Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2022, 08:07 AM

1,697 posts, read 973,987 times

Advertisements

I can't stand the whole "Liberal Media" narrative.

They realized that if you called legitimate reporting fake, it would completely counter the message - no matter the message.

Trump learned this a long time ago. His ridiculous antics have been making headlines since the 80s. Diminishing the source to make the argument go away was something he did instinctively. Realizing that switching to the right (Trump was a liberal limousine democrat forever before 2016) and manipulating the uneducated was going to be the difference maker was Roger Stone's master stroke. And I bet it took some serious convincing to get the orange one to agree. These are not his people and finding a voice that spoke to them must have been comical in the beginning.

I digress. But calling the media "leftist" just because they're reporting something counter to your message drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 10:29 AM

473 posts, read 274,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

They realized that if you called legitimate reporting fake, it would completely counter the message - no matter the message.

Trump learned this a long time ago. His ridiculous antics have been making headlines since the 80s. Diminishing the source to make the argument go away was something he did instinctively. Realizing that switching to the right (Trump was a liberal limousine democrat forever before 2016) and manipulating the uneducated was going to be the difference maker was Roger Stone's master stroke. And I bet it took some serious convincing to get the orange one to agree. These are not his people and finding a voice that spoke to them must have been comical in the beginning.

I digress. But calling the media "leftist" just because they're reporting something counter to your message drives me nuts.
I always found it funny how it was the "leftist agenda" when the media reported on COVID deaths or anything Trump-related that wasn't positive, but if it's about crime in big cities or anything that does fit their agenda - the same sources are just fine.

Old 09-26-2022, 10:37 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I always found it funny how it was the "leftist agenda" when the media reported on COVID deaths or anything Trump-related that wasn't positive, but if it's about crime in big cities or anything that does fit their agenda - the same sources are just fine.
100%. Right-wingers (and I want to be very distinctive here; I'm referring to very dyed-in-the-wool hardline conservatives) have a pre-conceived narrative in their head, and they seek out a source that confirms their bias. This is why we have so, so many more Sean Hannitys and Laura Ingrahams than Rachel Maddows, but I digress.

Last edited by Duderino; 09-26-2022 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-26-2022, 11:59 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
100%. Right-wingers (and I want to be very distinctive here; I'm referring to very dyed-in-the-wool hardline conservatives) have a pre-conceived narrative in their head, and they seek out a source that confirms their bias. This is why we have so, so many more Sean Hannitys and Laura Ingrahams than Rachel Maddows, but I digress.

But again, when it comes to every day decisions at the city-level, none of that really matters all that much and it is important to separate those concerns when evaluating what is or isn't the correct course of action.

A bar fight, a heart attack, and 12 years of sobriety: Jimmy Harrity’s path to Philadelphia City Council

The corrupt machine rolls on, hand picking their friends for whatever position they want. John Street beating Sam Katz is something that has haunted Philly now for decades. Shariff Streets leadership isn't bringing successful change.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:55 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
While we are on the far-left vs. far-right debate. Even though both sides annoy me, below is a very real and sad reason why I can't align myself with the Republican party.

It is 2022 and the GOP still caters to hate and homophobia. Luckily there was a lot of backlash on the West Chester Borough Republican Committee FB page. And ironic, a few days later the stupid committee announced a meet n' greet with Doug Mastriano... So gays and drag queens are bad, but Doug M is good...

Here's why West Chester's OutFest was canceled

https://6abc.com/west-chester-pa-out...ncil/12245300/

Old 09-26-2022, 03:03 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
But again, when it comes to every day decisions at the city-level, none of that really matters all that much and it is important to separate those concerns when evaluating what is or isn't the correct course of action.
That's a fair point. Here's my take: I don't think broad national policy or ideological debates are entirely exclusive from local politics, especially in a large city like Philadelphia. Big cities honestly need to be in the "zeitgeist," especially if they want to be nationally or globally relevant.

But it's a push and pull. At the very least, City Councilors should be most focused on tackling local issues with solutions that make the most sense from a local perspective, because they're not US Senators, or even reps that report to Harrisburg. Nitty gritty quality-of-life issues should always take precedence.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:55 PM

463 posts, read 206,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

Rhetoric is definitely part of the dialogue, but out of six major conglomerates that own media and news in the US, five of them are either liberal leaning or outright liberal in ownership and ideals. That includes Comcast, Disney, Viacom, Time Warner, and CBS. Some are of the organizations owned by those conglomerates are worse than others, but that is a staggering imbalance.

News Corp, which owns Fox News, The Post, and Wall Street Journal is the only conglomerate that truly leans right. And Fox News is an abomination, which gives it a ton of criticism. But the scales are very tilted in favor of liberal institutions.

And to note, all News organizations are supposed to be unbiased, but that is not what is happening today.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:01 PM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post

And to note, all News organizations are supposed to be unbiased, but that is not what is happening today.
Actually, that only applied to broadcast TV and radio stations under a long-discarded FCC rule called the Fairness Doctrine.

Nothing in our laws, Constitution or even history requires that non-broadcast news media be unbiased. At the time the Constitution was being drafted, most American newspapers were far more partisan than they are now, and we had a partisan press up until the late 19th century, when the rise of mass media (cheap, advertiser-supported newspapers primarily) led publishers and the profession in general to develop the notion of "objectivity" in news reporting.

But even then, newspapers still ran editorials that espoused particular points of view.

And today, the biases show more in which stories are emphasized and which are de-emphasized than in how the stories themselves are written or reported. The Wall Street Journal is famous for the dissonance between the reporting in its news pages and the stance of its editorial and Op-Ed pages.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:37 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Amazon built a plant last year in Southwest Philadelphia. When will it open?

Quote:
It hasn’t opened yet, nearly a year after major construction was completed. Weeds are crawling up the back fences, and the 300 to 500 jobs, starting at $15 an hour, that were promised in a neighborhood that needs them have yet to materialize.
“Amazon made promises. They have not followed through,” said State Sen. Anthony Hardy Williams (D., Philadelphia), who championed the project in early 2021.

The Amazon project displaced a SEPTA plan for the 29-acre property, which stretches from 67th Street to 70th between store-lined Elmwood Avenue and the busy Northeast Corridor rail tracks.

He added the lack of information, even to leaders who faced criticism for supporting the company, “is the worst thing. It is really, really, really insulting. I can tell you that they have hit a big boulder here in Philadelphia.”
Amazon is really up there in my most hated American companies. A corporation that has helped killed local business, clogged streets with delivery, and set profits elsewhere.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:08 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Per latest CDR... 476' foot tower coming to 36th & Chestnut. I had no clue this was even proposed!

https://www.phila.gov/media/20220927...1-2022-CDR.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia