Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,903 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

First time blogger on city data, and first time in Philadelphia as well! I am moving from New York for a new employment position around 30th St Station and was wondering if there is a free pass, or cheap transfer, from Market East to 30th St? I know there is a free transfer with an Amtrak ticket, but i am looking for the cheapest monthl pass for daily commuting to and from those two stations. I know about the Market Frankford line $83 monthly transit pass but i was hoping there was something cheaper! Any ideas?

I live around 11th and Spruce if that helps, but any insider info would be appreciated! Thanks, and hope to contribute more to the forum in the future.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
I'm pretty sure traveling from the Market East station to 30th Street is free. If not, buy tokens and take the El from 11th and Market to 30th and Market.

Tokens provide a discount off our base cash fare and cost $1.55 each.
Tokens may only be purchased in packs of 2 of two or more. Two cost $3.10; five are $7.75, and a ten pack costs $15.50. They are also available for bulk purchase.

There is no reason to by a transpass unless you are going to transfer to another bus.

In addition to the El you can take the 21 bus on Walnut Street to 30th Street and walk the two blocks to Market (coming back take the bus on Chestnut)

Old 03-26-2011, 09:43 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I'm pretty sure traveling from the Market East station to 30th Street is free.
This is true. Conductors don't start punching tickets on outbound trains until they are past the three CC stations because any of the three may be the departure point. Many locals take advantage of this "free" shuttle. Of course with a transpass you could ride a bus down 10th or 12th from Market to Spruce (or north on 11th and anywhere else for that matter)

Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM

I've noticed this, but there were a couple of times I came from my former work around suburban station and the conductor asked for my ticket. But 90% of the time no one does ... So should i carry tokens on me at all times? Or is there another safe bet in case I get caught without a ticket?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:20 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
For what it's worth (which may not be much), when I was commuting from 12th & Spruce to 34th & Walnut, I found it much faster to bike than to take any type of public transpo, and often times I would just walk, since it's a very pleasant walk.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverworks View Post
I've noticed this, but there were a couple of times I came from my former work around suburban station and the conductor asked for my ticket. But 90% of the time no one does ... So should i carry tokens on me at all times? Or is there another safe bet in case I get caught without a ticket?
You can't use tokens on the train. Suck it up and buy a few train tickets in case you need them. Just keep them in your wallet. It's cheaper than buying them on the train. If you are taking Amtrak, don't complain about spending a little extra occasionally.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 AM

Ok sounds good! All helpful info. I will probably just buy some tickets and keep them handy for that occasion.

Appreciate the help..

Old 03-27-2011, 06:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Just to be clear and I think it is what everyone is describing but this is for regional rail; basically all routes stop at Market East, Suburban, and 30th Street. It is rare for tickets to be checked in this zone and all stations are pretty busy and very close. This can basically be used as free transit in this area as most regional rail riders are traveling further out.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
i wouldnt recomend this alternative at all. regional rail trains run less often and are less reliable. on top of that theres a crew change at suburban which means the ride to 30th is much slower. just buy tokens at 11th st and walk or ride your bike when its nice enough.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
i wouldnt recomend this alternative at all. regional rail trains run less often and are less reliable. on top of that theres a crew change at suburban which means the ride to 30th is much slower. just buy tokens at 11th st and walk or ride your bike when its nice enough.

But for the subway you need tokens to enter, if you look at the Airport line schedule that always runs direct (basically starts at Temple one stop prior to ME)

It is a nine minute ride from ME to 30th street
http://septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/air.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia