Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Just to clarify for all. I bought my place for 275 a few years back and, according to all comps, I could easily sell for 315 (easily) and rent for about 500 more than my mortgage. I plan on paying the house off in four or five years at which time I will use it as a rental property. I am located in Northern section of Pennsport, FYI (about 3 blocks South of Washington Ave). For Frank, and others who don't know the city of Philadelphia at all, Washington Avenue is a main artery that separates Pennsport from Queen Village.

Frank, when your Jersey house gets foreclosed on, I'll give you a good deal on rent.
gee thanks! Don't worry we are paying off our home in 15 years We are doing fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
) incorrect. Second, the core of the city (NOT THE NORTHEAST) is booming -- aboslutely taking off in all respects. And third, back to Frank... Franky, you are one bitter little guy. Relax buddy, you'll be happier in the end.
Bitter I am not, if you knew me and the life we have you would agree Passionate, yes, bitter, no. How could I be? I live in a clean, safe, beautiful area.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 PM

159 posts, read 317,140 times
My favorite parts of Philly usually are in the "satellite 'hoods" around Center City. University City and West Philly(Cedar Park, Spruce/Walnut Hill, Clark Park) are great and a quick subway ride to Center City. My stomping ground tends to be between all of gentrified South Philly up to Fishtown I would live in any of the neighborhoods between those two points as well as UC/West Philly, Fairmount/Art Musuem - there's a great and cohesive flow between them all.
CC is great and I don't tire of it at all, but for half the cost I can live in a lively interesting and walkable neighborhood nestled right up next to Center City and live in a bigger house, have a(teeny)yard and a roof deck with an awesome awesome view of the city - and be in CC in ten minutes on foot.

Chestnut Hill, Manayunk, West Mt. Airy are all great too, and I would live there, but I really love CC's neighbors the most and I can afford them.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 PM

58 posts, read 146,559 times
Obvious thought here: it's not either/or whether Philadelphia life is better these days. Clearly a lot of
petit-bourgeois things are better, but still, there is something sad about the demise of the old ways.
It's nice to have more ethnic resturaunts but it was nice when women felt safe walking around working-class
neighborhoods at 3 and 4 in the morning.
Buying fruit from a horse drawn wagon and the clang of the trolley are not ancient memories.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolberg View Post
Obvious thought here: it's not either/or whether Philadelphia life is better these days. Clearly a lot of
petit-bourgeois things are better, but still, there is something sad about the demise of the old ways.
It's nice to have more ethnic resturaunts but it was nice when women felt safe walking around working-class
neighborhoods at 3 and 4 in the morning.
Buying fruit from a horse drawn wagon and the clang of the trolley are not ancient memories.

Women Walking around at 3 & 4 O'clock in the morning???? Why would any woman be out walking at that time of the night? You remember those days? Is it like that ANYWHERE in the US?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 AM

58 posts, read 146,559 times
My family lived across the street from a 24 hr. store. Women (and men) who lived blocks away would walk over. There were women from the closed taprooms (bars), and women on break from the graveyard shift at their job four streets over.
Yugoslav women who cleaned offices in Center City would ride the el' back in the wee hours of the morning and stop in the store on their long walk from the station. Now the el' doesn't run all night and Yugoslavia is gone.

Last edited by Stolberg; 10-27-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia