for pain cost is about $90.00 for the large bottle of this pain liquid at the vets. Meloxicam which is the generic is a human drug it comes in 7.5 mg tablets, these would be broken in 1/2 or 1/4's depending on the weight of your pet, cost of Meloxicam $ 4.00, the vet is not going to tell you that.

Cataract Surgery prices will vary state to state, call and inquire, same with teeth cleaning you may get quoted $300.00 at one place and $ 800.00 at another.

If your pet is unfortunate and has cancer there are options, expensive ones, but sometimes it will turn out its not cancer, I would always get a 2nd opinion on this, and check with a Vet teaching school.

You really cannot put on a price on a pet, it depends on the quality of life they will have with any treatments.

If you cannot afford to keep your pet and your pet is ill there are organizations that take care of sick pets, elderly pets, pet sanctuaries.

Sorry this is long winded, thought some would like to know.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,956,544 times
Quote:

I could not imagine placing a dollar amount on medical care for my pets, they are part of my family. The love they give to me is priceless, and when I adopted them, it was a commitment for life.

I would give up some of my extras like cable, cell phone etc before I would stop providing medical care. I would only stop if the vet said there is nothing more we can do, or that they are suffering too much.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
$200.00 would barely cover being neutered and the first round of shots!

Agreed. How sad for the pet.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:

Whatever it took.

My kitties are a huge part of my life, and as their guardian it is my responsibility to do whatever it takes to keep them well and in good health. The only time or circumstances that I would consider putting them to sleep would be if their quality of life would be so poor or if they were suffering in some way. Otherwise I would pony up any amount to care for them.

Money is no good to me if I cannot use it to care for the things that I love. That is what money is FOR.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Whatever it took.

My kitties are a huge part of my life, and as their guardian it is my responsibility to do whatever it takes to keep them well and in good health. The only time or circumstances that I would consider putting them to sleep would be if their quality of life would be so poor or if they were suffering in some way. Otherwise I would pony up any amount to care for them.

Money is no good to me if I cannot use it to care for the things that I love. That is what money is FOR.

20yrsinBranson
Well said !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets