Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM

283 posts, read 894,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
E22222895...the fact is that different things are important to different people. I understand you love your children more than you love your cat. That is fine.

But why should _I_ love your children or anyone else's children more than I love my dog? Because they're human? That's crap.

There are a lot of really Moderator cut: bad human beings out there, and the fact is that your kids have a greater chance of becoming one of them and affecting other's lives negatively than my dog has.

I am no animal extremist or PETA nut or whatever, but your insisting that human beings trump every other life form on this planet is a little disturbing. And even if we do trump them all, don't we as the dominant life form have a responsibility to do all we can for the 'lesser' creatures?

And just b/c you treat animals like gold does not mean you treat people like Moderator cut: badly. In fact, if we treated animals better, we might stop dehumanizing each other and rationalizing the cruel ways we treat each other. B/c we see animal's lives as disposable, we can more easily impose those same sentiments on human beings we don't care for. See: slavery.

There are some animal people who will go to crazy outlandish measures for their pet, then use that as a battering ram against those who have the proper perspective regarding pets. When people use their eccentricities to put down other people, then that is not being charitable OR humane.

1. Crazy and outlandish in your opinion.

2. Eccentric? Again. In your opinion.

3. "Proper perspective"? Have you seen the crazy way people are raising their kids these days? No respect, no discipline, no learning winning/losing/earning. Everyone is a little prince or princess. Hard lessons are being lost to preservation of self-esteem. It's ridiculous.

My proper perspective is that I have voluntarily taken a life into my hands and am responsible for the health and well-being of said life. Whether that's a dog or a kid, my responsibilities don't change. I don't have to spoil them or make them my whole world, but food, shelter, training, medical care...hell, yeah. That's my responsibility.
Said everything I wanted to say

Last edited by leorah; 04-10-2009 at 05:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:14 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,140,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
E22222895...the fact is that different things are important to different people. I understand you love your children more than you love your cat. That is fine.

But why should _I_ love your children or anyone else's children more than I love my dog? Because they're human? That's crap.

There are a lot of really Moderator cut: bad human beings out there, and the fact is that your kids have a greater chance of becoming one of them and affecting other's lives negatively than my dog has.

I am no animal extremist or PETA nut or whatever, but your insisting that human beings trump every other life form on this planet is a little disturbing. And even if we do trump them all, don't we as the dominant life form have a responsibility to do all we can for the 'lesser' creatures?

And just b/c you treat animals like gold does not mean you treat people Moderator cut: badly. In fact, if we treated animals better, we might stop dehumanizing each other and rationalizing the cruel ways we treat each other. B/c we see animal's lives as disposable, we can more easily impose those same sentiments on human beings we don't care for. See: slavery.

There are some animal people who will go to crazy outlandish measures for their pet, then use that as a battering ram against those who have the proper perspective regarding pets. When people use their eccentricities to put down other people, then that is not being charitable OR humane.

1. Crazy and outlandish in your opinion.

2. Eccentric? Again. In your opinion.

3. "Proper perspective"? Have you seen the crazy way people are raising their kids these days? No respect, no discipline, no learning winning/losing/earning. Everyone is a little prince or princess. Hard lessons are being lost to preservation of self-esteem. It's ridiculous.

My proper perspective is that I have voluntarily taken a life into my hands and am responsible for the health and well-being of said life. Whether that's a dog or a kid, my responsibilities don't change. I don't have to spoil them or make them my whole world, but food, shelter, training, medical care...hell, yeah. That's my responsibility.

Yes!

Last edited by leorah; 04-10-2009 at 05:48 AM..

Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,855,491 times
We are the caretakers of the animal kingdom and therefore should always do our best to care for all those left in our charge. I have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird and two wonderful barn swallows on my front door overhang. Add on to that the many birds and squirrels, a few tree frogs who croak at my back yard pond and the odd and ends of animal life I come across daily.

If an animal in my charge or comes into my charge is suffering I am 'obligated' to assist that animal by all means possible. I have had a wild bird dye in my hands after some child shot with a bb gun; it was able to fly into my yard. I have my current Cockatiel for it too flew into my yard, half starving but otherwise healthy.

I agree what Stan4 has said and many others here. However I do feel sad that some people do not think that their job as caretaker goes beyond simple food and water.

Caretaker of a domesticated animal is highly complicated and can be very expensive. If an animal suffers we should ease that suffering, but not at the cost of the life. Like in a human if there is a chance for a life to live then we must give them the chance to live a happy life. Unfortunately we are kinder to our animals then we are for the humans since in cases where no chance for a good life we can ease the suffering of an animal easily and painlessly.

If a person can't afford the standard cost of a pet.... then don't get one. Even a gold fish has costs.
The fact of the matter is for anyone who would put a 'limit' of cost for a pet makes it hard for others to understand or like that person. Especially if that 'limit' is unreasonably low. I can understand if it was said “I would not pay more then 500 to GET my pet”, but I believe it was said that they would not pay more then 500 on there pet making it sound like: once I hit my 500 mark on vet bills and all out the animal goes. That sounds heartless and cruel.

One final thought. {IMO} The animal life on this Planet is a gift from God. As I see it if one neglects or harms an animal in their care they are harming God or at the very least abusing his gift. One should never put 'limits' on such gifts.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:01 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,474,501 times
My beloved kitty named Tumnus (check out my photos to see my little white cat) had a stroke and was at the Vets for 3 days, they gave him medication and IV fluids. The doctor thought we would have to put him to sleep and I arrived there yesterday thinking that also. I had told myself I would have to go home and dig a grave for him next to his buddy Rufus who died a year ago (still feels like yesterday).

WELL, he decided his 9 years were not enough and decided to start eating. I brought him home and fed him baby food and he went after it like a wild man. we put a towel over a pillow and put him in the bed and he fell off to sleep, only to wake up and ask for MORE food. We are giving him water in a syringe (the kind with no needle) because he doesn't seem to understand how to stick his face down in the bowl and drink yet.

He is walking but still unsteady on his feet. Today while we were having a garage sale, I held him up under my chin with his head over my heart and he purred for the first time since he had his stroke. It brought tears to my eyes.

The $240 was MORE then worth it just to hear my baby purr again.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,140,240 times
Lindsey
I am so happy for you. Your little one is really loved. And it isn't about the money, it's about the care. Wishing you and Tumnus many more years of hugs.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 AM

283 posts, read 894,255 times
I so happy to hear Tumnus is getting better. Lots of purrs and hugs to both of you.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM

26,033 posts, read 22,225,100 times
We once went to a new vet and he asked that question on the medical forms you fill out before they see the animal. He was the most expensive vet which we used only once since they had practices we did not approve of. I too often see animals suffering from the surgeries and treatments that are saving their lives and many other perfectly healthy pets being destroyed at the animal shelters. I chose for my pets what I would chose for myself.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,869,634 times
We spent over $1000 on a cat who came into our life a few years ago and we still had to put him down. He was not neutered and kept having urinary problems. If I had it to do all over again I would have elected for the surgery to have his penis cut off so he wouldn't get blocked with stones again. He was a beautiful long haired gold tabby whose owners abandoned him and he found his way to our home. I do miss that beautiful loving cat, but we had no choice because he was in too much pain.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,535,929 times
Stan4 posted:

I am no animal extremist or PETA nut or whatever, but your insisting that human beings trump every other life form on this planet is a little disturbing.

I think people making or agreeing with this statement are a little disturbing. Of course human beings should trump every other life form. Human life is sacred. Animals are wonderful, but in no way compare with human beings. As far as your saying my children might well become "one of the bad people", my children might also become the ones who cure cancer or AIDS. No animal, no matter how wonderful or brilliant, can ever be capable of doing the amount of good man can accomplish.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 PM

96 posts, read 258,585 times
Reading these comments has been a real eye opener!! I consider myself a "dog person" and I love my dog but she's a dog!! I would never compare her to a child and find people who equate their pets to their children rather bizarre. The most I would spend at one time would be about a thousand dollars. Even if I was wealthy I can't imagine spending thousands and thousands on a pet. Think of all the human charities that could use that money! People who say all life forms are equal and have the same moral standing to me are nuts, so a human being is equal to a cockroach or a rat?? That is insane!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets