Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 07:29 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I prefer the design of ACC over CITC. But I don't think Comcast would go for that location. They're whole plan to is to have a cohesive urban campus. Almost like a campus of high rises. It is likely we will see another one at 19th and Arch within the next 5-8 years after the CITC is further along.

I would love to see that hole at 8th and Market turn into a shiny new 1000ft tall headquarters to a fortune 500 company, maybe by the time I am 70...

There wont be supertalls, but 500 Walnut and the proposed apartment tower in Washington Square will both be around the 400ft mark, which is a start.
The Goldenberg Group, which continues to do absolutely nothing with 8th and Market, is almost behaving like a new Rappaport.

What proposed apt tower in Washington Sq.? Haven't heard of that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:35 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The Goldenberg Group, which continues to do absolutely nothing with 8th and Market, is almost behaving like a new Rappaport.

What proposed apt tower in Washington Sq.? Haven't heard of that one.
Developers plan 32-story apartment building in Washington Square - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 06-02-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Looks like the Divine Lorraine is getting more likely to happen:

$3.5 million state grant for redeveloping Divine Lorraine - Philadelphia Business Journal
How many times have there been these announcements?!

But I hope THIS TIME it will happen. Why? Because it is THE major embarassment in Francisville/Poplar now.
The re-development of Fairmount Ave is almost complete from Broad to Pennsylvania Ave. New construction on Fairmount at 18th. Rehabbed construction also at 18th and 17th is coming along.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:

But I hope THIS TIME it will happen. Why? Because it is THE major embarassment in Francisville/Poplar now.
The re-development of Fairmount Ave is almost complete from Broad to Pennsylvania Ave. New construction on Fairmount at 18th. Rehabbed construction also at 18th and 17th is coming along.
The funding has taken a long time to come together, but it sounds like the needed money is accounted for now. When I heard the announcement on the radio this morning, it sounded like they only need some permits to start renovations. I'm sure there's some more to it than that, but it seems close.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The funding has taken a long time to come together, but it sounds like the needed money is accounted for now. When I heard the announcement on the radio this morning, it sounded like they only need some permits to start renovations. I'm sure there's some more to it than that, but it seems close.
To be fair there was that "white night" story of some New York developer driving by it and, right away, was willing to give Blumenthal $$$$ to jump start the project. Right after that there was some major graffiti removal. But soon afterward that stopped... The NY developer probably bailed.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:28 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,139 times
Quote:
Looks like the Divine Lorraine is getting more likely to happen:

$3.5 million state grant for redeveloping Divine Lorraine - Philadelphia Business Journal
Not being a naysayer, I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes.
Correct me if I am wrong, there has been so many times that there is "this" developer or "that" developer will fix the bldg. But it never happened.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:29 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,139 times
Quote:

AGREE! I just said that! you took the words out off my mouth.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:58 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,000 times
Quote:

If 1300 Fairmount actually happens, along with the restoration of the Divine Lorraine, then that area will get a major boost in retail, density, and quality of life. I'm rooting for Fairmount Ave east of Broad!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:53 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,000 times
Two VERY interesting articles filled with possibilities about the future of Center City and University City, respectively!

Liberty Property Trust buys property at 19th and Arch streets. - Philadelphia Business Journal

University City Science Center teams up with Wexford Science + Technology, a BioMed Realty company. - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 06-03-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Not being a naysayer, I will believe it when I see it with my own eyes.
Correct me if I am wrong, there has been so many times that there is "this" developer or "that" developer will fix the bldg. But it never happened.
It's LONG story going back about 10 years. Blumenthal "lost" ownership of it or something like that in about 2005/ 2006. I actually met one person involved in that because he bought my Mom's house wrt an estate sale. They started the internal rehab and had started to gut things like old bathroom fixtures. I know about that too because my sister picked up an old medicine cabinet that she is now using!

One also has to factor in the collapsing economy in 2008/2009 which more than likely completely stalled the project as money "disappeared".

To Blumenthal credit he also redid the old AAA building at 21st and Market into a residence so I still have faith in him. In any case he regained control/ownership of the DL. He played around with making it entirely a residence and then the idea of making it a hotel again. We will see what happens. There have been several renderings along the way of course. You may be able to find them in some archive on philly.curbed.com.

There are other pieces to it all in that I think he wants to redo/build on the land behind the DL along Ridge Ave.

I actually remember when it really was the Divine Lorraine Hotel when Father Divine owned it. He built it, afaik. What's left of his group still owns the Disston mansion in N. Philly on, I think, N. 17th St. It's a fabulous Victorian masterpiece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia