Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 07:53 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondvm2015 View Post
Also, Dr Martens is relocating to 1704 Walnut St.
Yes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 07:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
I'm curious if there are still plans to put an Equinox at the bottom of The Laurel when it opens?

Old 08-18-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I'm curious if there are still plans to put an Equinox at the bottom of The Laurel when it opens?
I answered my own question with a Google search. https://6abc.com/laurel-rittenhouse-...xury/10657934/

It's nice to see that Philadelphia is getting a nice addition to the luxury gym market. I wonder how many people they'll poach from City Fitness.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:11 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
Walnut is gonna ramp up fast.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:11 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Great news about Philadelphia Runner and Doc Martens. Any changes to their former site? (arson buildings).

And already sort of answered, but yes, Equinox is a go according to intel from an acquaintance with the company. They plan to enter the Philadelphia and Denver markets in 2022.

Glad they are arriving, but still frustrating that they ignored the Philadelphia market for so long. Lifetime swooped took over the affluent suburbs. I haven't heard plans of additional Equinox locations beyond Rittenhouse.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Great news about Philadelphia Runner and Doc Martens. Any changes to their former site? (arson buildings).

And already sort of answered, but yes, Equinox is a go according to intel from an acquaintance with the company. They plan to enter the Philadelphia and Denver markets in 2022.

Glad they are arriving, but still frustrating that they ignored the Philadelphia market for so long. Lifetime swooped took over the affluent suburbs. I haven't heard plans of additional Equinox locations beyond Rittenhouse.
The issue I see Equinox having in Philadelphia is only having one location. Even at the expensive starting price point (usually $185/month for one location), is that it'll get crowded very fast. The beauty of New York (or any other major city for that matter) is you have a lot of different locations, so it spreads out the members. Of the 4-5 Equinoxes I frequent on a regular basis here, only the Columbus Circle location gets overly crowded during rush. The rest aren't bad at all, regardless of what time you go.

Hopefully the popularity will spur them to open multiple locations in Philly and give City Fitness a run for its money. Maybe add a second location in Society Hill/Old City area, and maybe another in University City.

The couple times I went to Sporting At The Bellevue, I was pretty lacking and dated for a "luxury gym".

Old 08-18-2021, 10:01 AM

I also just now realized that Sporting Bellevue is completely revamping their space. I wonder if it's because Equinox is coming to town?

Old 08-18-2021, 10:21 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,315,098 times
City Fitness is garbage. Im not sure whey they are talked about so much in a positive light.

Their location in Northern Liberties is nothing to talk about, just as is their South St. location which is very dingy. The free weight section is embarrassingly small with 7 foot ceilings on South St.

Fishtown location is nice, but extremely small, its honestly kind of a joke.

The owners of the Bellvue Gym are a little concerned some of their membership is going to be poached from Equinox. I do not see Equinox opening another location in the city unless it was one of the new projects in Northern Liberties or Old City with the new park cap with Penn's Landing.

Lifetime fitness is very nice and IMHO better than Equinox. Larger facilities, just as premium while being a little less expensive and usually they have pools at all locations or coworker space.

The Serena & Lilly location will probably open at Suburban Square in Ardmore or in Wayne. It serves the Main Line market very well and yes, as another commentator posted most of their stores are not located in malls...

Although King of Prussia is kind of a furniture behemoth so I would not be shocked if it located there. No way is it coming to Center City.

It is nice to hear about Doc Martens and Philadelphia runner. The 1500 and 1600 blocks are so bare. Its actually embarrassing. Now that Banana Republic, Gap, Ralph Lauren, Tiffanys (who moved), that hat store, Aramini Exchange and Lacoste have all closed its literally bare bones.

I think Scotch & Soda is going to close its Walnut location, and why they are opening at KOP.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:07 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
The issue I see Equinox having in Philadelphia is only having one location. Even at the expensive starting price point (usually $185/month for one location), is that it'll get crowded very fast. The beauty of New York (or any other major city for that matter) is you have a lot of different locations, so it spreads out the members. Of the 4-5 Equinoxes I frequent on a regular basis here, only the Columbus Circle location gets overly crowded during rush. The rest aren't bad at all, regardless of what time you go.

Hopefully the popularity will spur them to open multiple locations in Philly and give City Fitness a run for its money. Maybe add a second location in Society Hill/Old City area, and maybe another in University City.

The couple times I went to Sporting At The Bellevue, I was pretty lacking and dated for a "luxury gym".
Some cities only have 1 or 2 locations though - Dallas, Detroit, Austin. But I agree, additional locations would be ideal. At least 1 more in the city and certainly 1 on The Main Line as a start. Still amazes me how Detroit suburbs made the cut before one of the wealthiest suburban enclaves in North America (The Main Line)... I am glad Lifetime swooped in full force with 4 suburban Philadelphia locations.

Old 08-23-2021, 03:58 PM

192 posts, read 160,900 times
Quote:
I answered my own question with a Google search. https://6abc.com/laurel-rittenhouse-...xury/10657934/

It's nice to see that Philadelphia is getting a nice addition to the luxury gym market. I wonder how many people they'll poach from City Fitness.
I mean, I'd guess that anyone who lives in CC who is at this price point is probably a member at Fitler Club already - which is much nicer, with way more offerings, than a typical Equnox. Also, the luxury market would be more Bellevue than $60/mth CF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia