Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2022, 01:15 PM

1,026 posts, read 447,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
First off: Oops! I had my protests confused. The one I was thinking about wasn't a G7 summit, and it wasn't held in Portland.

It was a meeting of the World Trade Organization in Seattle in 1999. Outlaw had already arrived here by George Floyd Weekend 2020.

Understood...

It takes two to tango. I'm not saying she's not ineffective, but if this stuff is so intuitive, why hasn't the PPD been doing it? I'd like to suggest that if McNesby is representative of the attitude of the rank and file, that explains more IMO than who's in charge.

The Mayor is in charge of the Police Department and hired our current Commissioner.

Perhaps I misinterpreted you, but it seemed to me you made that connection in Post 5081.

Yes, misunderstood; Jenkins & Mill not into the politics part of identity politics...they're more about their branding for $$ and sticking their sports and rapping noses into topics like hiring police commissioners is a branch of their $$ trees.

Um, video of the struggle officers had trying to get Floyd into the patrol car was publicly available. It was also shot by an observer, like the footage of the officer with his knee on Floyd's neck.

I'm guessing you consider the murder conviction that officer got illegitimate as well.

Was asking about the police bodycam footage, not someone on the street video clip. The actual cop bodycam video is about 30 minutes and was never formally released to the public...for some reason.

The pressure related to the cop's knee was on Floyd's shoulder blade, not his neck as Floys died of a heart attack, not asphyxiation.

There was reasonable doubt as to the cop being the proximate cause of Floyd's heart attack death; dude ingested fatal doses of fenty. and meth...was already high as a kite, violently resisted cops...howling mob outside the courthouse...national guard in MSP due to recent cop-perp incident...jurors names/addresses published...saw armed troops as they went in and out of courthouse...not sequestered; activist juror lied during vior dire about BLM activities-day after verdict video of him at BLM rally in DC June 2020...

So yeah, I have serious doubts to the verdict...but it is what it is. Glad Philly didn't burn down April 2021..cuz it would have otherwise.

Those protests ended well before Election Day 2020. They had been pretty much put down by the following weekend. This essay I wrote in their wake landed me on CBS3 two days later. And by the following weekend, there were no protests, riots or looting here in Philly, in part because the National Guard had finally been called in.

Your recounting of continuous riots, looting and protests up until Election Day also rings false.

there was the June 2020 riots, looting, and protests....then we had, and still do, basically free for all looting at retail today....then the homeless protest on the Parkway from July-October, when white activists ''held'' part of the Parkway, and onto public streets (young man killed one night, speeding, as he hit the blocked ''held'' encampment...then we had the week before the election with the Walter Wallace shooting...when white activists went into West Philly to fight police and set off another round of looting, rioting...national guard came in, we all went into curfew....the recount week; had the election not been ''won'' by Biden...well think about it.

Plus there were occasional protests all summer but most of the white activists were gone for the summer ie. at their shore homes.

The allowed protest, looting, and rioting was a general strategy for the election, not limited to Philly (Portland had daily rioting from Mayh 2020-November 2020).

Philly was book-ended from May 30-November 7 2020...so no, my recounting of continuous riots, looting, and protests rings true...maybe not all 3 went on at the same time but Philly was a key protest center.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I shy away from using the word mental illness, but I have trouble rationalizing how someone who could be a "leader" looks at the constant amount of anti-social destructive behavior and is like "oh we need to block outside investment! limit new people from moving in! We need to keep everything the same! For the community!" What community? The network of self-serving non-profits that siphons away tens of millions of dollars every year for... what? What progress has been accomplished? Its like the "safe needle" give-aways. Talk about nonsense that has caused the OD of countless people and countless lives lost because they're given a false notion that there is something "safe" about doing hard drugs. Like so many 'well-intentioned' things like that, they are completely divorced from reality and come from a real place of privilege.
It's called ''job'' security whether it's for community activists ($$ handed to) to politicians.

Basically keeping people in the weeds and dependent.

Not necessarily coming from a place of privilege though, at least not the community ''leaders''. The walk-away patronizing racist white people or those simply manipulating the black communtiy for their political ends is another story.

Last edited by MPK21; 08-04-2022 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Woman Gets 2 1/2 Years in Philly Police Car Fires Amid 2020 Protest

I know cpomp just posted this, but I did want to comment on it as it's been a few years now and I have my thoughts pretty straight on the matter now.. A lot of people seem to have tried to block the specific details of the summer of 2020 out of their mind.

1. There was a riot on May 30th, 2020 in Center City that bled over into other neighborhoods on May 31st and June 1st. Anyone telling you it was "peaceful protest" or a crowd of people "looking to relieve their pain" are absolute lying sacks of crap looking to advance their own agenda.

2. There were not "riots" and "looting" all summer like the right-wing narrative goes. There was: many illegal bombings of mail boxes. The trash didn't get picked up. Endless dirt bike gangs. That June, with all the lockdowns/etc., it felt like the end of the world as we know it.

3. I posted an incredibly damning video of white people (supposedly 'progressive' SJWs, but in reality no more than a two-bit clown privileged anarchists) throwing bricks through businesses on Walnut. I'm pissed at myself for not saving a hard copy of the video on my computer. It was removed from my youtube account. The post on Reddit I saw it on disappeared. And now there is little evidence of Reclaim Philadelphia's privileged woke riot. I'm telling anyone, it was not "angry black men" rioting. In fact, the media and liberals trying to portray that as happening is in fact very racist in itself.

4. The media acting like the protestors on 95 were innocent victims was pathetic. It was bozo white kids from the suburbs dressed up in hockey gear looking to smash things because they felt like they missed out the day before.

To me, it all added up to what I call "opening pandora's box of anti-social behavior". Kids, young men and women, saw how little consequence there was to so much criminal activity, and that it made it "seem okay" and normal. So it's no surprise to me that zero of the goals of the protestors were accomplished and, in many regards, race relations in the country have got worse since.
Pretty much spot on here except there were continuous protests in Philly, from 5/30-11/7 with varying levels of rioting, looting (still going on today in a sense), protests (Parkway, Wallace shooting 10/20, election week vote counting)....

No can explain how all this protesting stopped after 11/7/20 though.

The main culprits as I've been saying and blaming are there white activists/anarchists (recall that Antifa doesn't really exist) and anyone thinking that 5/30/20 was a nationwide spontaneous peoples' protest is truly naive).

These same idiots were instrumental in the now crime and homicide fallout (The Floyd Effect).

Agree the losers on the highway needed to be disbursed; recall the 34 yo white woman who got peppered sprayed and couldn't retell the story as she broke into tears post-event while sitting next to her attorney suing PPD)...slobby middle aged woman sitting in a highway for George Floyd...smh

These are not ''kids'' but the naivete, mentality, and behaviour is kid like for sure which is why everyone says ''the kids''; despite these loser being well into the 20s and 30s.

True, Pandora's Box fully opened as a consequence. People may have different reasons as to how and why Pandora's Box exploded...but it's open wide now and has been since June 2020.

We're now well into year 3 of the Floyd Effect....Philly's homicide count now exceeding to date 2021's pace, which was an all time homicide record.

Old 08-04-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There was a point within the past couple of months where homicides were down over 10% year-over-year, but unfortunately summer violence trends did not follow suit.

I know it's become en vogue to trash and blame politicians for all of the ills of the city. While much better leadership would at least give some sense of things "being taken care of," at some point, we all have to recognize the severe lack of resources to tackle a very complex, multi-faceted and multi-generational problem.

Violent crime certainly didn't just appear in 2020. It's been an awful intractable problem in Philadelphia going back decades. But most recently, what's been crippled is--as in many big cities like Philadelphia--a sense of control over it, and the fact that accountability has all been tossed out the window.

Philadelphians have to get that sense of control back, and it's going to take a lot more than any Mayor or DA to get there. Everyone behaving with a constant sense of fear only emboldens those with criminal intent, as well.
No one said violent crime didn't exist pre 2020...but 2020 saw the largest uptick in violent crime ever year over year...and it flipped in summer 2020.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:03 PM

473 posts, read 273,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
We're now well into year 3 of the Floyd Effect....Philly's homicide count now exceeding to date 2021's pace, which was an all time homicide record.
The same happened in Baltimore following the Freddie Gray riots, 7 years later nothing has changed and the city's whole resurgence/crime decline was ruined.

Philly is much larger and in a far better position than Baltimore was, so hopefully things take a turn for the better soon - maybe with Kenney's replacement.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
The same happened in Baltimore following the Freddie Gray riots, 7 years later nothing has changed and the city's whole resurgence/crime decline was ruined.

Philly is much larger and in a far better position than Baltimore was, so hopefully things take a turn for the better soon - maybe with Kenney's replacement.
Ah yes, the Freddy Gray situation in 2015 Baltimore. A local incident that pretty much stayed local, besides the rioting, more ominous was what Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby did. There was certainly no ''Gray Effect'' but the U.S. was in the ''Ferguson Effect'' when this happened.

Just a day or so after this happened, Mosby stood on the courthouse steps and announced charges with promised convictions against all officers involved. Of course this was all prior to any investigation, fact finding, or evidence gathering. Thereafter, Mosby put 9 cops on separate political show trials; all were acquitted or found not guilty as she put the community through trial after trial...resulting in all cops walking.

By 2015 though then President Obama had set the precedent by going on national TV convicting cops in local incidents with black males before any investigation, fact finding, or evidence gathering had even started (ie Ferguson, MO). All the incidents that Obama ran his mouth about and ordered separate DOJ investigations on resulted in no charges or civil rights violations. Obama appears on national TV about a 2016 local incident in Louisianna; next day or so, 5 Dallas cops are assassinated...then he goes to Dallas to give one of his patented ''race speeches'' at a memorial service...

Yet the convictions before fact finding standard was set and remains so. The cops in the Floyd case were charged before the autopsy results were concluded let alone before any investigation was under way.

Yes, Baltimore had a reversal since 2015 after seeing some population gains. Mosby remains in office so, like Philly, we elect our shady DA as much as Baltimore re-elects Mosby.

Replacing Kenney isn't the solution; no one can run on a ''law and order'' platform in 2020s Philly. Law & Order is considered racist and some kinda ''dog whistling'' nonsense.

The perception of the city must be that it's a safe place to live, visit, work etc.; that's a current challenge though.

Philly saw at least 60+ homicides just in July (that has to be record, which of course isn't on the ''news'') and since about July 1 through August 8, the city has gone from about 255 to 337 homicides.

We're now 13 murders over 2021 to date, a 4% increase.

PPD is looking for recruits; where are all the SJWs and community activists joing the PPD to create the reform from within they're such experts on otherwise?

Old 08-09-2022, 01:10 PM

473 posts, read 273,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Ah yes, the Freddy Gray situation in 2015 Baltimore. A local incident that pretty much stayed local, besides the rioting, more ominous was what Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby did. There was certainly no ''Gray Effect'' but the U.S. was in the ''Ferguson Effect'' when this happened.

Just a day or so after this happened, Mosby stood on the courthouse steps and announced charges with promised convictions against all officers involved. Of course this was all prior to any investigation, fact finding, or evidence gathering. Thereafter, Mosby put 9 cops on separate political show trials; all were acquitted or found not guilty as she put the community through trial after trial...resulting in all cops walking.

By 2015 though then President Obama had set the precedent by going on national TV convicting cops in local incidents with black males before any investigation, fact finding, or evidence gathering had even started (ie Ferguson, MO). All the incidents that Obama ran his mouth about and ordered separate DOJ investigations on resulted in no charges or civil rights violations. Obama appears on national TV about a 2016 local incident in Louisianna; next day or so, 5 Dallas cops are assassinated...then he goes to Dallas to give one of his patented ''race speeches'' at a memorial service...

Yet the convictions before fact finding standard was set and remains so. The cops in the Floyd case were charged before the autopsy results were concluded let alone before any investigation was under way.

Yes, Baltimore had a reversal since 2015 after seeing some population gains. Mosby remains in office so, like Philly, we elect our shady DA as much as Baltimore re-elects Mosby.

Replacing Kenney isn't the solution; no one can run on a ''law and order'' platform in 2020s Philly. Law & Order is considered racist and some kinda ''dog whistling'' nonsense.

The perception of the city must be that it's a safe place to live, visit, work etc.; that's a current challenge though.

Philly saw at least 60+ homicides just in July (that has to be record, which of course isn't on the ''news'') and since about July 1 through August 8, the city has gone from about 255 to 337 homicides.

We're now 13 murders over 2021 to date, a 4% increase.

PPD is looking for recruits; where are all the SJWs and community activists joing the PPD to create the reform from within they're such experts on otherwise?
If a "law and order" candidate can get elected in NYC, why not here? While Krasner was re-elected by a wide margin, I'd think people are only getting more fed up with how things are going. I'm loving life in Center City but not blind to what's happening elsewhere - the amount of murders, and shootings with 30+ rounds fired is insane lately. Hopefully others are taking notice as well and will vote for something different.

Also related - what happened to declaring Kensington as an emergency area? That was brought up by council members in April and I've heard absolutely nothing about it since. Imagine how much things could improve all over the city if that were addressed...

Old 08-10-2022, 11:44 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
If a "law and order" candidate can get elected in NYC, why not here? While Krasner was re-elected by a wide margin, I'd think people are only getting more fed up with how things are going. I'm loving life in Center City but not blind to what's happening elsewhere - the amount of murders, and shootings with 30+ rounds fired is insane lately. Hopefully others are taking notice as well and will vote for something different.

Also related - what happened to declaring Kensington as an emergency area? That was brought up by council members in April and I've heard absolutely nothing about it since. Imagine how much things could improve all over the city if that were addressed...
I would support both measures, but the idea of “law and order” is a total joke and pretty cringe after you-know-who. We need leaders who support serious responses to serious crimes, but also who understand the nuances of leading a complex city like Philadelphia.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 08-10-2022 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-10-2022, 12:15 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,905 times
Poo poo "law and order" all you want but I think tougher laws can work. As a random example, a few years ago it became a felony to mishandle classified documents, that used to carry up to a 1 year sentence, now it carries a 5 year sentence. Just a random example but I assume that has served as a major deterrent.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:51 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Poo poo "law and order" all you want but I think tougher laws can work. As a random example, a few years ago it became a felony to mishandle classified documents, that used to carry up to a 1 year sentence, now it carries a 5 year sentence. Just a random example but I assume that has served as a major deterrent.
Point is, the term is absolute cringe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia