Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times

Advertisements

https://www2.philly.com/philly/busin...-20181011.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
WCAU (Channel 10) to move operations to Comcast Technology Center: In Bala Cynwyd since.

I can imagine it was becoming a bit of a sticky point for Comcast to have the local NBC affiliate located on a leafy corner overlooking the city’s border.
Are you aware that network affiliations for channels 10 and 3 switched back in 80s? That is 10 used to be CBS and 3 was NBC.

In any case moving WCAU back into city, after 60 or so years of being in Bala, is fabulous news.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yet another reason why extending the BSL to the Navy Yard makes sense.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Skyscraper, not strip mall, now planned on North Broad Street, courtesy of Trump tax break

Interesting read.

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/10/15...ory-smokestack

Disappointed this will be replaced by townhouses, definitely not the best and highest use for the site.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:06 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
I like the part about it being Blumenfeld's life mission to revitalize North Broad. If he builds this thing and everything else that is already built is successful, he deserves a statue. The new Wawa, being built diagonally across the street, is well underway.

The parking lot being proposed for the Mural Arts Tower use to have a really amazing temple on it called the Lulu Temple. It was Arabic style. I would like to see the brick facade on the tall building across the street redone. The whole building is painted white and ugly as hell.

Quote:

Disappointed this will be replaced by townhouses, definitely not the best and highest use for the site.
Would have been interesting to see what they could have done with the chocolate factory, but its been demo'd now for months. I think townhouses are a good idea though. This is a very desirably location that is not as nice as it should be. Tearing a huge blighted factory and replacing it with a ton of homes that will be bought and populated by young families is a big improvement. Washington Ave. has endless redevelopment possibilities.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Skyscraper, not strip mall, now planned on North Broad Street, courtesy of Trump tax break

Interesting read.

Oh come on. Not everything needs to be a tower. Lol. Be happy that an old choc factory will be something else instead of an abandoned hulk.

That Broad and Spring Garden intersection is going to be phenomenal. This announcement, along with the retail coming to the Tower(State Bldg), and the Parkway project are all transformative. Plus the project next to the Divine Lorraine at
Broad and Ridge. Reminder, Eric B was behind the Divine Lorraine and the Met.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I like the part about it being Blumenfeld's life mission to revitalize North Broad. If he builds this thing and everything else that is already built is successful, he deserves a statue. The new Wawa, being built diagonally across the street, is well underway.

The parking lot being proposed for the Mural Arts Tower use to have a really amazing temple on it called the Lulu Temple. It was Arabic style. I would like to see the brick facade on the tall building across the street redone. The whole building is painted white and ugly as hell.

Would have been interesting to see what they could have done with the chocolate factory, but its been demo'd now for months. I think townhouses are a good idea though. This is a very desirably location that is not as nice as it should be. Tearing a huge blighted factory and replacing it with a ton of homes that will be bought and populated by young families is a big improvement. Washington Ave. has endless redevelopment possibilities.
The white building, se corner, you are referring to at Broad/Spring Garden was converted to a condo a few years ago. But, yes, I agree with you. Also I'm not crazy about the Wawa because of the kids around, from all the schools plus CCP, who already linger/loiter way too long. It will be worse.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:30 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,509 times
Quote:

I'll take anything there. That old factory is a huge eye sore among many on that end of Washington Ave.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Oh come on. Not everything needs to be a tower. Lol. Be happy that an old choc factory will be something else instead of an abandoned hulk.

That Broad and Spring Garden intersection is going to be phenomenal. This announcement, along with the retail coming to the Tower(State Bldg), and the Parkway project are all transformative. Plus the project next to the Divine Lorraine at
Broad and Ridge. Reminder, Eric B was behind the Divine Lorraine and the Met.
Not a tower, but something along the lines 600 S 24th St would have been nice, but with a rustic homage to the corridor.

I view townhouses (generally) as a cheap alternative to flipping a property. 2000 Lombard St could have been something better, and that lot at Broad and Fitzwater is being replaced by 10 townhomes, what a huge waste. That should be zoned for only mixed use high density development.

I think townhomes are ideal for infill... for example if you have a street of 3 story rowhomes and two missing in the block, perfect infill. Or the new townhomes on Van Pelt St off of Walnut is perfect and fits nicely with the surroundings, but a huge blank slate property can do better than townhouses. There are several transformative projects in the works, but still a bunch where I scratch my head (the worst offender at the moment is that massive box at 5th and Race St).

But yes, I am still happy to see a long blighted plot get redeveloped and new energy moving to that stretch of Washington Ave. And the plus of Washington Ave is the number of future potential projects.

Off topic, but I will be on Temples campus for work next week, haven't been there in 5 years, excited to see how its changed.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:16 AM

Not quite Philadelphia news, but very applicable statewide... Any thoughts or opinions on how to address the State University system? Specifically Cheyney. This list doesn't include Temple or Penn State since they are state-related, not funded.

Cheyney enrollment plummets amid broader decline at Pa. state universities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia