Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 16,320 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

Potential opportunity to move to Philly for a job and looking to see if you guys could give me some insight.

Young professional in high-travel position so I need to be somewhere with reasonable (30 minutes or less) access to the airport

Office is in Newtown Square but I would not be required to go to it very often

Rent can be up to $1500 ... Prefer less.
Space isn't an issue... in the 600 square feet area studio is fine.

Any thoughts on areas?

I looked downtown/city center area, manayunk, and conshohocken. Trying to figure out if I missed anything.

I visited this past week and I really enjoyed the area around Washington park downtown... aka... Quite and peaceful but with options nearby for a more crazy night.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
area around washington sq is nice. given your price range and size requirements, go for center city

Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
area around washington sq is nice. given your price range and size requirements, go for center city

thanks for the suggestion. The only major thing I have is that I *require* covered/secure parking and that seems to be something hard to find in the downtown areas.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraskatransplant View Post
thanks for the suggestion. The only major thing I have is that I *require* covered/secure parking and that seems to be something hard to find in the downtown areas.
Its not hard to find..you just pay extra. You should be able to fit a place for you and your car in cc...albeit a small one.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM

283 posts, read 607,137 times
Center City will give you access to the airport on the R1 from Market East and Suburban Station. It's a 30 minute ride. Also, you can catch a cab to the airport for a flat $28.50 from anywhere in Center City. You may want to seriously consider selling your car. Rent a car or use Zipcar when you need to go to the office. You will experience sticker shock to keep your car -- about $300/month in parking and potentially $3000 a year to insure. If you're travelling a lot and not going to be at your home office, I'd rather pocket or put the extra money towards a better location. Just my two cents. But maybe you're getting an awesome promotion and can swing it. Best of luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM

$3k?! I paid $1500 (which is still a lot) just a few short years ago...usually they cut you a break when you aren't using your car to get to work (when you're most likely to get in an accident)

Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
Center City will give you access to the airport on the R1 from Market East and Suburban Station. It's a 30 minute ride. Also, you can catch a cab to the airport for a flat $28.50 from anywhere in Center City. You may want to seriously consider selling your car. Rent a car or use Zipcar when you need to go to the office. You will experience sticker shock to keep your car -- about $300/month in parking and potentially $3000 a year to insure. If you're travelling a lot and not going to be at your home office, I'd rather pocket or put the extra money towards a better location. Just my two cents. But maybe you're getting an awesome promotion and can swing it. Best of luck!
Seriously? I knew that it would be more expensive for insurance and garage... I pay less than $1,100 a year for insurance and $50 a month for garage right now...

That's crazy.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
$3k?! I paid $1500 (which is still a lot) just a few short years ago...usually they cut you a break when you aren't using your car to get to work (when you're most likely to get in an accident)
Okay, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks that is grossly exaggerated.

I'm a no accident/no claim/no tickets driver with 6 years at the same insurance provider.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM

283 posts, read 607,137 times
It's the zip codes, coverage level, and radius that will drive the prices. Tarp may be closer to average, but I have no idea what car he drives, how far he drives it, what zip code he lived in, etc. I'd get a quote with your provider for coverage you're comfortable with and go from there.

Bottom line you will most likely pay more for both insurance and parking. If you want covered parking, I assume you want collision coverage on your insurance, etc.

If you live downtown, you will not be driving much. Downtown Philly is one of the few places in the nation where you can live completely car-free. You will be shocked at how much is accessible without ever getting into your car.

I don't think I overexaggerated parking. You will pay at least a few hundred per month for parking; maybe more if you park right in Center City. My dad paid $287 a month for parking at 12th and Filbert a few years back.

If I was travelling all the time, I wouldn't want the extra expense, but you may have different value judgments than I do. Just make sure that you do your homework and consult with actual insurance providers, actual garages, etc. and not just over-exaggeraters like me on city-data. :-)

Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM

Sorry Tom, didn't want to make it sound like I didn't appreciate the advice.

I would be incredibly alarmed if my insurance went up 250% though...

Getting rid of the car is an option... The only issue I see with that is the first month or two I will actually need regular access to the office so renting a car (whether through traditional outlets or ZipCar) would get really expensive quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia