Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2022, 09:06 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Back in early COVID times, I came across an article with video clips to Rebecca Rhynhart's response to some of Mayor Kenney's budget, and I thought she did a good job of succinctly and clearly explaining some of what made it such a poorly drafted budget. She seems unafraid to dig into the details to do the drudging work required to really lead a city. It (along with the person's analysis of Rhynhart who posted the link) is what got me thinking about Rhynhart as a potential next mayor.

I think moreso than Domb, she is someone that could forge some compromises between "centrists" and "progressives" in the city. It's hard for me to see a former real estate mogul appealing to a majority of Philadelphians. There is still far too big of a renter and progressive contingency here that will not trust someone like him. I'm not making a judgement about his ability to lead one way or another, just trying to be realistic. While I'm certainly not close-minded to him, and I am willing to believe he'd have some good ideas to boost business in Philadelphia, I think Rhynhart has less "baggage" (whether you believe his entrepreneurship is baggage or not) to make her a viable, forward-thinking candidate.

https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/r...t-alternative/
Fair enough. She's my 2nd choice. But I do like her...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 09:20 AM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Back in early COVID times, I came across an article with video clips to Rebecca Rhynhart's response to some of Mayor Kenney's budget, and I thought she did a good job of succinctly and clearly explaining some of what made it such a poorly drafted budget. She seems unafraid to dig into the details to do the drudging work required to really lead a city. It (along with the person's analysis of Rhynhart who posted the link) is what got me thinking about Rhynhart as a potential next mayor.

I think moreso than Domb, she is someone that could forge some compromises between "centrists" and "progressives" in the city. It's hard for me to see a former real estate mogul appealing to a majority of Philadelphians. There is still far too big of a renter and progressive contingency here that will not trust someone like him. I'm not making a judgement about his ability to lead one way or another, just trying to be realistic. While I'm certainly not close-minded to him, and I am willing to believe he'd have some good ideas to boost business in Philadelphia, I think Rhynhart has less "baggage" (whether you believe his entrepreneurship is baggage or not) to make her a viable, forward-thinking candidate.

https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/r...t-alternative/
Agree 100% won Rhynhart. So far, she's got my vote. She has most of the positives of Domb without the baggage. No one from the city council as Mayor, please!

Old 08-12-2022, 10:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Agree 100% won Rhynhart. So far, she's got my vote. She has most of the positives of Domb without the baggage. No one from the city council as Mayor, please!
What, you wouldn't love Darrell Clarke as Mayor? kenyatta Johnson?

Old 08-12-2022, 02:18 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Some general updates. The 23rd/Walnut proposal is awful. I can post pieces any articles if people need.

African American Museum in Philadelphia to relocate near Benjamin Franklin Parkway

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

Another CHOP Building Will Soon Rise on Schuylkill Avenue

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...uylkill-avenue

New high rise apartment tower is planned at 23rd and Walnut Street in Philadelphia

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220812.html

Old 08-12-2022, 07:21 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The 23rd/Walnut proposal is awful. I can post pieces any articles if people need.
That's such a disappointment! I really hope that's a conceptual rendering.

Can anyone figure out how neighborhoods like Fishtown, Northern Liberties or many parts of South Philly can get beautiful residential proposals, but arguably the most sought-after and architecturally-significant part of Center City gets a generic box that looks like it was designed in a matter of minutes?

For shame, developers.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:27 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
Wow, that is truly awful. NIMBYs, do your thing!

Old 08-13-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's such a disappointment! I really hope that's a conceptual rendering.

Can anyone figure out how neighborhoods like Fishtown, Northern Liberties or many parts of South Philly can get beautiful residential proposals, but arguably the most sought-after and architecturally-significant part of Center City gets a generic box that looks like it was designed in a matter of minutes?

For shame, developers.
Agreed.

This corner could command the highest rents in the city, there is no reason a thoughtfully designed tower would not make money. And where are the balconies? This developer is based in Texas, but the architect is based in Philadelphia. Sad that they actually think this crap may move forward.

Another disappointment nearby, the handsome proposal that should be constructed ASAP at 2204 Walnut is still held up by the Historical Commission...
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-walnut-street

And potentially worse, I think this plot is just outside of the Rittenhouse Historic District, therefore it may not require review? It would be sad for the city if this somehow got through...

Last edited by cpomp; 08-13-2022 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-13-2022, 10:58 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
BLTa (whose principals I'm very well acquainted with) is the Skidmore, Owings & Merrill of Philadelphia architects.

Occasionally, they produce a truly interesting building (I happen to think 1100 Market is more visually interesting than many might think; there are actually several different rhythms within its gridded design), but most of what comes out of that shop is pretty bland. This project is no exception.

I think, however, that this design could be rescued with different materials. Just as that tower going up in the 200 block of South 12th shouldn't be so orange, this one shouldn't be so white. Stone facing like what looks like will go up on that CasciaMoos-designed building that will replace 2204 Walnut would IMO go a long way towards making this proposed 23d and Walnut tower more attractive.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:33 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Allan Domb resigned from City Council an hour ago to run for Mayor. Good for him. Count me in as a fan who's willing to vote for him. Need to see who else announces they're running first.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:32 PM

Wow that is big!

Now what is the process to replace his seat?
I hope he wins now because I would hate to see him lose and his seat filled with another noisy do-nothing dingbat like Helen Gym or Jamie Gauthier.

Edit to add some article excerpts...

The two-term at-large Council member and real estate magnate stopped short of declaring his candidacy for Philadelphia’s top job, but he will be the first elected official in the city to resign from his current post to potentially run for mayor. The city charter requires city officeholders quit their jobs to seek another office.

In an interview with The Inquirer, he said he’s considering running because Philadelphia is a “city in crisis.” He said he hasn’t set a timeline for making a decision and will spend the next several weeks talking to residents and business owners.

“Our city needs a leader, a champion,” said Domb, a Democrat. “You have to love people. You have to want the job. We need a mayor who wants the job.”

In his resignation letter to Clarke Monday, Domb wrote that the city is “at a crossroads” and must enact “common sense and practical solutions to improve the lives of all Philadelphians, prioritizing public safety in a meaningful way.”

“Public safety, by far, is the No. 1 issue,” he said in an interview. “If people don’t feel safe in the city, they’re not going to stay here.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia