Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM

701 posts, read 1,697,300 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to buy a house later this year and have been checking out the listings around the Ridley Park area. I'm currently living in Ridley Park, but I'm trying to keep my search widened enough. At what point do the townships just get too shady? Is Morton safe? Secane? Primos?

I'm trying to find a place north of the Blue Route so I don't have to deal with that commute - the Ridley Park commute into CC is just about as good as I think it can get. So I'd like to find a place that's either off exit 9 or exit 8 from 95.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 01:43 PM

434 posts, read 1,316,474 times
It sounds to me like you're looking for a reasonable commute between Delaware County and Center City. If that's the case, don't be afraid to expand your search to areas that would put you on the Blue Route at exit 3 ("Media/Swarthmore"), rather than just areas "north of the Blue Route". The traffic between that exit and 95 North isn't bad at all in the morning (mostly because the lane drop and associated traffic slowdown happens north of there). The return in the afternoon is more difficult, though most of the traffic at the 95S/476N interchange continues on 95S toward Delaware. You'd be impacted by that same tie up anyway, at least a bit, if you're going to Ridley Park.

And, to answer your more direct question, I don't think Morton is shady. (Don't know much about Secane or Primos.)

Old 05-06-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
It sounds to me like you're looking for a reasonable commute between Delaware County and Center City. If that's the case, don't be afraid to expand your search to areas that would put you on the Blue Route at exit 3 ("Media/Swarthmore"), rather than just areas "north of the Blue Route". The traffic between that exit and 95 North isn't bad at all in the morning (mostly because the lane drop and associated traffic slowdown happens north of there). The return in the afternoon is more difficult, though most of the traffic at the 95S/476N interchange continues on 95S toward Delaware. You'd be impacted by that same tie up anyway, at least a bit, if you're going to Ridley Park.

And, to answer your more direct question, I don't think Morton is shady. (Don't know much about Secane or Primos.)
Thanks! In my experience, from listening to traffic reports and dealing with the commute to and from Ridley Park, a move to Media/Swarthmore would add a good 15-20 minutes to my commute in the evening. As much as I enjoyed Media when I was working in Haverford, I would not want that added time, which is why I was looking to avoid the Blue Route. Good to know about Morton - it seems nice from what I've seen driving through.

Still curious what others think.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM

53 posts, read 102,723 times
Secane and Primos are fine, they are both basically extentions of Clifton Heights.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM

364 posts, read 735,410 times
Morton is not shady at all. Don't let that small ghetto on 420 across from BJs or MacDade's dinginess scare you. Secane is also fine and Primos is OK. I personally find parts of Clifton Heights, Yeadon, and Collingdale charming but they are decidedly more downmarket. It takes a little bit of Delco savvy to see those places in a positive light.

You might want to consider Lansdowne as you can just take Baltimore right into UCity.

Why are you driving instead of taking the train?

Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
Morton is not shady at all. Don't let that small ghetto on 420 across from BJs or MacDade's dinginess scare you. Secane is also fine and Primos is OK. I personally find parts of Clifton Heights, Yeadon, and Collingdale charming but they are decidedly more downmarket. It takes a little bit of Delco savvy to see those places in a positive light.

You might want to consider Lansdowne as you can just take Baltimore right into UCity.

Why are you driving instead of taking the train?
Thanks. I'm going to Center City (Rittenhouse Square), so I'm not sure I fancy a Baltimore Pike commute every day, but I'll look at travel times for a few weeks to see what it's like.

I think I've posted a few times here about why I drive rather than take the train, but it boils down to the fact that I abhor public transportation. I get motion sickness, I hate being smushed up next to some random person I don't know, and I don't like living by some company's schedule that's not my own. In addition, at least one day a week I don't get off work until 6:30 and thus can't catch the last rush hour train out of the city, so I really have to drive that day (unless I want to stay in the city until 7:30, which I don't). So it doesn't make sense to buy a monthly pass since I wouldn't get my money's worth for it. And if I can pay $10 to park or $10 to take the train, I'm going to pay $10 to park every time, even considering the gas.

Where I live now it's a ten minute walk to the train. So that means I have to leave at 8:12 to catch an 8:22 train. When I get off the train I've got a 10 minute walk to work by 9 am. Or, I could leave my house at 8:25, drive to the garage in CC and still get to work at 9 am. The extra 15 or so minutes of sleep in the morning is worth it too!

I did give the train an honest chance for about three months when I first moved here and took the job. But sleep and my natural hatred of the train won out in the end.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 414,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
I abhor public transportation. I get motion sickness, I hate being smushed up next to some random person I don't know, and I don't like living by some company's schedule that's not my own.
You're not alone - there are many others who feel this way.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:49 AM

584 posts, read 1,428,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Thanks. I'm going to Center City (Rittenhouse Square), so I'm not sure I fancy a Baltimore Pike commute every day, but I'll look at travel times for a few weeks to see what it's like.
If you're not opposed to take Rte 3 into the city, then Drexel Hill might be an option to pursue.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:20 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,363,302 times
Morton is an okay area, and it's split bwtween Ridley and Springfield townships (though most of it, I believe is in Ridley). Don't quote me, but I think the tax structure is similar. In Drexel Hill, you'll pay OBSCENE taxes if you own a home. Why not try and purchase something right in Ridley Park where you are now? You want to be close to 95, and you're familiar with the town. You didn't mention a price range, but you could probably get a solid home in RP in the low 200's.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Morton is an okay area, and it's split bwtween Ridley and Springfield townships (though most of it, I believe is in Ridley). Don't quote me, but I think the tax structure is similar. In Drexel Hill, you'll pay OBSCENE taxes if you own a home. Why not try and purchase something right in Ridley Park where you are now? You want to be close to 95, and you're familiar with the town. You didn't mention a price range, but you could probably get a solid home in RP in the low 200's.
I am definitely going to try to buy in RP. I just see a lot of nice little houses in the Morton and Folsom area and wondered how far out from RP was still okay. Price range will be up to $250k, but I'd rather spend in the low 200s or even lower if I can since I'm single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia