Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,347,374 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently in college but am considering a move to Philadelphia (among other cities) once I graduate. I figured why not start the research now and hear what current (or past) residents think of the city. I am moving from Pittsburgh and have been to Philly several times, but not nearly long enough to get a good enough feel for the city. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:07 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,400,404 times
Large city with a smaller-town feel; more of a sense of community and hometown spirit than larger cities like NY or LA

Passionate sports fans

All of the big-city amenities and still close to NY and Wash. DC

Two hours or less to the beach

Four seasons; weather is more moderate than citiies like Miami, Boston, Chicago, etc.

Huge metropolitan area that includes everything from charming historic towns to suburban bedroom communities to hip/young towns

Many other pro's but these are the major ones for me, a hometown girl who's moved away and keeps coming back to Philly!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Avalon08 pretty much covered all the major pluses. I guess I'm stuck with some of the minuses although I don't list them to be discouraging but rather to be realistic. I admittedly know little about Pittsburgh, but...

I am certain that the cost of living will be higher.

There may be relatively more job opportunities here...but there will be more people here competing for them, which may make it a wash, depending on your career choice.

For twentysomethings wanting to enjoy "life in the big city", your choices are mostly within a four-five miles radius from City Hall. Heading due north/northeast, you will find yourself in some challenging neighborhoods until you get closer to the NW and NE edges.

On a similar note, you may find yourself making a "reverse commute" from the city neighborhood you prefer to the suburban office park where the preponderance of jobs are. (While Philadelphia's mass transit system is more extensive - and expensive - than Pittsburgh's, it's geared towards commuters into the city...so you may find yourself driving.)

The closest thing to a suburban young professional outpost would be Conshohocken (not bad if commuting to King of Prussia, Plymouth Meeting or Blue Bell) or West Chester (influenced by the namesake university). In the city, Manayunk is popular with younger rever$e commuter$ wanting some urban flavor.

Like in many larger cities, the school system is challenged, to say the least. Should you look ahead to raising a family in the city, you will have to be proactive.

That's all I got.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-03-2011 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-01-2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks Tone, that does answer a lot of my questions. I like Pittsburgh and everything but it is a little small for my taste so I was thinking that Philadelphia would be one the the cities more similar to Pittsburgh (not a mirror image or anything I know) with a substantially larger population. I also like the fact that the city is close enough to the coast that one can drive there within an hour or two and the Poconos are about the same distance. I know that the COL is higher, but I imagine that the higher pay would make it break even in a way. I plan on visiting the city more in the future and maybe will even attempt to get a summer internship there to get a more realistic view of what life is like. Thanks again to both of you for your answers

Old 10-01-2011, 10:45 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
I know no one like the truth but Philly is pretty crime ridden.. You have to watch where you go.. The murder rate is very high for a city if its size. If you compare Pittsburgh, you will find Philadelphia is much more unsafe, AND much more dirtier.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:28 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Theyre both great cities, but Philadelphia would obviously have more crime, its a much larger city.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:52 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I know no one like the truth but Philly is pretty crime ridden.. You have to watch where you go.. The murder rate is very high for a city if its size. If you compare Pittsburgh, you will find Philadelphia is much more unsafe, AND much more dirtier.
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh's murder rates from 2010 were actually very similar (19.6 vs 17.6 per 100,000). But hey, don't let pesky facts get in the way of your "truth".

And by the way, the traffic death rate in the state of PA 1s 12.6 per 100,000... so you better watch where you drive!

Old 10-01-2011, 03:59 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Theyre both great cities, but Philadelphia would obviously have more crime, its a much larger city.

City size actually has very little to do with city crime rates.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Yes, unfortunately that is one of the downsides of Philly, has more crime than Pittsburgh. I will have to say that in the crime department though, that Philly is in deed safer than cities such as Cleveland and Detroit. Question for residents, is the crime contained to certain areas (for the most part obviously, and example would be the Bronx in NYC being bad while most of Manhattan is relatively safe) or is it more widespread like Detroit? I also know that traffic will be a PITA given my current experience with PennDot haha but at least SEPTA isn't falling apart like Pittsburgh's transit is. Thanks again for your imput,
Mike

Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Philadelphia, PA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Philadelphia - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia