Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 12:34 PM

1,697 posts, read 970,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Again, that's because of people are being priced out of New York, it has nothing to do with Philadelphia being a good city, and quite frankly- you get what you pay for.

If the real estate Market in Philadelphia was just as high as New York, there would be virtually no reason to move here. Affordability is the city's only saving grace and somehow had the least population increase compared to it's more expensive "neighbors".
Absolutely wrong.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:55 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Absolutely wrong.
"Absolutely wrong"

Here it is from Philadelphia, affordability is literally in the title.

https://centercityphila.org/news/mor...hia-job-growth

Deny it all you want, affordability and location to New York (and DC) are Philadelphia's only calling cards. Nobody moves here to manifest their dreams and careers like in NYC, Atlanta or LA ect; they move here because it's cheap. Philadelphia get's other cities rejects, while New York and the others get Philadelphia's best.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:57 PM

744 posts, read 774,953 times
Quote:
Again, that's because of people are being priced out of New York, it has nothing to do with Philadelphia being a good city, and quite frankly- you get what you pay for.

If the real estate Market in Philadelphia was just as high as New York, there would be virtually no reason to move here. Affordability is the city's only saving grace and somehow had the least population increase compared to it's more expensive "neighbors".
What a strange argument. Just because Philadelphia has less than New York doesn't mean that it has nothing. I, and most of my Philly friends, moved here from elsewhere. I have friends from DC, NYC, Upstate New York, Boston, North Carolina, Cincinatti, and San Francisco. Most of us tend to care about having urban amenities, like walkability, good restaurants, good cultural opportunities, diversity, neighborhood bars at the end of the street etc. But we also care about our quality of life, almost all of my friends own their own home, literally none of my friends in New York do.

Very few of my friends here are attracted to the prestige factor of new York. They don't care about being near the ultra fashionable or the ultra wealthy. The reality is that unless you are working in Fashion, Finance, or entertainment then chances are you are working a job comparable to the job you would be working in Philadelphia.

I could have moved to New York but when I took stock of what I could get in New York that I couldn't get here I realized that I didn't care about the things I was supposedly missing out on. If you do care then that is great go try it out; however your need to put Philadelphia down to justify your desire to move is pathetic. Grow up.

Old 12-08-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
What a strange argument. Just because Philadelphia has less than New York doesn't mean that it has nothing. I, and most of my Philly friends, moved here from elsewhere. I have friends from DC, NYC, Upstate New York, Boston, North Carolina, Cincinatti, and San Francisco. Most of us tend to care about having urban amenities, like walkability, good restaurants, good cultural opportunities, diversity, neighborhood bars at the end of the street etc. But we also care about our quality of life, almost all of my friends own their own home, literally none of my friends in New York do.

Very few of my friends here are attracted to the prestige factor of new York. They don't care about being near the ultra fashionable or the ultra wealthy. The reality is that unless you are working in Fashion, Finance, or entertainment then chances are you are working a job comparable to the job you would be working in Philadelphia.

I could have moved to New York but when I took stock of what I could get in New York that I couldn't get here I realized that I didn't care about the things I was supposedly missing out on. If you do care then that is great go try it out; however your need to put Philadelphia down to justify your desire to move is pathetic. Grow up.
Boston, DC, and New York all outperformed Philadelphia on growth. You and others can use the "my friend" example all you want, the numbers don't lie. Despite being cheap, Philadelphia still can't attract as many residents as DC, Boston, or NYC. I've said it before and i'll reiterate it again: Most people would rather live frugal in Boston than "well off" in Philadelphia. Foreigners dream about living out the 'American Dream' in New York and DC, and for a good reason. Philadelphia attracts poor immigrants: New York, Boston and DC attract wealthy diplomats, dignitaries, and foreigners who own oil companies lol

Old 12-08-2021, 01:48 PM

1,697 posts, read 970,615 times
Quote:
Boston, DC, and New York all outperformed Philadelphia on growth. You and others can use the "my friend" example all you want, the numbers don't lie. Despite being cheap, Philadelphia still can't attract as many residents as DC, Boston, or NYC. I've said it before and i'll reiterate it again: Most people would rather live frugal in Boston than "well off" in Philadelphia. Foreigners dream about living out the 'American Dream' in New York and DC, and for a good reason. Philadelphia attracts poor immigrants: New York, Boston and DC attract wealthy diplomats, dignitaries, and foreigners who own oil companies lol
You have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. I've lived in NYC, DC and Boston. I could afford to live in any one of those cities right now and I would choose Philly over any of those towns.

Just leave already. You're biased against Philly and for whatever reason, you need to try and convince others.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:34 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Is anyone confused with Ashby's strange posts? He used to be pro-Philly and called out trolls, but the recent posts are odd (and untrue).

He put me on ignore, so he won't see this.

Last edited by cpomp; 12-08-2021 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 02:49 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
MOD NOTE - Looks like a reminder is needed about this thread. If you want to keep talking NYC vs Philadelphia go to the city vs. city forum. The purpose of this thread is to corral crime posts to stay in one thread so as not to take over the Philadelphia page here on citi-data. Starting now, 5/26/19, I'm going to ask posters to post links when they cite crime activity to bring clarity to the thread. As per city-data TOS, no racist or rude remarks are allowed. Report comments that break the TOS, do not respond to off topic remarks - report them.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:40 PM

1,026 posts, read 446,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Regarding the article I shared a few days ago, it mentioned that Mayor Kenney recruited Outlaw from Portland, Or. (I knew she came from there, but didn't know there were recruitment efforts).

Does anyone know why that was? Strong credentials? Filling the Progressive agenda? She seems like an okay person (unlike Krasner), but woefully unprepared for her job, I had that feeling from Day 1, and here we are now.
Kenney kept his Police Commissioner recruitment secret, at least to the public, and Outlaw's selection was not due to her strong job credentials but was due to the Identity Politics part of the Progressive agenda.

Outlaw did come from Portland, a city that had 35 homicides in 2019 (but is now a sh$t-show having broken its '80s record as it heads to 100 with a now declining police force).

Kenney was in his ''I'm a Progressive now'' phase 2017-2019 when he feted Meek Mill as the symbol of ''criminal reform'' in America's embedded systemic racism...never mind the fact that Mill had a black female judge finally throw the book at him and was later helicoptered from jail to a Sixers game to ring the faux liberty bell at half-court...hell, we even had a Meek Mill Day in Philly!

Then Mill and Malcolm Jenkins got in on the police commissioner selection process by holding community meetings to discuss what they want in a new commissioner. Mill's expertise in all things police-community was being able to give a big F-u to the local judicial system while Jenkins was rooted in doing 1 ride-along with PPD. Mill-Jenkins setting policy...lol.

Outlaw ain't going back to Portland now...and hate to cast doubt on expectations with NYC's new mayor who said in advance that he is looking for a female = including Outlaw as the new Commissioner as all candidates are Identity Politics related but at least Adams is upfront and somewhat transparent.

Outlaw is denying all of this...here's hoping she's in the Big Apple by January!

Last edited by MPK21; 12-08-2021 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 08:02 PM

Anti-Violence Advocate Gunned Down in North Philadelphia

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...lphia/3070289/

2 dead, 5 wounded in separate Philly shootings

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philly...-20211207.html

Old 12-09-2021, 10:49 AM

1,026 posts, read 446,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Regarding the article I shared a few days ago, it mentioned that Mayor Kenney recruited Outlaw from Portland, Or. (I knew she came from there, but didn't know there were recruitment efforts).

Does anyone know why that was? Strong credentials? Filling the Progressive agenda? She seems like an okay person (unlike Krasner), but woefully unprepared for her job, I had that feeling from Day 1, and here we are now.
Maybe you should give your New York City friends a heads-up on their potential new police commissioner, at least the ones not caught-up in Identity Politics...lol...whether Outlaw is selected to run the largest police department in the U.S. remains to be seen, but in her head, she's been completely validated as doing an excellent job in Philly...lol.

I have lowered expectations now from NYC's mayor-elect; what's with politicians or anyone announcing in advance that they have a certain sex or race requirement for a job, especially one as important as the police commissioner in any city, let alone NYC, or as we saw in 2020, the requirement for a ''black female vice president''. Talk about a limited pool of candidates, but actual qualifications don't matter anymore...lol. Pre-determined outcomes, which is the current rage, will always lead to a disaster.

BTW, this is not a headline from The Onion:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20211209.html

Last edited by MPK21; 12-09-2021 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia