Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 02:38 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
They really should just level the gallery and put a couple of super talls there with the regional rail access. If they want a suburban mall in CC then they should rebuild it across the street at CC standards - street facing entrances and windows etc. Any other money thrown at it is pretty much as waste.
I would have absolutely no problem with this, especially if they had ground floor retail. The skyline would look AMAZING with buildings taller than William Penn from City Hall to 7th or 6th Street, with pockets of high rise buildings north of the Ben Franklin Bridge on Columbus Boulevard and then Delaware Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 03:09 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I would have absolutely no problem with this, especially if they had ground floor retail. The skyline would look AMAZING with buildings taller than William Penn from City Hall to 7th or 6th Street, with pockets of high rise buildings north of the Ben Franklin Bridge on Columbus Boulevard and then Delaware Avenue.
EXACTLY...When I said that about Columbus Blvd. Too and suggested a Amusement Pier could work by one smaller one north the Ben Franklin Bridge. IT WAS NOT SEEN POSITIVELY. I was a outsider to DARE use Chicago's Navy Pier as a example or Shore of High-Rises could also eventually line Columbus Blvd. This was in a Thread about What Philly could do for more Tourist and development.

Then I found out Donald Trump had one planned one there in 2008. The design ready to go? Then the CRASH had him Cancel it. Too bad. It would if a success been a catalyst for more.

Seems SO DIFFICULT for all these plans here to come to frustration?

PlanPhilly | Low-down on dashed high-rise hopes

Here it shows what Trumps 40 story Riverfront building would have looked like. But seems plans for the sight are re-awaked.... But for townhouses possibly. I rather see something BIG like was originally.

New owners see ill-fated Trump Tower Phila. plan as template to develop site - philly-archives

Old 06-01-2015, 09:27 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
EXACTLY...When I said that about Columbus Blvd. Too and suggested a Amusement Pier could work by one smaller one north the Ben Franklin Bridge. IT WAS NOT SEEN POSITIVELY. I was a outsider to DARE use Chicago's Navy Pier as a example or Shore of High-Rises could also eventually line Columbus Blvd. This was in a Thread about What Philly could do for more Tourist and development.

Then I found out Donald Trump had one planned one there in 2008. The design ready to go? Then the CRASH had him Cancel it. Too bad. It would if a success been a catalyst for more.

Here it shows what Trumps 40 story Riverfront building would have looked like. But seems plans for the sight are re-awaked.... But for townhouses possibly. I rather see something BIG like was originally.

New owners see ill-fated Trump Tower Phila. plan as template to develop site - philly-archives
Honestly a majority of these projects would have never come to fruition even if the economy didnt crash. Too many neighborhood associations and NIMBYs. They probably prevent more projects than any other force. It is very hard to get support for large scale projects in Philly if they are being built either in CC business district or university city.

The two most notable highrises that I am sad didn't come true that were actually in the planning stages were the American Commerce Center (which is actually where Comcast 2 is being built, so not a total loss. And Mandeville Place. ACC could not find a major tenant, and Mandeville condos got scrapped during the recession. But there are almost a dozen large condo/apt projects in the works that will make up for the loss.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

I honestly don't get why. I've never been to Chicago before (I want to visit soon though), but I've seen pictures of the Navy Pier. It looks AWESOME! I wish there was something like that around Penn's Landing. I could see high rises going up in Northern Liberties, specifically around Columbus Boulevard and Spring Garden Street. In my opinion, getting low density townhouses is a loss compared to what was proposed at that site (Trump Tower).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Honestly a majority of these projects would have never come to fruition even if the economy didnt crash. Too many neighborhood associations and NIMBYs. They probably prevent more projects than any other force. It is very hard to get support for large scale projects in Philly if they are being built either in CC business district or university city.

The two most notable highrises that I am sad didn't come true that were actually in the planning stages were the American Commerce Center (which is actually where Comcast 2 is being built, so not a total loss. And Mandeville Place. ACC could not find a major tenant, and Mandeville condos got scrapped during the recession. But there are almost a dozen large condo/apt projects in the works that will make up for the loss.
Another one that I might add is Bridgeman's View. I really think that would have gotten the ball rolling in terms of getting structures taller than William Penn to be built east of Broad Street. Also, though I love CITC, it would have been amazing to have the ACC on 19th and Arch! Maybe if the ACC came to fruition, maybe the CITC could have been constructed at 8th and Market? How cool would it be to have supertalls east and west of Broad?!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't get why. I've never been to Chicago before (I want to visit soon though), but I've seen pictures of the Navy Pier. It looks AWESOME! I wish there was something like that around Penn's Landing. I could see high rises going up in Northern Liberties, specifically around Columbus Boulevard and Spring Garden Street. In my opinion, getting low density townhouses is a loss compared to what was proposed at that site (Trump Tower).

Another one that I might add is Bridgeman's View. I really think that would have gotten the ball rolling in terms of getting structures taller than William Penn to be built east of Broad Street. Also, though I love CITC, it would have been amazing to have the ACC on 19th and Arch! Maybe if the ACC came to fruition, maybe the CITC could have been constructed at 8th and Market? How cool would it be to have supertalls east and west of Broad?!
I prefer the design of ACC over CITC. But I don't think Comcast would go for that location. They're whole plan to is to have a cohesive urban campus. Almost like a campus of high rises. It is likely we will see another one at 19th and Arch within the next 5-8 years after the CITC is further along.

I would love to see that hole at 8th and Market turn into a shiny new 1000ft tall headquarters to a fortune 500 company, maybe by the time I am 70...

There wont be supertalls, but 500 Walnut and the proposed apartment tower in Washington Square will both be around the 400ft mark, which is a start.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post

I am glad that the Gallery might have those outlets people are craving for.
But what alot of people are tired of is how developers, in this case PREIT, think of Philly as a second class city that only deserve outlets (again nothing wrong with outlets).
We have talked about this before: part of PREIT's problem is that its board has an average age of about 60!

Of course that is not untypical for boards but it also means they don't have any insight into what people your age want. The other "problem" is there is at least one Phila. native on the board: RoseMarie Greco, who started, afaik, in banking when we have big local banks here. Too many natives are "stuck", especially older ones, with a glass-half-empty mentality. It's Negadelphianism. It's a kind of self-loathing about the city that we can't or shouldn't strive for the very best here. I'm not accusing her of it, in particular, but boards like this need new blood and/or different blood.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
On one of my lunchtime walks it looks like ground is officially broken at 15th and Chestnut (W hotel site). Backhoes moving dirt around and there is a pit about 3 ft deep on most of the site now.
Here we go with this project. They moved dirt around for a month. Nothing more. And now there is a 3" foot hole. Wow(sarcasm).

Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I think it would be fabulous. They wouldn't have to be super talls.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Here we go with this project. They moved dirt around for a month. Nothing more. And now there is a 3" foot hole. Wow(sarcasm).
Its progress

Old 06-02-2015, 07:16 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,878,218 times
Looks like the Divine Lorraine is getting more likely to happen:

$3.5 million state grant for redeveloping Divine Lorraine - Philadelphia Business Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia