Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZ3861 View Post
Bridesburg is nicer Zip 19137. Queen village is not safe at all. Most of the hipster areas are Crime Ridden they are easy targets. In Bridesburg you dont need bars on your windows. If there is a suspicious person a few looks and they are outta there.
I would love to see those supporting statistics. Fact usually is far more convincing than one's own distorted opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 PM

36 posts, read 97,473 times
Philadelphia Police Department | Crime Statistics

Here you go future victim. No walking on fluff clouds in this city pal.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
I used the crime map covering the area from roughly South to Christian and Front to 8th. Over the last 30 days there have been:

0 homocides
0 rapes
6 robberies
1 assault
7 burglaries
27 thefts (mainly around South St)

These are the numbers generated using the Police Depts crime maps, and they're not too shabby for Philadelphia. I don't get where you're coming from RAZZ... I don't think you've ever actually been here, else you wouldn't make such ignorant comments and then post a link to an information source that sorta proves you wrong. Don't you think?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:26 PM

You think they are low numbers? Sorta up for much debate. But a little tid bit most of the thefts are robberies downgraded. The Police Dept manipultes crime reporting and down grades them. Ask any cop you know. So I would bet most of the thefts are robberies.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 AM

Like I said, most of those occur around South St. or on the peripheries. If I take a smaller slice of the neighborhood the numbers drop further. These crime stats are 2x or 3x higher in neighborhoods around North Philly.

I didn't zoom out, here is roughly Front to 7th and Bainbridge to Queen:

0 homicides
0 rapes
5 robberies
1 assault
4 burglaries
3 thefts

I'll admit it aint the burbs, but I recommend you walk around the neighborhood before you condemn it. Queen Village is really very very nice. There's a good street life. A lot of families actually feel its safe enough to raise kids here now. Go figure right?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,494 times
I'm not sure there is anything that would support Bridesburg being a nicer area than QV. First, QV has been one of the most stable areas of Phila for years (even when other sections declined). Property values in QV have remained stable and are a much higher than Bridesburg. Everytime I walk through QV, residents are out front of their property sweeping their walkways, etc, in an effort to keep their streets clean. Neighboring Bella Vista has streets that vary in cleanliness depending on street (still a desirable area, close to all the city has to offer) but QV is a solid choice. The major downside of QV is the parking... very limited and you pay a premium for a home with a garage. Now, I love Brideburg. My gr grandparents moved there when they first came to this country in the 20's, my grandparents had their home there and my mom and all her siblings were raised there. We just sold my grandmother's house ... and it was tough to cut our ties to the area. Bridesburg seems to be benefiting from the waterfront development, but if I had the choice I'd much rather live in QV.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Ok I was thinking you want to buy a house less then 200k. If you have more then you can get a nice place there. Looks nice but for the money down i would rather live in roxborough. But for 200k and under bridesburg and port richmond are blue light specials. Garage deck yard < 200k.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 AM

134 posts, read 475,233 times
Appreciate the responses; anyone know about the bar scene down in Port Richmond...id imagine its more of a local people bar scene but i might be wrong

Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZ3861 View Post
Philadelphia Police Department | Crime Statistics

Here you go future victim. No walking on fluff clouds in this city pal.

I've lived in Port Richmond for 6 years and I'm surrounded by many 10-20 year residents (or more). I have not heard or experienced personally any incidents other than the occasional car-break in. Leave the facts and real-life experience to the actual neighborhood residents. Your false perception and bias is tiresome.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM

I also probably should have mentioned, but most of those incidents are attributable to the projects on Washington Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia